Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$6.6 million beach front estate, & I bet the designer has never cooked on an egg.

Comments

• Looks like they did not plan ahead for the egg.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    What strikes me as weird is that there looks to be a regular kitchen behind it. So that room is the out door kitchen, but it isn't. Looks like the seats may face some louvered doors, and that might be a bug light in front of the doors into the interior kitchen.

Any one visited "McMansion Hell?"
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    An Egg inside? I bet that the insurance company doesn't know about that.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    gdenby said:
    What strikes me as weird is that there looks to be a regular kitchen behind it. So that room is the out door kitchen, but it isn't. Looks like the seats may face some louvered doors, and that might be a bug light in front of the doors into the interior kitchen.

That's a porch.  Look at the window on the right.
    At least they put in a door so the ashes could be cleaned out. And we don't know, perhaps there is some type of electronic lazy Susan type thing the egg is sitting on to turn it so you can actually see the thermometer and clean out the ashes when you need to. Clearly there is not enough room behind the egg to open it and clear the dome, so you just turn it sideways when you want to open it. Easy peasy with a 6.6 million budget. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    At least they put in a door so the ashes could be cleaned out. And we don't know, perhaps there is some type of electronic lazy Susan type thing the egg is sitting on to turn it so you can actually see the thermometer and clean out the ashes when you need to. Clearly there is not enough room behind the egg to open it and clear the dome, so you just turn it sideways when you want to open it. Easy peasy with a 6.6 million budget. 
    Or, they could have just positioned the base/bands so that the ash door still faces the front while the dome is opened to the side. Easier Peasier.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    HeavyG said:
    Or, they could have just positioned the base/bands so that the ash door still faces the front while the dome is opened to the side. Easier Peasier.
    they should have spun the dome as well, my thermo faces the chair, not the handle
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    HeavyG said:
    they should have spun the dome as well, my thermo faces the chair, not the handle
    good point fish.  You can be pretty clever sometimes.
    HeavyG said:
    Yeah, but if you were smart enough to do that don't you guess you might be smart enough to position the thermometer to where it is viewable too?
  • nolaegghead
    =)
    Although now that I look at it closer, if that door on the left were closed you could actually stand there right in front of the thermometer and easily open the egg, so never mind.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    I heard of people cooking without the daisy wheel top, but, can you still cook with the bottom vent blocked and just the top open?  If you need the bottom door open to do an overnight, anyone could walk by and accidentally close the bottom door coming in/out the porch and we'll be seeing another "Safe to eat" post.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• nolaegghead
    SmyrnaGA said:
    I heard of people cooking without the daisy wheel top, but, can you still cook with the bottom vent blocked and just the top open?  If you need the bottom door open to do an overnight, anyone could walk by and accidentally close the bottom door coming in/out the porch and we'll be seeing another "Safe to eat" post.
    No, the egg will go out with the bottom vent closed. 

I suspect the bottom vent works fine, although you can't see it in the picture because the cabinet door is closed.  Unless they put the egg in there air tight with caulk and a gasket.
    HeavyG said:
    Yeah, but if you were smart enough to do that don't you guess you might be smart enough to position the thermometer to where it is viewable too?
    Good point. On the other hand they may use it mostly for grilling and don't really care what the dome thermo reads. 

In either case it does seem clear the Egg was an afterthought and the designer probably had an "ooops" moment.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I don't think their personal chef uses it much.
  • fishlessman
    for 6.6 mil, they have cheap tastes.  come on, an egg and a gasser, thats pretty tacky
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    That'll make a nice starter home for somebody. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    It's a porch.

Too funny
    New Albany, Ohio 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

That picture makes me realize that I'm at the other end of the spectrum.  I like nice stuff, but nothing about me is for show - and I'm dirty.  That grilling environment would have me on eggshells.

I guess it all works out though, since I'm short about 6,599,999.

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    =)
    you bastard =)
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    gdenby said:

That's a porch.  Look at the window on the right.
    That's Observant!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    I vaguely remember that place. Bourbon slushies and @RRP cooking on the egg. It's Ron's place!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Of course it is. @SGH lives in the trailor across the street. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    That bug light looking thing over the door is a heater of sorts I believe. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Nice view. You would think with the money they spent on the place, they could have redone that grill area so the egg would open properly. Also not build it right next to the door in case there's an ocean breeze and smoke isn't going up the vent hood. And it must be hot getting to the grill with that heater right above the door.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    That color scheme is so last year.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    YukonRon said:
    That color scheme is so last year.
    I know.  It's depressing, actually.  I'd rather live in my tiny, cluttered, cat-infested house.

Insofar as the egg and eggernomics are concerned....I don't see anything wrong with it.  You got Ron's money, you can put a couple XLs on the deck to make up for the tiny junk there.  The average one percent-er joe who doesn't know a BGE from a flower pot can laugh at anyone who criticizes it, at least 99 percent of 'em.