Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Italy. Hells to the yeah!

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited June 2017 in Off Topic
Italy has been amazing. 4 Days to go and havent scratched the surface. A few fun notes and anyone who wants granular detail can ask. 

1) Italy is cool. Come here if you can. Dont worry about the "it's too hot in the summer" or
"there are tourists everywhere" haters. Summer is hot and tourists go where it's awesome. We skipped a large part of the crowds by planning to stay off the grid and that was the right call for us.

2) Rome- loaded with tourists, grifters, gypsies, jugglers, and thieves. My least favorite were the jugglers. Rome is awesome. Go there, watch your wallet

3) Ischia vs Capri. For our mediteranian fix we went to Ischia which is a few miles from Capri. Right call for us. Freaking sureal island with a castle, ya know, just because. We ate at 2-star Dani Mason (more on this later) and a bunch of seaside places. Seaside mom and pops won by a landlside.  

4) Tuscany- go here, camp out for as long as you can. We rented a villa with @lakewade and bride for a week. Highlly tecommended (not @lakewade, he is a d.i.c.k). Food, wine, 1000 year old villages full of wonderful people. Amazing. 

We have laughed more than can I recall,
drank way more than we should, eaten way more than could possibly be healthy, and seen way more weird $hit than i knew existed. 

I'll post more stuff as we go but just wanted a place to drop my thoughts as the materialze. 

Carry on-

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Definitely looking for more details!  Italy is at the top of the bucket list.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2017
    2 Michelin Star Dani Maison sucks balls. We knew it was going to be an asswhip but none of us had ever been to a Michelin rated place before, much less a 2 star so we all decided to pay up and go. $275 per, dealer's choice. I dont recall a single bite that had not already been pre-digested in some way through a grinder, centrifuge, or some other tricked up modernist cuisine bull$hit technique that you can get from a website. All the food was paste, gel, foam, pre-chewed garbage. Pretty garbage, but garbage. 6 courses in we asked them to stop bringing food and let us leave in peace. They would not. They kept bringing, we kept letting them
    pick it up uneaten. Finally dessert came. We were full of baby food and cranky but the desserts were pretty special. They then swiftly  broke a wine glass on our table and 6 little guys in white gloves just silently wiped it off and left the desserts on the table. We all nibbled a bit around the then paid our ransom so we could
    leave. The chef came out, signed out menus and asked if we would like individual photos with him. Uh...read the room, dude. We declined and went on our merry way. 

I will say that the grounds were gorgeous. Meticulously trimmed like a Dr. Suess book cover. The food was also gorgeous. The only problem was, it tasted like baby food. All of it 
    except dessert. It tasted like glass. 
  • Getting some odd pic
    posts here. Im currently in a 400
    year old home with modern intereeb. Something must give. I'll keep trying 

• Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    LOL - stick to the mom and pop restaurants in Italy, for sure.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• This is was my dessert. Pretty crazy and had real smoked tobacco in it...gross. Still
    the most fun thing on the table all night. 
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker .... First, let's hear about the "weird sh!t" that you didn't know exist.  Second, more info about Tuscany, please.  

Going to Italy and specifically Tuscany is on my wife's bucket list... so by default it's on my bucket list as well.  Funny thing is that the additional LGBE that's on MY bucket list doesn't default to her's.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Keep um coming....enjoying your trip myself.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited June 2017
    Lol it looks like you paid more for the art design than actual food.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Italy is on my bucket list.  Keep the pics coming as you can. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    We love Italy.  Enjoy!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I "grew up" in southern Italy (Taranto) from 60-64 as the son of an Air Force officer.  I was 10 to 13 years old and can only say that I really treasure this part of my childhood.

Southern Italy, as opposed to Northern Italy is very much like US North and South as being culturally diverse. 

My spousal unit and I went back in 2000 as part of a motorcycle trip/event and stayed in Bologna and Rimini up north and east and had a ball. 

I still have fond memories (and desires to return to) southern Italy.  Have a great trip and keep up the photos!!

Ciao
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    Italy, schmitaly.  Whatever.  No jealousy here.

On a more serious note, it sounds like a $275 dinner is what you go for when you have grown weary of $150 dinners and are looking for a change from just great food cooked great...

I'll probably never get to that place.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• sunder1025
    sunder1025 Posts: 24
    The wife and I are seriously starting to think abut buying a little vacation property somewhere in Tuscany.  It's always been a dream of mine, and with the way their economy is going, it's starting to look more and more financially possible.
    Toronto, ON - Large
  • We spent 10 days in Italy in March - Rome, Venice and Tuscany. Absolutely LOVED it.  The smallest, least assuming places always had the best food. 

This place - https://www.trattoriadatito.it/en/ served the most amazing Florentine Ribeye. 

Can't wait to go back.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    I definitely want to go to Tuscany. Keep the pictures flowing.

i didnt recognize any of that stuff you called food. Thanks for the heads up.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Stoogie said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker .... First, let's hear about the "weird sh!t" that you didn't know exist.  Second, more info about Tuscany, please.  

Going to Italy and specifically Tuscany is on my wife's bucket list... so by default it's on my bucket list as well.  Funny thing is that the additional LGBE that's on MY bucket list doesn't default to her's.
    Ok. Here you go. How about an 800 year old nun's mummified severed head who claims she wore baby Jesus' holy foreskin as a wedding band. I am not kidding 

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/st-dominics-basilica

• And only she could see it. Thats what made her a saint. And she was like 13 
  • Her body is in Rome but she was so revered in Siena that a crew was sent to bring her home.  All that made it was her severed head and a toe. It is as revered today as it was 800 years ago. Oh yeah- her foot is in Venice. We will be there Saturday and you can bet your ass Im going to see that foot. 
  • JRWhitee said:
    Lol it looks like you paid more for the art design than actual food.
    Totally. We thought we knew what we were in for but we were so wrong. It was an interesting few days after that. 
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Now that is some weird stuff!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Her body is in Rome but she was so revered in Siena that a crew was sent to bring her home.  All that made it was her severed head and a toe. It is as revered today as it was 800 years ago. Oh yeah- her foot is in Venice. We will be there Saturday and you can bet your ass Im going to see that foot. 
    This made me laugh. Glad I didn't have water in my mouth. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    We'll need a pic of the foot.  That way, when I do make it over there I can spend less time in Venice and more time in Tuscany.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:

On a more serious note, it sounds like a $275 dinner is what you go for when you have grown weary of $150 dinners and are looking for a change from just great food cooked great...

Plus it sucked balls. At least the $150 place didn't offer to take pictures with you and autograph your menu...after you clearly told them you would rather leave than eat the last 5 courses. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Keep'em coming.  I've been to Turin, Milan and Rome.  Would love to make it to Tuscany and Venice.  One day...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NEKEgger
    NEKEgger Posts: 22
    As probably the only Italian citizen on this forum, I agree that Italy is a fantastic place!  I would, however, never go to a Michelin star restaurant in Italy.  They don't serve Italian food, and the food you can get just about any neighborhood restaurant is fantastic at a fraction of the price.  The key is to avoid the tourist trap restaurants.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Foghorn said:

Plus it sucked balls. At least the $150 place didn't offer to take pictures with you and autograph your menu...after you clearly told them you would rather leave than eat the last 5 courses. 
    Maybe something was lost in translation.  :)

My friend lived in Tuscany and was in charge of the construction of a resort property.  We stayed in the 300 year old farmhouse they put him up in for the 5 years he was there.  So beautiful and the food was incredible everywhere we went.  https://www.castellodicasole.com/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA