Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RockWood Lump

Options
SaintJohnsEgger
SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
edited May 2017 in EggHead Forum
Going to order some Rockwood lump in the next week or two but I have a few questions:

1. Is Firecreaft the best place to order it?

2. Read somewhere that I should buy in increments of 3 as that is best for shipping purposes. Is that true?
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Yes and yes... Unless you have a local Ace Hardware that carries it. Last I heard,  @stlcharcoal was getting around :) 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,342
    Options
    As above, order 6 bags so you clear the free shipping threshold.  The 3 bag box deal is the way they ship them to really minimize any handling issue on the road.  Unless you can find a local dealer that doesn't hit you with an up-charge then Firecraft is the way to go.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    My local Ace carries it but it's more expensive. I can get free shipping on orders over $99 at FC so I figure to order 6 bags at a time.

I really like It and most of my cooks are on RW. So, stocking up a little should work for me.
    MiniMax 04/17

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I just got my latest shipment of Rockwood yesterday and I have had nothing but good experiences with Firecraft. Haven't opened any of these bags yet, but based on the reasonable size and general lack of dust the handling has been good. Having said that, if my Ace carried it for similar price I would probably purchase there.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    My local Ace carries it but it's more expensive. I can get free shipping on orders over $99 at FC so I figure to order 6 bags at a time.

I really like It and most of my cooks are on RW. So, stocking up a little should work for me.
    You're on the right path. Pull the trigger and enjoy. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Get your six now and be ready to order your next six. That's not a bad price offered by firecraft 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have spoken with FC about the shipping issues a few times. They have beefed up the 2 bag box significantly and i have seen huge improvement in the bags i get in 2 packs. I usually order 6 but sometimes i get 10 to share with buddies. They have fixed the 2 pack box so it ships as clean as the 3 pack box. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    My local Egg dealer carries it. He gives you a punchcard, and when you've bought 10 bags you get one free. Price after that discount is about equivalent to Firecraft before shipping cost, so it's a pretty good deal.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,342
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I may still be in a post-derby bourbon induced fog but if I read the above right (and apply some ciphering) I should order at least one of the 2-packs along with a 3 pack ( clear the free shipping total).  With the effort to order and ship, I'm gonna stay with the 3 pack X2 and reduce my carbon foot-print along the way.  ;)  But thanks for the info-  Your buddies need to get into the X3 bag numbers game  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Welcome back!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Yes and yes... Unless you have a local Ace Hardware that carries it. Last I heard,  @stlcharcoal was getting around :) 

Yes, soon to be available through any Ace Hardware east of the Rockies......with the exception of ND, MN, and WI for now.  Just use sku 8400772 to see if they can order it.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2017
    Options
    1. No
    2. See number 1

You have RW available right in your area at Hagan Ace. Why risk shipping damage. They will match the charcoal or close to it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    @saintjohnsegger Id just wait till I get my Ace rewards coupons and then get 5 or 10 off the bag
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Yes, soon to be available through any Ace Hardware east of the Rockies......with the exception of ND, MN, and WI for now.  Just use sku 8400772 to see if they can order it.
    This would be great. My wife isn't keen on my rockwood x6 habit!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    blind99 said:
    ColtsFan said:

She's not keen on you doing the cooking?? Lol
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I just called my local ace with that sku.  They said I could order it for 26.99 + tax, which is just shy of $30.

I think I'll stick with Firecraft @ 21.95, but it's good to know there are options.

Phoenix 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Will any stores in KC start stocking it without having to order?

@stlcharcoal

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    blasting said:

I just called my local ace with that sku.  They said I could order it for 26.99 + tax, which is just shy of $30.

I think I'll stick with Firecraft @ 21.95, but it's good to know there are options.

Call around if there are other ACEs available. The prices in Metro Atlanta vary from 22.99 to 26.99. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    blind99 said:
    ColtsFan said:

My wife: "how many grills and how much charcoal do you need?!"

me: one more grill than I currently have. And less than three bags of lump is a serious problem. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    blind99 said:
    blind99 said:
    ColtsFan said:

me: one more grill than I currently have. And less than three bags of lump is a serious problem. 
    When the wife starts questioning what I'm doing, I tell her that she's welcome to take over the cooking duties.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Sorry CA. Not Sorry. :lol:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Will any stores in KC start stocking it without having to order?

Not sure yet......Keep an eye on our website.  As soon as there's a consistent order or they contact us, then they get added to the locator.

Sorry CA. Not Sorry. :lol:

It's coming, eventually......gotta get the lawyers together on it. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Good ole CA and their regulations. :wink: Love it or leave it I guess. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited May 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

+1 for SE Florida - I called the nearest 4 stores and they all were $27-$28 each plus tax plus I have to go order it (they won't do it by phone) and then go and pick it up. Much easier to have it delivered to my door.

As I mentioned in another thread, if you order from FireCraft and order other items with your lump, be advised that they will likely be sent in the same box as the lump and may come dirty and/or a bit beat up. Not a problem with hard plastic packages such as rubs which you can just wipe off, but was a problem with boxes of gloves as the dust got into the nooks and crannies in the boxes.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    My Ace has it in stock but it is $27 plus tax. Even with the 5 or 10off it's cheaper to buy from Firecraft.

ill have to see if they will price match. 
    MiniMax 04/17

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Went by my local Ace hardware (on San Jose in Jax) and they matched the Firecraft price. So I bought 2 bags. Would like to have bought more but wasn't financially ready for a big purchase.
    MiniMax 04/17

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Went by my local Ace hardware (on San Jose in Jax) and they matched the Firecraft price. So I bought 2 bags. Would like to have bought more but wasn't financially ready for a big purchase.
    Now that's the kind of place I like to do business with. Of course Firecraft is also a place I like doing business with so you can't go wrong either way.
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    blind99 said:
    blind99 said:
    ColtsFan said:

When the wife starts questioning what I'm doing, I tell her that she's welcome to take over the cooking duties.

@DoubleEgger - That is the winner. I will try that too, when I get my medium for baking. Two bathrooms demo and rebuilt and some landscaping, then that baby is mine. I have 30 bags in my garage, and 5-6 of Carbon del Sur, which if all works out ok, will never be used due to the rockwood.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I am pretty sure ACE has plenty of room to move on anything in their store.  I like the hometown feel of the store and the better customer service but their prices on stuff can be as much as double as it is elsewhere.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I am pretty sure ACE has plenty of room to move on anything in their store.  I like the hometown feel of the store and the better customer service but their prices on stuff can be as much as double as it is elsewhere.

I like the feel too. And I prefer to shop there as opposed to the big box stores.

I was also looking for part for my Polaris 360 pool cleaner and Ace was cheaper on 2 of the 3 parts I needed so I bought them there instead of online.

The guys quote to me was "I'll match it until I can't match it". Their sticker price today was $24.99 so I saved $3 a bag. I had done a screen print of the FC price and took that it. He wrote the price matching instructions on that and signed then dated it. I'll take that in next time to see if they can still match.
    MiniMax 04/17