Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite cut of steak?

Options

Comments

• Reltserw
    Reltserw Posts: 45
    Options
    Porter. House. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Ribeye and Fillet. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Thick cut ribeye. Bone in or tomahawk is a bonus. 2"+ thick. 
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Bone in ribeye or porterhouse.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    1.bribery
    2.bacon wrapped filet
    3 T bone
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    1.ribeye, but bribery is good when you overcook em
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I'm a T-bone man.  It's a porterhouse without getting too full.  I prefer my T-bone blackened and served with a super cold draft beer.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    A good 1.5" to 2" thick ribeye for me.   Hot BGE and 3 minutes per side. 
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Not many think this is premium, but prime sirloin, 2" thick, cooked rare, is divine.
    This, except not wimpy 2". 3" is better. We have the butcher cut it thick and we cook it like a big tri tip. Served as slices. It's awesome. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I am partial to the Ribey.  NY Strip and Porterhouse come in at 2nd. On Fathers Day my daughter called and asked if I was free for dinner and what I would want. She was thinking of going out for dinner and I assumed she was going to egg. Decided that a dinner on the Egg was best and that we would do this on Monday rather than Sunday. She shops quite a bit at Wegman's. She picked up several dry-aged Ribeye steaks. Seasoned them with Meat Church; not sure which one. It was to die for. Even the restaurant at the Hilton, which serves a SRF steak , would not have beat that steak.

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I love all steaks and it's so hard to choose, so I'd go with a thick porterhouse so I at least get to pick two steaks :)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Medium rare!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Filet Mignon,  only because my doctor said its less bad for me than that oh so tasty ribeye!
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    I like a ribeye, but the alternative cuts are where it's at. Tough to beat a good bavette. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    one of my favorite cuts but not impressive, newyork sirloin.  here its the whole rump sliced but im guessing most parts only serve the bottom round, thats too bad because each of those sections differ in taste and texture and it cooks better cooked as one giant piece

httpsusv-cdnnet5017260uploadsFileUploaddaeac0390a412469b5699d18fad0709cjpg
    Thick cut rump steak in a big slab like that is super juicy off the Egg. Our butcher usually has whole rump so you can get it as thick as you want, minimum 28 days aged often more.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'm number one porterhouse number 2 ribeye

if your wanting to impress company and are on a hot streak with ribeyes do that
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited January 19
    Options
    Wondering what people's opinions are on the cost/slice of different beef cut. I read of people using sous vide to tenderize chuck etc.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Tell us more Jonesy...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I feel like filet Mignon is my jam. Love the consistency of every bite that comes with filet. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I feel like filet Mignon is my jam. Love the consistency of every bite that comes with filet. 
    When it comes to a filet I love them but only when cooked inside and covered with Bearnaise sauce as personally I find them rather tasteless. But when it comes to a grilled steak then I'm a ribeye guy all the way! 
    Remember No fat No taste, Know fat Know Taste!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

My absolute least favorite. 

I like a ribeye, but these days, I don't really want a giant slab of meat on a plate.  We like to do flank steaks (bavette is a similar cut) so we can slice to order - and you also get a nice gradient of doneness. 

I will also select teres major.

NOLA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Rib eye cap.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    Skirt steak gets cooked most often here. Like @buzd504 said, I don’t want a gigantic slab of meat on the plate.  
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 354
    Options
    Tri tip for the win
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    A dry-aged, reverse seared ribeye is really hard to beat in my experience.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    one of my favorite cuts but not impressive, newyork sirloin.  here its the whole rump sliced but im guessing most parts only serve the bottom round, thats too bad because each of those sections differ in taste and texture and it cooks better cooked as one giant piece

httpsusv-cdnnet5017260uploadsFileUploaddaeac0390a412469b5699d18fad0709cjpg
    The only thing those taters are missing is my fork........
    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Ribeye but sliced, whole steak I’m firmly in the 1/2” camp any cut 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    I would like good looking choice  or prime ribeye about 1 or 1.5" thick to sear then pull and then put in the fridge to cool.  While ribeye was cooling, I would cut some onions, red bell pepper and mushrooms, season them and saute them in some tallow.  Then I would slice the ribeye as thin as I could and throw the slices and maybe add a little worcestershire. Anyone who wants a philly cheese steak would have a hoagie bun toasted or untoasted and provolone and/or pepper jack cheese on theirs.  We have egged potatoes rubbed with bacon drippings and cooked to 205* for the side.  Our favorite way to eat steak.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.