Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! 17" BlackStone burner problem

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
Just started to season my new unit and the spark starter didn't work so I lit it with a lighter. Put the oiled griddle top back on and set it at medium heat and let it burn for 10 minutes. Definitely started to blacken. After it cooled down I removed the griddle so I could see what was wrong with the starter, but it worked on the first click! THEN I noticed the two legs of the H shaped burner had already turned dark from the heat, but the cross bar piece of the burner was still nice and shiny!  I called service about that issue and the gal didn't know but offered some canned comment about styrofoam may have gotten inside and clogged the burner!!! I said well the gas which burnt on the outside had to pass through that cross member to get there so I doubt it is clogged. She then suggested I try to manually light the center bar and left it if that didn't work to call back and they would replace the burner assembly! Well I can not get it lit whether on high or low gas so now I'm waiting for a call back about a replacement.
Does your cross bar light up?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    My 28 has H burners and everything lights fine. Gas has to be going thru the center don't know why it wouldn't be coming out and burning on the cross bar. Did you put a battery in the right way to get the clicker to ignite?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yes, the crossbar lights. It has holes in it, of course it's supposed to light. I have the dark vs shiny thing too, but the crossbar lights. As for lighting, how far away is your "ignition needle" from the gas tube? Should be about 1/8-1/4".

@Hntnhrd, what battery? 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    The 17 has no battery. I just talked to service again and they asked me to send a picture of the burner with flames coming from outside legs but with none from the cross bar. I did and of course it shows that shiny cross bar. Looks like a claim is in the making.
  • RRP
    Options
    Here's the proof picture I sent them showing how the middle burner had no flames further evidenced by the shiny nature.

Well I received an email back suggesting I tent a piece of paper across that center to further prove to them there were no flames. Whatever the tenting did caused the cross bar to finally light! Now I have a full burning H and BlackStone service has a new solution if it comes up again as they were surprised as well!
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I am trying to figure out how the right leg lit without transfer from the center bar. The flame must travel from the sparker down the burner progressively.  And I have an Appliance Service business...
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • RRP
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I am trying to figure out how the right leg lit without transfer from the center bar. The flame must travel from the sparker down the burner progressively.  And I have an Appliance Service business...
    Well - my point to them in the first call was that the gas is fed from the center bar to the two outer bars and yes the flame had to have jumped somehow across the non-lit center - but HOW? Anyway all is well now and there is peace in the BlackStone Valley.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    My new 22" also has the H burners. The "legs" of both are discolored but the crossbar of both are still shiny.

I have noticed that the crossbar can be slow to light up.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    Is it an optical illusion or are the holes on the cross bare smaller?
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • RRP
    Options
    Well my cross bar is now black and it lights fine. I have noticed the flames in it are not nearly as robust, but I guess they don't have to be. Next chance I get I plan to check the size of the holes using a welders tip guage I have since I bet that the center bar holes are smaller than the leg holes.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Would make sense to me that the holes on the crossbar might be a tad smaller in order to force more gas out to the legs which have a longer run.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I'd assume the middle holes are smaller than the edges.  The gas won't escape through the middle because the pressure required is greater there than the sides.  (Path of least resistance)  Drill out the middle bar with a drill bit just a hair bigger than the holes themselves.

Also, put a bigger regulator on the inlet to help push more gas to through the system.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Would make sense to me that the holes on the crossbar might be a tad smaller in order to force more gas out to the legs which have a longer run.
    Yes, that's another possibility.  But the middle should light as well.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • HeavyG
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    HeavyG said:
    Yes, that's another possibility.  But the middle should light as well.  
    It does light. It is a much weaker flame and sometimes not all the legs light up together but they do all seem to eventually light.

• RRP
    Options
    BTW - does "everybody" know that LOWES sells a 4 pack of COLEMAN 1 pounder LP tanks for $14 plus change? I bet with my occasional BS use I'm set for several years!  =)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RRP said:
    BTW - does "everybody" know that LOWES sells a 4 pack of COLEMAN 1 pounder LP tanks for $14 plus change? I bet with my occasional BS use I'm set for several years!  =)
    That little griddle burns more gas than you would think. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these next time you're at Lowes:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-3-8-in-0-3125-in-x-48-0-in-Male-Female-Propane-Hose/999919914

Save the Coleman LP tanks for your Bernzomatic torch head.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    Options
    DMW said:
    RRP said:
    That little griddle burns more gas than you would think. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these next time you're at Lowes:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-3-8-in-0-3125-in-x-48-0-in-Male-Female-Propane-Hose/999919914

Agreed. When I ordered my 22" I went ahead and ordered a hose like that to run mine from one of my many 20lb tanks.

One can also order an adapter which allows one to refill those 1lb tanks from a 20lb tank so those little 1lb tanks could be reused for many many years.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Yup. Burned though a tank with a couple burgers and pancakes. Got the hose too. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    Options
    DMW said:
    RRP said:

LOL - I hear you, but after 25 years lugging 2 big LP tanks after getting them filled then to my back yard and up the steps I decided NO MORE GAS! Thankfully no hernia developed, but at my age I'd rather pitch 4 of these 1 pound non-refillables for no more than what I plan to use my new 17" BlackStone. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE MY BGEs! The 17" BlackStone was an $80 whatever purchase!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Options
    FWIW, WallyWorld has the best deal for the green tanks.

No need for a hose here, kind of takes away from the stow and go anywhere beauty of it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B0195MZHBK/RGVH4EIHHBLVO?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    Options
    I'm expecting @SGH to come along and say - "If I had Ron's money I'd use one of those little 1lb tanks for just one cook then throw it away." :)

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    They make 5 and 10 gallon tanks too Ron. Still though I'd opt for the 20. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    Options
    Focker said:

No need for a hose here, kind of takes away from the stow and go anywhere beauty of it.
    Just because you have a hose doesn't mean you have to use it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    Options
    Focker said:

Brandon, guess I'm missing something here...so you are agreeing with me, maybe? The link you posted isn't giving me a clue!
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:

Brandon, guess I'm missing something here...so you are agreeing with me, maybe? The link you posted isn't giving me a clue!
    Yes, I agree.
    I use a bungee and two tanks, like in the pics of that review.  
    If I had a Costco, I'd grab one of those $7 bags in a heartbeat.

Much better than tossing a 20lb tank in the bed to roll around while pulling the camper.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    Options
    Thanks all of you! 

If I had all the money that SGH started saying that I had for some reason years ago then I should just shut my mouth! Whether I use 1 pounders, 10, 15, 20 or whatever the point I was trying to make was I really don't intend to use that 17" BS all that much and 4 tanks from LOWES should last me for years!

BUT I do thank you for helping me spend my social security direct deposit that arrived today!
  • Focker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Focker said:

Then why buy it in the first Fockin place?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Avoid any and all bungee cords.  They are ready made eye removers.  In no way wanting to rain on any parade.  I've lost count of the number.  Bungee cords are bad.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    Options
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:

Hose for at home, little tanks for travel.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Focker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Focker said:
    DMW said:
    Focker said:

Hose for at home, little tanks for travel.
    That's what the 28 is for.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities