Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! 17" BlackStone burner problem

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2017
    Then you'll get even fewer cooks out of a cylinder. =) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    odie91 said:
    Darn wish I knew about this.  I'm past my 90 at warranty.  I guess I'll have to use the hammer and 2x4 trick on my plate
    @odie91, I bought mine in November 2016. Just got this from Blackstone Live Chat (AnnaLisa)

"...our warranty recently increased to 1 year, so your griddle is under warranty until November of this year."

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    @fishlessman, @rrp and anyone else who needs to know... here ya go. I contacted BS (Live Chat) and she said,

"Some of the griddle tops on the 17" have been warping, but most of them don't. If yours ever did warp, we would replace it with a re-designed one that has a more difficult time warping. I would recommend either registering your product or keeping a copy of your receipt just in case that happens."

Then I asked for a pic of the fix. I laughed when I saw it. =) 

Then she told me that was a prototype and that the factory version looked nicer. Then she sent a pic of the "official" fix. Which, I guess does look better.

Anyway, now you can fix your warped one just like the real deal. =)

Save your receipt!
    Thanks for posting.  In the replacement process with BS now. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

Then she told me that was a prototype and that the factory version looked nicer. Then she sent a pic of the "official" fix. Which, I guess does look better.

Mine looks like your second picture with the support bars just tack welded - not the over done weld job in the prototype that's for sure!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    @fishlessman, @rrp and anyone else who needs to know... here ya go. I contacted BS (Live Chat) and she said,

"Some of the griddle tops on the 17" have been warping, but most of them don't. If yours ever did warp, we would replace it with a re-designed one that has a more difficult time warping. I would recommend either registering your product or keeping a copy of your receipt just in case that happens."

Save your receipt!
    My new 22" has that same type/pattern welded to the underside of the griddle. It seems to have no noticeable effect on the heat distribution of a warmed up griddle and mine has remained perfectly flat (so far anyway).

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:
    Avoid bungee cords if you enjoy vision.
    Please give me/us a clue!  For 40+ years I have avoided those cheap/whimpy cloth covered bungee cords and instead used those VERY sturdy, black rubber ones with the heavy metal S hooks on each end. Want to post your PSA warning? Thank you! 
    Sorry I missed your question Ron.  I've removed quite a few eyes compliments of bungee cords.  Both good and cheap ones.  I have a biased experience no doubt.  They however are not allowed at my house.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    lol pretty funny stuff.    Interesting how they are proactive about fixing the burner problem (my understanding is they changed from round to H), warping pan, but not the grease drip problem.     Seems like a legit company though, not some fly by night outfit
  • HeavyG
    RRP said:
    Thanks for doing the math. Perhaps I'm naive or selling the BS short, but I thought it was a merely a griddle for short fast cooks similar to a wok in that way. "15-30 minutes of cooking" time sounds way too long for my intended use such as for smash burgers and occasional breakfasts of bacon, eggs and pancakes.
    I used my 22" this morning to grill 4 chopped onions and a pound of fairly skinny maple sage breakfast sausages.

Ordinarily I couldn't care less about  the cook duration but I was curious as to how long I would actually have the burners on so I timed it. 

Started the timer when I lit the burners. Took about 3 minutes to get the griddle surface temp to about 300°F (ambient air was 50°F this AM). Oiled it up and spread out the onions across the entire surface. I like my onions to be  mostly browned rather than just softened/translucent. Once they were getting close to that I moved them to one side so I could put on the sausages. Continued to work the onions and turn the snags a few times and when all was done and burners turned off my timer was at 23:00 minutes.

That was with me working at a pace that was a bit accelerated than normal for me. I think my normal pace would have added about 5 more minutes. Most of that might have just been on the warmup as I would have preferred to have the griddle temp at about 350°F-ish. If the snags had been thicker like my usual ones they would have taken quite a bit more time to cook.

I'll be doing some smash burgers in a few days so I'll time that just to see how long I take to do that sort of thing. 

I doubt that I could cook the stuff I routinely want on that griddle in less than 15 minutes from burners on to burners off. I don't eat pancakes but I could see doing some of those in <15 minutes.  Anyway, for those folks that are like the Flash and can do sub-15 minute cooks I salute you!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:
    Thanks for doing the math. Perhaps I'm naive or selling the BS short, but I thought it was a merely a griddle for short fast cooks similar to a wok in that way. "15-30 minutes of cooking" time sounds way too long for my intended use such as for smash burgers and occasional breakfasts of bacon, eggs and pancakes.
    I used my 22" this morning to grill 4 chopped onions and a pound of fairly skinny maple sage breakfast sausages.

Ordinarily I couldn't care less about  the cook duration but I was curious as to how long I would actually have the burners on so I timed it. 

Started the timer when I lit the burners. Took about 3 minutes to get the griddle surface temp to about 300°F (ambient air was 50°F this AM). Oiled it up and spread out the onions across the entire surface. I like my onions to be  mostly browned rather than just softened/translucent. Once they were getting close to that I moved them to one side so I could put on the sausages. Continued to work the onions and turn the snags a few times and when all was done and burners turned off my timer was at 23:00 minutes.

That was with me working at a pace that was a bit accelerated than normal for me. I think my normal pace would have added about 5 more minutes. Most of that might have just been on the warmup as I would have preferred to have the griddle temp at about 350°F-ish. If the snags had been thicker like my usual ones they would have taken quite a bit more time to cook.

I'll be doing some smash burgers in a few days so I'll time that just to see how long I take to do that sort of thing. 

I doubt that I could cook the stuff I routinely want on that griddle in less than 15 minutes from burners on to burners off. I don't eat pancakes but I could see doing some of those in <15 minutes.  Anyway, for those folks that are like the Flash and can do sub-15 minute cooks I salute you!

Thanks for keeping the time! I think I have finished seasoning mine for the first  use. Had to spread it over 2 days due to time constraints. I think there is a pretty good chance I am close to finishing off my first 1 pound green bomb! When MT I plan to weigh the spent bomb vs a new one - both with the regulator attached so I can get an idea how much I have left in future tanks before starting a cook some night. Years ago on my 20# tanks I had some glued on strip which was heat sensitive so you could pour some water on that strip and it would show how many pounds were left. I wonder if there is some trick to doing that with a green bomb - though my plan to weigh it should work in a pinch.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    HeavyG said:

Save your receipt!
    My new 22" has that same type/pattern welded to the underside of the griddle. It seems to have no noticeable effect on the heat distribution of a warmed up griddle and mine has remained perfectly flat (so far anyway).

Can you see the weld marks on the surface of the plate? Is that the normal finish on the surface, no polish?

• HeavyG
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:

Save your receipt!

Can you see the weld marks on the surface of the plate? Is that the normal finish on the surface, no polish?

There was no evidence of any weld marks on the cook surface. The surface on mine was not smooth/polished. The entire cooktop has a kind of "pebbly" yet slick finish on it. According to the manual it leaves the factory coated with a soy oil coating to prevent rust.

I just wiped down the cook surface and cooked a pack of bacon then a few onions as my first use. Didn't bother with any sort of "formal" seasoning process. 

Here's a pic of the bottom of mine - as you can see those tack welds are pretty small:

• Carolina Q
    Even if you could see them when new, they'd be hidden once you seasoned the griddle.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wayne6
    Wayne6 Posts: 6
    Yup. 2-3 cooks tops with 1lbers. 
  • bgebrent
    Darwin is unbelievably reliable.  
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I was also sent photos of the prototypes. The reason I was given for the spots on the top was that those reinforcements were welded on here in the US. The spots are a result of the welding heat and the soy oil coating for shipping from overseas. I would guess the new production reinforced ones are oiled after final production, thus leaving no marks. My new top should be here on Wednesday.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    RRP said:
    DMW said:
    RRP said:
    BTW - does "everybody" know that LOWES sells a 4 pack of COLEMAN 1 pounder LP tanks for $14 plus change? I bet with my occasional BS use I'm set for several years!  =)
    That little griddle burns more gas than you would think. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these next time you're at Lowes:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-3-8-in-0-3125-in-x-48-0-in-Male-Female-Propane-Hose/999919914

