Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Beautiful loaves there Blake. I have not ventured down the Bread path as yet but,  you are inspiring me. Have a great holiday!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Thanks. Right back at you @northGAcock
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    20stone said:
    The bread game is string with this group. It has me motivated to pop up off my backside and bang some out. 
    We banged out a couple levain loaves out of the Forkish book (while also banging out a few sourdough pizzas). 

My razor game is wanting, but the bread tastes great. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Beautiful results

• 20stone
    B747crew said:
    Beautiful results

You know how some craft items have a tag that say something like "some imperfections are a sign of the variation in our natural products and the nature of a handmade product". 

You night notice that the rings from the banneton are a bit off center. "Off center banneton marks are a sign of the bakers lack of dexterity in dumping dough from a banneton into a blazing hot Dutch oven."

Thanks though. The dough felt great, and does nicely witha dab of butta
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @20stone What do you dust your bannetons with? Rice flour? Flour? 50/50 mix? 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    SciAggie said:
    Rice flour
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    5qt double dutch lodge CI is your friend

Also check out Fourneau....google it and read all about it....kickstarter campaign filled up in 24 hrs.....
  • NPHuskerFL
    @westernbbq
    In regards to the Fourneau they had a hellava response. I don't own one nor do I intend to. The MM with a stone has given me killer results. And the LBGE using a 5qt DO or straight onto a stone has been good to me. Preheating is of great importance. If going straight onto a stone my best results have been overshooting the 500F mark and going straight to 600F. Just before placing the loaf onto the stone take a damp bar rag and swipe it over the stone to quickly cool it, launch your dough/loaf onto the stone and then quickly add your steam and shut the dome. If your using a DO preheat the egg and DO (of course indirect) to 500F...lid on 15-20 minutes and finish lid off at about 450F until finished with desired color. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    20stone said:
    SciAggie said:
    Rice flour
    I have personally grown fond using a 50/50 mix of brown rice flour and bread flour in my bannetons &/or proofing baskets. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    My ideal will be straight to the stone in the LBGE. 

One cookbook I've read advocated generating steam by filling a half sheet with heavy chain in the pre-heat, and hitting it w a Super Soaker when the bread goes in. I have a drip pan that would work for the LBGE and plan on giving it a shot. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    On a related topic: I had some sourdough pizza dough that's been in the refrigerator since Friday. Today was a toss it/ eat it decision. I made a focaccia. Flattened, dimpled, brushed with olive oil. It cooked for 10 minutes with retained heat in the wfo - at 400 degrees. Once it came out I brushed it with butter and sprinkled some fleur de sel on top. This was pretty dang good. This eased my butt hurt from the Friday bread fail, lol. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    @NPHuskerFL

I likethe technique and havent tried it yet, thanks mucho for the description....

As to founeau, anytime a new cooking gadget comes out, fourneau, uuni, minimax, smobot etc, i pretty much have the green light from the boss to get it

So when forneau arrives, ill post results here and do a comparison....my goal is to male incredible baguette and cibatta breads...
  • NPHuskerFL
    I'm piggybacking my old thread because I'm too lazy to start another one. Hey, at least I'm honest :grin:
    This loaf is a white sourdough levain base with 20% spelt.... 3,2,1 method loaf with some mods to hit a 92%-95% hydration. Why so wet?  It'll make sense shortly. Hand mixed to a shaggy mass. Let sit covered with a damp tea towel 1 hr.  Then began folds. 30 min rest between folds and repeated for 5x...then into the cooler for a 16hr bulk fermentation.
    Removed from the cooler & allowed to warm up for roughly 1 hr. Then began to fold this in and used roughly three-quarters of the bag plus another quarter cup of chopped pecans.

After several folds it was shaped into a boule. Baked in Lodge CI DO. 

Crumb Shot. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    That's looks amazing Blake!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 20stone said:
    20stone said:
    The bread game is string with this group. It has me motivated to pop up off my backside and bang some out. 
    We banged out a couple levain loaves out of the Forkish book (while also banging out a few sourdough pizzas). 

My razor game is wanting, but the bread tastes great. 

Would hate to see you shave.

Just kidding. 

Your bread looks great!
  • All posted loaves look amazing, very inspiring!

How did ya'll procure your starter?  DIY? 
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • NPHuskerFL
    @oldgeezeystax Thanks! Starter &/or levain is flour + water allowed to capture airborne bacteria to form a rising agent/natural yeast. I made my own but, like all things I'm sure it's available as a kit on the interweb. My next starter will be from blueberries as a base of bacteria or wild berries. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Most recent sourdough loaf. Close to a 48hr banneton cold proof...aka almost forgot I put it in the outdoor cooler. Measuring was instinctual (by feel)...approx 30% spelt. Scoring looked like an oak tree sans leaves and gave an interesting crust. Decent ears too.  Baked in DO. I'll slice it later today. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    Nice oven spring. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    SciAggie said:
    Nice oven spring. 
    Thanks Gary!  The levain was twice fed and at its peak upon incorporating to the water and flour. Slap fold for 3 sets and then every 30-40 minutes I did gentle "envelope" folds. Final shaping and into banneton after about 6 his (before bed on Thursday).  Pulled from cooler Saturday and placed into oven with tea towel over the bannetons with the oven light on to finish final proofing. I'll post a sliced shot later. I'm hoping for a nice open and somewhat consistent crumb.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Crumb shot from the above loaf. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    That will make a great sammich...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    SciAggie said:
    That will make a great sammich...
    Sammy. Brunch at 8 :wink:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's a purty loaf!

I've been trying to respond to your PM all day, but can't get a damn pic to upload. Love that pattern.  I need to get more creative with mine. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking

It worked!! This was my hurricane Harvey loaf posted in another thread. 20% whole wheat, 70% hydration. Way lower than yours , coz I can't deal with dough that wet yet. 

• caliking

Here's the hurricane loaf. 

• NPHuskerFL
    caliking said:
    That's a purty loaf!

I've been trying to respond to your PM all day, but can't get a damn pic to upload. Love that pattern.  I need to get more creative with mine. 
    Looks great!  It takes practice with higher hydration but, once you've done it a few dozen times it becomes easier. Your crumb turned out very nice. Enjoy the eats. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    I just scrolled up and noticed the crazy oven spring on that loaf. 

I'm a fan of the more closed crumb since the butter doesn't drip through :)

• SciAggie
    I need to get back to making bread...
    Nice work fellas. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon