Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled then Baked Burgers?

Options
I had a burger the other day at a restaurant in WV that grills, then bakes, their burgers.  They offer a 10oz burger and it takes 30 minutes from ordering to delivery for medium rare.  The burger was absolutely incredible! Unfortunately, I live 2 hours from there, but am already craving the next one.  Will need to recreate the experience at home.

Has anyone tried something similar at home?  I'm curious as to the temperature & time for the grilling portion and baking time.

Happy Friday!

Dave
--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I usually bake burgers first (rasied indirect 300F) then take out the platesetter and turn up the heat to reverse sear.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Sounds like a forward sear 

i like reverse sear better for egging. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    A medium rare burger?  You're a braver man than me! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well, if you like 'em that way, just sous vide or water bath long enough to kill stuff and then sear. This says 40 minutes-2 1/2 hours at 124-129°. http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-burger.html#chart

As for the 10 oz!!! burger... That's not a burger, it's a meatloaf! Why don't you call the place and ask for details. Who knows, they might tell you times and temps. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Eoin said:
    I usually bake burgers first (rasied indirect 300F) then take out the platesetter and turn up the heat to reverse sear.
    I was cooking some Salmon for the ladies in the house indirect so on the other half (half stone) I made some burgers @ 350 raised direct ~20 min, then finished for 5 min at 500.  Very good and moist.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sounds wonderful!  

I make 8oz burgers (weight before cook) and sort of do what you are describing.  I cook them direct at about 450F for about 1.5 minutes on each side (long enough to get a good sear/grill marks), add toppings like bacon and cheese, and then I shut the BGE down completely and let the burgers dwell (bake?) for about 6-8 minutes ... all depends on how you/your guests prefer the internal temp.

We buy ground chuck from a local meat market who grinds their meat in-house and I trust the quality of their meat, so I usually cook my burgers med rare/medium.  

Obviously my method doesn't take 30 min, but I am sure you could make it take that long if you cooked them Trex Style.  
    Let us know what you try! 

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm getting hungry looking at the pictures.  I buy a half cow every year from a buddy, so I've got lots of chuck to work with.  Just pulled 2 pounds out of the freezer for dinner tonight.  Burgers, anyone?
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I always do that for my burgers (although never 10 oz).  Get CI or CS screaming hot, add in a couple spoonfuls of ghee, and put in patties.  Sear for 3-4 minutes on the first side and then flip.  Once you flip, stick in a 300 degree oven and cook until desired level of doneness.

I usually use the gas grill, side burner for the sear, and then into the main part of the grill to finish on the indirect side.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Interesting method, hot sear for crust then a slow, low Dry heat to finish. If it takes thirty minutes for medium rare and it is baked/roasted after the sear, the oven temps must be almost sous vide like, that is not much over the finish temp - for medium rare in the 135-140ºF range. 
    MCAH has a sous vide followed by a deep fried burger that I tried once. Made a good burger was not worth the effort IMO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    DaveM said:
    I had a burger the other day at a restaurant in WV that grills, then bakes, their burgers.  They offer a 10oz burger and it takes 30 minutes from ordering to delivery for medium rare.  The burger was absolutely incredible! Unfortunately, I live 2 hours from there, but am already craving the next one.  Will need to recreate the experience at home.

Has anyone tried something similar at home?  I'm curious as to the temperature & time for the grilling portion and baking time.

Happy Friday!

Dave
    I grill 1/2 lb burgers direct using Grill Grates at 400 dome.

4 minutes per side (turning every 2 mins for sear marks) results in a med rare burger.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you're a burger connoisseur, the medium rare ballpark is where you want to be.  Don't always, but I try to grind my own meat (that came out wrong).  Thanks for the thread - reminds me I'd like to try SV burgers.  130F for 4 or so hours.   Then a quick nuclear sear.
    Options
    im good with a 425 dome temp cook to med/rare.  the longer cook at lower temps gives me an off smoke flavor i dont like.  im a one flipper and off the grill
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Well, if you like 'em that way, just sous vide or water bath long enough to kill stuff and then sear. This says 40 minutes-2 1/2 hours at 124-129°. http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-burger.html#chart

As for the 10 oz!!! burger... That's not a burger, it's a meatloaf! Why don't you call the place and ask for details. Who knows, they might tell you times and temps. =)
    That's exactly what I was going to say! If your cooking a meat patty for 30 minutes and it's still medium rare..........that a meatloaf my friend! I'm sure it was tasty! I'm a classic 350 raised direct guy for my burgers to a nice medium