Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rotisserie Duck / Egg Tips

Options
Folks - doing a little more crowdsourcing in advance of cooking a couple ducks on the egg tonight. I am planning on using my new Joetisserie for the first time and want to see if anyone else has had experience with this and duck .... should I include smoke or not ? Assume plate setter with a drip tray to catch all the fat ? Any other pointers ? 

Comments

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    jfine1 said:
    Folks - doing a little more crowdsourcing in advance of cooking a couple ducks on the egg tonight. I am planning on using my new Joetisserie for the first time and want to see if anyone else has had experience with this and duck .... should I include smoke or not ? Assume plate setter with a drip tray to catch all the fat ? Any other pointers ? 
    @jfine1 a couple thoughts. With the Joetisserie, the challenge is balancing outside appearance with internal doneness. And in the case of duck, you need enough time to render fat, while not burning the skin. Not an easy thing to accomplish because we're talking direct cooking here. So what i do is heap up the charcoal to the backside of the firebox. that gives you the same heat in the egg, but less exposure to the "flame" for the skin. also - there is A LOT of drippings and you need to find a way to avoid them going straight to the base of the egg (remember, the charcoal is not spread evenly across the fire grate, so the dripping don't burn off like they normally would upon hitting the charcoal). I line the base of the egg (below the fire grate, so as not to obstruct airflow) with foil. it's a completely different way of cooking, so throw everything you know about raised direct cooking out the window. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited July 2017
    Options
    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD DRIP PAN, LOTS GREASE.  ALSO I WILL SOMETIMES TAKE  A FEW TEA BAGS PLACE CONTENTS IN AN ALUMINUM POUCH WITH A FEW HOLES AND TOSS ON FOR SMOKE.  http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1196415&catid=1

Afew more thoughts
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=659610&catid=1

If you have leftovers a wok cook
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1152397&catid=1

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=596159&catid=1

PS make sure you have some schezuan pepper corns and salt ground and mixed for dipping.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD DRIP PAN, LOTS GREASE.  ALSO I WILL SOMETIMES TAKE  A FEW TEA BAGS PLACE CONTENTS IN AN ALUMINUM POUCH WITH A FEW HOLES AND TOSS ON FOR SMOKE.  http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1196415&catid=1

Very cool cook. Can't believe I missed it the first time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You're jumping right into the deep end, with no floaties or supervision.

Personally, I'd go to the store and sub out the ducks for chicken.  Much more forgiving on your first spin.

If you're committed, slash the skin, and toss some seasoned taters in your drip pan.  

Mound up your fire to one side of the spit.  The Joetisserie direct Egg setup will work against you on this cook, but you could work around it.  Stir the taters every 15 min or so to keep the duck fat from burning.  I always start slow 250 for an hr, and work my way up the temp to finish, usually 350-400 at the end.

With the taters in the pan, I wouldn't add smoke.

I commend you for attempting this for guests without a trial run, nothing worse than bad duck, well there is one thing, lol...good luck.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    Focker said:

Personally, I'd go to the store and sub out the ducks for chicken.  Much more forgiving on your first spin.

If you're committed, slash the skin, and toss some seasoned taters in your drip pan.  

Mound up your fire to one side of the spit.  The Joetisserie direct Egg setup will work against you on this cook, but you could work around it.  Stir the taters every 15 min or so to keep the duck fat from burning.  I always start slow 250 for an hr, and work my way up the temp to finish, usually 350-400 at the end.

I commend you for attempting this for guests without a trial run, nothing worse than bad duck, well there is one thing, lol...good luck.

Duck fat and taters...Nothing better!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Focker said:

Duck fat and taters...Nothing better!
    Yessir!

Dug up a pic, spinning a chicken with a bunch of root veg in the CI drip pan.  This did not suck.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Focker said:

This.

Also, I have never cooked indirect with my Joetisserie.  That is going to make things crowded and you are going to lose one of the big advantages of using the Joetisserie.  Personally, I would suggest buying a good pack of bone in, skin on chicken breasts.  Marinate them, season them heavily (you can use different seasonings per breast) and cook them on the Joetisserie at about 275-300.  Add a little smoke at the beginning.  You will be amazed at the color, flavor, and the ease of the cook.  Here is one I did recently.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    One way that you can do the duck is to blanch it first in chicken broth after peircing the skin all over with a fork.  Take care to just poke through the skin and not the meat. We've had great results doing it this way and finishing it in the oven; I can't wait to try it on the egg.

Ina Garten has a recipe for it here:
     http://www.food network.com/recipes/ina-garten/roast-duck-recipe-1942077.

There are a few upsides doing the duck this way.  The overall cooking time of the duck is greatly reduced.  The braise removes ALOT of the duck fat AND you can harvest it for use later 'cause everyone knows that anything fried in duck fat is fabulous!   The duck is super moist and is a blank canvas for finishing.  We normally take a Chinese spin and finish it like a Peking duck...  just an idea.
    Southwestern CT