Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father's Day Score

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited June 2017 in EggHead Forum
So, for Father's Day, my wife woke me up and said, "hey, lets drive to Austin to do a BBQ crawl".  She clearly knows me well, and it most definitely was great day of food and fun with the fam.

First stop was Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ for some breakfast tacos!

The Real Deal Holyfield, the best BBQ taco on the planet!

Brisket taco with sea salt guacamole 

Miguel is one cool cat!

It was a great visit!  Next time, I'll be more specific and ask for point in our tacos.  The flour tortillas and serrano salsa were on point!

Our next stop, we hit up Micklethwait Craft Meats (#8 TX Monthly Top 50)!

Photo bomb :lol:

3 meat plate (brisket, rib and lamb sausage) served with jalapeno cheese grits & campfire beans

The pork spare rib was the highlight of the 3 meat plate.

This beef short rib was really special!!  It was 2nd best beef rib I've ever had!  The house made pickles were really good too.

Pretty great spot to hit with a short wait compared to other Austin staples.  Good BBQ across the board.

We have two spots done on our BBQ Passport...48 to go.  
B) 

We took a break and watched Cars 3 with the kids to get a little hungry again.  After which, we hit up a non BBQ spot that Cen Tex has been raving about.  What we came for was technically brisket, and was easily the best brisket we had on Father's Day (as John said it would be). 

The pastrami was unreal and is certainly a must visit spot if you're ever in Austin.  Best pastrami I've ever had and it wasn't even close.  After we demolished the 1/2 pound plate, I ordered a sandwich and 2 lbs to go.

The pizza was very good, but we took most of it to go.

Definitely a memorable Father's Day! :)
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments