Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is this stupid knife?

Options
nolabrew
nolabrew Posts: 246

My wife says it's a bread knife.  I say it's for sacrificing Virginians. Anyone know what actual purpose this thing serves?

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Bread tomato knife is my guess 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    That looks like an old school ginsu.  You should be very excited.  They can cut cans in half and then make paper thin slices of tomato.

My wife ended up with one after college that sat unused in our drawer for years until I figured out the best use for it - cutting sod.  I helped a friend lay a few thousand sq feet of sod and that knife was perfect for trimming and when I was done, tossed it out.
  • nolabrew
    Options
    DMW said:
    nolabrew said:

My wife says it's a bread knife.  I say it's for sacrificing Virginians. Anyone know what actual purpose this thing serves?
    They are the worst...
    I know what I said. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,038
    Options
    nolabrew said:

Depends on the curf.  I suspect it is for trimming hedges.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    -Vince (the Slap-Chop/Sham-wow guy) is on the phone to China as we speak. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited May 2017
    Options
    To me it looks similar to this Case knife I bought at an estate sale.  It's for cutting frozen food. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options

Looks like part of a SpiroGraph set. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    To me it looks similar to this Case knife I bought at an estate sale.  It's for cutting frozen food. 
    THE original, Gen 1, Case Sod Buster.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    LDR said:

Looks like part of a SpiroGraph set. 

Memories...you must also be getting up there.   =)
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    It's a pumpkin carving knife.  (I don't really know, just a guess)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    pretty sure i have that same knife, came with the kitchen when i bought the house  19 years ago=)   i keep it next to the front door next to the sickle and baseball bat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    While I know this response will not be in good taste.....I would call it an OJ.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolabrew
    Options
    I'm going to try it on frozen food because that may work. I like the suggestion for sod too.  
  • fishlessman
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    I'm going to try it on frozen food because that may work. I like the suggestion for sod too.  
    only thing i ever remember using it for was cutting a root bound rosemary bush out of a rounded planter, only other way out was to smash the pot
    fukahwee maine

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Found this... Vintage Ginsu it appears possibly. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    Options
    mines still sharp just like the infomercial said back 40  years or so ago =)
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    The Ginsu guy made a killing selling those knifes. I rode with an elevator mechanic when I first started working and one of his stops was the house the ginsu guy bought for his "Atlanta girlfriend" as I was told. It was five stories on the river and had three commercial elevators and one residential elevator including a hospital size unit. The master closet was bigger than my first house (a two story house nonetheless).  :o
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Don't knock the Ginsu.  I got one for "free" as it was included with the purchase of a Wok in the early 1980's.  It still works great and has never been sharpened.  Just for fun a couple of years ago I recreated the commercial for my son and cut a beer can followed by a thinly sliced tomato.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    My advise is throw it away. My Mom forgot it was two sided 30 years ago. Big bad cut trying to push it threw frozen food
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2017
    Options
    otter said:
    My advise is throw it away. My Mom forgot it was two sided 30 years ago. Big bad cut trying to push it threw frozen food
    Couldn't be any worse than the double sided Leech Lake filet knife.

What frozen stuff are we all hacking away at today?

Back in my wilder days, was high with a friend one night, he was splitting two frozen burritos in his hand with a knife.  He got them apart, but it was an instant bloody buzzkill ER visit at 0300, requiring significant intervention.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    In Japan, the hand can be used like a knife...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Focker said:
    otter said:

Back in my wilder days, was high with a friend one night, he was splitting two frozen burritos in his hand with a knife.  He got them apart, but it was an instant bloody buzzkill ER visit at 0300, requiring significant intervention.  =)

About as stupid as a guy I knew who was holding a small log out between his hands while his drunk buddy tried to cut it with a chainsaw! He lost a thumb!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Image result for ginsu meme
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    otter said:

About as stupid as a guy I knew who was holding a small log out between his hands while his drunk buddy tried to cut it with a chainsaw! He lost a thumb!
    i think we all know these people, a friend of mine decided it would be funny to kick a log off a splitting block while my brother was swinging the ax =)
    fukahwee maine

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    i think we all know these people, a friend of mine decided it would be funny to kick a log off a splitting block while my brother was swinging the ax =)
    For fvcks sake, I can't be smart all the time.  Nobody let's these things go!
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • fishlessman
    Options
    home protection

fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Focker said:
    otter said:

I use my Ginsu to cut up clumps of lump.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lookin' good there, Slingblade.

You got any potted meat?  mmmmm hmmmmm