Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Probe -- Grill Temp?

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
As I posted in another discussion, I am considering getting a better probe to monitor temps as a cook is ongoing.  I have a cheap Walmart probe now and use it to measure temp inside of the meat.  When close, I use a Thermapen to determine actual temp and make a pull or stay decision.  I am considering purchasing the Maverick 732.  But I am wondering if it is really helpful (or necessary) to measure the grill temperature?  Aren't most instructions and recipes on the egg based upon Dome Temperature?    If so, what is the benefit to measuring Grill Temp -- especially with Indirect Cooks?   I am probably overthinking this, but could someone clarify?
Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I measure grill, but realistically on long long cooks, there is not much different between grill and some...sometimes I just clip my probe in the dome thermometer stem
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    You wouldn't want the umpire to calling balls and strikes from the stands right?  You want him/her behind the plate so they're right where the action is occurring.  Same with indirect cooking in the egg ... don't rely on the temp probe in the stands ... get your umpire right near the protein where the cooking is taking place.

Just ignore the ranting and raving from the "Domers" ... they're stuck in the past with old beliefs!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Here comes a "Domer".  Doesn't really matter what you use as long as you are confident in the reading and know how your BGE behaves with said indicator.  
    You are correct in that the convention here is that any reference temp is the dome thermo as that is the one indicator they all have, unless otherwise specified.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Grid.....
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    As long as you use the same one and stick to it, that's the reference point. Dome for me, plus most on here use dome as the reference when refering to cook temperatures so it's easy to follow when looking at other Eggers' cooks.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Use one or the other.  If you use both, the differences between the two could drive you crazy.  I use dome because it is easy, the probe is in the same place every time and most discussion around here use it.  Grid probes can vary quite a bit depending on the exact placement relative to hot drafts, the closeness to the meat, etc.  As to having the probe down where the action is, you should place probes next to each side of the meat and just above and just below.  Then compare the temps on all six sides and then decide if grid temps are for you.  I also find it hard to find a good grid placement when cooking a lot of food - the food gets priority for grid space around here.  Also realize that the dome probe is often closer to the top of the meat than a grid probe giving you a better reading of the heat cooking the top of the meat which is often more representative of the cook than the heat off to the side of the meat.  

But most important - exact temp is not critical to almost any of the cooks on the egg.  Steady temps and being able to tell when the temp is increasing or decreasing are what you really need to be aware of.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I've found that if I fasten the alligator clip on either the Maverick 732 or the FlameBoss 200 to the tip of the BGE dome thermometer, they agree within about 5°F which is amazingly close. Since I started doing that I'm completely relaxed about it.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I seldom use a probe in the food, but when I do, I use it much like you do. When the food probe is getting close, the Thermapen is then called upon to render the final decision. 
    On every indirect cook, I use the grid or what most call pit temp. Important to have the pit probe in the shadow of your deflector, plate setter or stone or whatever. 
    Nothing wrong with either the 732 or the 733, but the Thermoworks Smoke, like the Thermapen is the best $100 you will ever spend
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • usswaspcvs18
    Options
    New to green egg and was frustrated.  My son bought me a flameboss 200 for my birthday and its great.   I've done a 6lb brisket and split chicken.  Today i'm doing turkey theighs    itss like set it and forget...  i can check progress using my cell phone and it sends me a txt message when it reaches cook temp
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    its good for overnighters with the alarms. i trust things enough now that i dont use my maverick any more but its nice to have if your not up to speed with those long overnight cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nathanogle51
    Nathanogle51 Posts: 52
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I was amazed at the difference in grid temps versus dome temps once I started measuring the grid temp. Since then, I feel like my cooks have become much more consistent. With that being said, it's all about the temperature of the meat, right? So, I would say find which you like better (dome or grid) and use your thermapen. 

Dec. 2016: Large BGE
    Covington, GA via Rocky Top, TN
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I measure grate and dome temp in my device. Which one I go by depends on what I'm cooking, but most of the time I go by grate. You'd be amazed at the difference at the beginning of the cook, it will mess with your head. It takes a long time but eventually both will be the same reading on L&S cooks. Like mentioned, pick one and learn to cook using it. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Did I mention I am OCD? You can't improve anything until you measure what you have. I use dome, pit, and Thermapen.
    I wear a belt and suspenders, tie my shoes with a double knot, and check to see if I locked the doors several times, before leaving, then go back and unlock the door, re enter our home, to make sure the water has been completely turned off. Process repeated.
    My Beautiful Wife, is a saint. I know I drive her nuts.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I generally use pit/grate on my Large. 95% of my cooks al L&S.

Havent developed a preference on the MM yet but it's used more like a grill than a smoker so temps not as critical.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group