Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Cook With The Stick Burner

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,026
Here's the back story of the smoker for anyone who is interested:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205528/i-sold-my-xl-and-small-egg-ill-shirley-miss-them/p1

I was hoping to pull out the smoker Saturday and crack some beers but the rain ruined that idea. Sunday didn't look any better according to my weather app on my phone. Dang! I woke up around 5:45am Sunday morning and the very first thing I did was double check my weather app. It went from 50-60% chance of rain all day down to 40% chance for a couple hours. Woohoo!!! So I rolled out of bed and grabbed a couple pork shoulders, couple racks of ribs, and corned beef that has been waiting to be cooked. Nothing super complicated for my first cook. 

I started with the corned beef and pork butts. The ribs eventually made their way to the smoker a few hours later:

The corned beef was the first to finish:

Ribs waiting to be sauced:

Sauced:

Butts finishing up:

Taters wrapped up:

Plated:

A little overkill for the wife and I. We ended up bringing some to my parents, mother-in-law, and wife's grandma. Nice to spread the love.

Still plenty to learn with this smoker. My fire management is still pretty poor. I felt like I was feeding it a stick every 15-20 minutes. That will need to be adjusted. It's definitely a lot more work tending a fire but enjoyable. The smoke profile was fantastic. The pulled pork was a little more dry compared to the BGE. Not a huge difference but slightly noticeable. The ribs and corned beef seemed to be on point. Nice and tender. I even got a text from my wife complimenting the leftover ribs today. I'll maybe inject the pork shoulder next time or buy the pork that I typically tend to buy. These were a different brand pork shoulders. I'd say it was a success but with room to improve. An enjoyable cook nontheless. Thanks for looking!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Awesome!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks amazing!  Nice man. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    Looks great and a ton of fun!
    Las Vegas, NV

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    What @SmyrnaGA said - Awesome! 
    The issue with a stick burner is having to stay awake to tend the fire, most eggers have slid into that "coma" cook mode. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    fantastic looking cooker - CONGRATS!!!  your food looks terrific...envious of your gig and hope you enjoy every beverage while stoking the fire!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Overkill? lol.  The overkill ship sailed when you brought a cooker like that onto your property.  

Everything looks great.  For me, there isn't anything more relaxing than feeding sticks on a Sunday.

Have fun.

Phoenix 
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Great way to break her in at your place!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice lookin' spread all around.
    No doubt, you'll get things dialed in.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Sticks for the win...and for the operator engagement.  The near-constant monitoring comes with the territory as you know.  Just pace the sticks and adult supervisory beverages.
    Great cook and results right there.  Go big or go home.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Cook looks killer. I'm loving those bones. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Love the idea of a stick burner, but a full-time job for sure! Maybe in retirement for me. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Very nice!! Overall tough to beat the quality of a stick burner, love the egg for easy...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @lkapigian - the biggest taste difference I notice is with ribs, both beef and pork.  I am quite partial to the stick burner for those.  Beyond that it is easier to get a nice "clean" (for lack of a better word) smoke flavor with the burner but not as pronounced a difference as with the ribs, at least for me.   However, when I'm on the clock for a brisket 1 PM (slice and eat) schedule, BGE to the rescue as will be the deal for National Brisket Day this Sunday.
    Apologize for the partial hi-jack.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Food looks great! Really jumping into the deep end with your first cook there and looks like you were rewarded.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks splendid. You have a very nice stick burner. I have access to one that's not nearly as nice. I use it for butts, ribs, and brisket when I'm willing to baby-sit the fire. I do think the flavor is superior from a stick burner but it is more effort. I'm anxious to see more cooks in the future. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    AWESOME looking cook!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    ... Still plenty to learn with this smoker. My fire management is still pretty poor. I felt like I was feeding it a stick every 15-20 minutes.... It's definitely a lot more work tending a fire but enjoyable....
    Your food looks AMAZING, and I bet it was just as wonderful as it looked!

I've never cooked on one of those, but my guess is that I'd love it at least as much as the BGE, and probably more.  I'm just too lazy!  :)  My sense of it is that people who are really good are probably tending to the fire more like once an hour, once it's going right, but still, that's feeding and tending to the fire once an hour, hour after hour, and paying a LOT more attention, and doing a LOT more mopping, etc., than with an Egg.  For me, the BGE is by far a better choice, but I envy and admire those who are willing to put in the devotion and hours of careful fire and smoke management in cooking with that kind of smoker.  Way cool!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    nailed it!!!!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Very cool post. thanks for sharing

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Great cook and results. Ironically, I look at days when I get to feed my stickburner as "luxurious".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice post. Keep us up please. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Awesome cook my friend, congrats on the change in lifestyle. I am one of those folks who enjoy the enthusiasm of others when cooking, especially with a newer system. I am also one of those that sit and indulge with a BGE, as I like doing nothing and telling everyone it is important that I monitor the cook. A stick burner may cut into that time.
    I am lazy. There, I said it.
    Keep the posts coming. I might talk myself into getting one. Or not. Did I mention I am lazy?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Awesome cook my friend, congrats on the change in lifestyle. I am one of those folks who enjoy the enthusiasm of others when cooking, especially with a newer system. I am also one of those that sit and indulge with a BGE, as I like doing nothing and telling everyone it is important that I monitor the cook. A stick burner may cut into that time.
    I am lazy. There, I said it.
    Keep the posts coming. I might talk myself into getting one. Or not. Did I mention I am lazy?
    When your wife sees through that ruse you will need a stickburner.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    That is awesome.... and yes I'm jealous 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @YukonRon- any serving or prior military member knows how to manage information.  I truly enjoy the mystique afforded by the BGE cooking life-style. I know you can weave whatever cooking environment/scenario into a story that only enhances the BGE's powers when properly overseen with the appropriate adult beverages.
    And as you note-a stick burner is a whole new ball-game.  You need a totally different mind-set but you can still achieve the ever valued escape time.  FWIW-
  • Nathanogle51
    Options
    Nice cook! I can't believe two butts, two rack, corn beef, AND potatoes would be too much for two people
    Dec. 2016: Large BGE
    Covington, GA via Rocky Top, TN
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Why didn't you cook more? I mean good god man. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • WeberWho
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Awesome!
    Thanks!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    That looks amazing!  Nice man. 
    Thanks Brent!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Looks great and a ton of fun!
    Thanks Battleborn! A whole new animal to figure out 

Minnesota