Save the Coleman LP tanks for your Bernzomatic torch head.
    LOL - I hear you, but after 25 years lugging 2 big LP tanks after getting them filled then to my back yard and up the steps I decided NO MORE GAS! Thankfully no hernia developed, but at my age I'd rather pitch 4 of these 1 pound non-refillables for no more than what I plan to use my new 17" BlackStone. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE MY BGEs! The 17" BlackStone was an $80 whatever purchase!
    With your money, I would just have my butler take the tanks around for me.  If you had @SGH money I would just park a propane tanker out back and run a hose.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent said:

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    If you had @SGH money 
    You would starve to death if you had my money. However during the 80's I had a pretty decent bank account. The Glory Days of Big Ron was kind to me just as it was to most all working people. However the last 8 miserable years of tax and spend has left me completely destitute. 
    On a more positive note, Trump is loading my bank account up again. The return of the Glory Days is at hand. Peace and prosperity is making a comeback. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    odie91 said:
    Is that a Home Depot "select" grade board?  :smile:

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • odie91
    edited April 2017
    Haha it's packing board came with my miele oven.  Don't ever buy Miele.  Overpriced junk.  Sent me a lemon and two months later they still haven't bothered to fix or replace it.  My dealer is giving them hell and they still drag their feet.  Must have taken their ethics course at Volkswagen institute
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Sent pics of the griddle, receipt from 02/2016.
    Will get the new reinforced top soon.

I know some obsess over an even griddle, but this thing is still in working condition, to channel my inner Francis over embers, or on the kettle.  I kind of like the grease pools, to run the spatula through and smear, prepping the surface for searing.

Just another chunk of steel for the arsenal.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    odie91 said:
    Has that even been used?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    RRP said:
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:

Thanks for keeping the time! I think I have finished seasoning mine for the first  use. Had to spread it over 2 days due to time constraints. I think there is a pretty good chance I am close to finishing off my first 1 pound green bomb! When MT I plan to weigh the spent bomb vs a new one - both with the regulator attached so I can get an idea how much I have left in future tanks before starting a cook some night. Years ago on my 20# tanks I had some glued on strip which was heat sensitive so you could pour some water on that strip and it would show how many pounds were left. I wonder if there is some trick to doing that with a green bomb - though my plan to weigh it should work in a pinch.
    pour a quarter cup boiling water down the side of the little tank then run your hand down the side, the propane level will be the cooler section
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    kl8ton said:
    odie91 said:

=)  the other day at Menards there was a guy ahead of me at checkout just buying one thing. A 2 x 2 x 8 feet that was horribly warped. I mean standing up it looked like a large S it was that bad.  :o
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    RRP said:
    kl8ton said:
    odie91 said:

=)  the other day at Menards there was a guy ahead of me at checkout just buying one thing. A 2 x 2 x 8 feet that was horribly warped. I mean standing up it looked like a large S it was that bad.  :o
    It's probably the best Menards had. Needle in a haystack with Menards 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • odie91
    Focker said:
    odie91 said:
    Has that even been used?
    Haha yep only once. I bought it in November and didn't use it until two weeks ago so I was kind of bummed about the warranty. Customer service said they will send me a new one today
  • Carolina Q
    odie91 said:
    Darn wish I knew about this.  I'm past my 90 at warranty.  I guess I'll have to use the hammer and 2x4 trick on my plate
    @odie91, I bought mine in November 2016. Just got this from Blackstone Live Chat (AnnaLisa)

"...our warranty recently increased to 1 year, so your griddle is under warranty until November of this year."
    odie91 said:
    Haha yep only once. I bought it in November and didn't use it until two weeks ago so I was kind of bummed about the warranty. Customer service said they will send me a new one today
    @odie91, I will try again... it's still under warranty.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    odie91 said:
    Focker said:
    odie91 said:
    Has that even been used?
    Had a welding issue and stripped table screw on my oven, they sent out all parts involved.

Great CS experiences both times.
    Glad I held onto the 17"er's receipt though.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities