Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Went to Costco today.  Doing pepper stout beef.  . . again. Love it. 

They only had 3 pound chuck roasts in a two pack.  I wanted a 6 pounder.  I asked the guy stocking the cases if I can get a six pound cut.  He opens the slider window and hollers at the meat cutters.  1 minute 30 seconds later I am holding a 6 pound cut.  Going on in the morning.  Doing two butts overnight first. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just got home, loaded the XL with lump and oak, lit it and set the vents. Chuck roast on in the morning and I wanted to get it started now. Wine, Scotch, Bourbon, beer at my buddy's place, wife drove home. Just poured Evan Williams and watching SNL. Life is good.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just got home, loaded the XL with lump and oak, lit it and set the vents. Chuck roast on in the morning and I wanted to get it started now. Wine, Scotch, Bourbon, beer at my buddy's place, wife drove home. Just poured Evan Williams and watching SNL. Life is good.
    Your my hero. " I'm gonna light my f'ing egg 10 hours before I do a long cook on it, and then pass out."  Sleep well bro.  Actually just padding my post count.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Livin' large mixing the weak brown water with the real deal.  Never mind the pressed grapes.  Dang you must have an early chuckie delivery time to fire it all up now.  Better than me-especially under the adult supervisory beverage influence.  Have fun.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Livin' large mixing the weak brown water with the real deal.  Never mind the pressed grapes.  Dang you must have an early chuckie delivery time to fire it all up now.  Better than me-especially under the adult supervisory beverage influence.  Have fun.

Lighting it tonight will save me an hour in the morning. The wasted lump will be worth the sleep.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options
    Chuckie on

Coffee being consumed.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Options
    Just got done refinishing my Eggcessories Cart! Needed a new coat of finish with it being 3 years old. Picture is in my avatar.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Smoking a butt, cleaning out garage, drinking Crown Black Label. It's a good day
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Just vac sealed a mess of smash burgers.  For guests next week.

• bgebrent
    Options
    Our place is off of Elliott Road. The property used to be part the Elliott (Bill) family farm. Bill's lake place is two doors down. Chase is by there routinely. This was taken about half way in on Elliott Rd earlier this week. Pretty funny =)

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    We just keep on rollin baby...
    https://youtu.be/XdiWpWxCTko
    Finishing up the 12 lbs of chuck and hog.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Our place is off of Elliott Road. The property used to be part the Elliott (Bill) family farm. Bill's lake place is two doors down. Chase is by there routinely. This was taken about half way in on Elliott Rd earlier this week. Pretty funny =)

That's brutal...
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:

That's brutal...
    He's running strong!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    just brought home a weed burner from harbor freight.  I'll have to get real comfortable with it before I try it with beverages on board.  damn, I was in the driveway using it and everyone in the house heard it - sounds like a jet engine.

I can see using this to get my firepit going quickly, I'm not in a hurry to use on the egg.
  • Legume
    Options
    are there two sizes of these things?  this one rates at 500k btu.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Legume said:
    Must be. Just looked mine up. It's 100K. Can't imagine 500K. Wow. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Legume said:
    Must be. Just looked mine up. It's 100K. Can't imagine 500K. Wow. 
    That ones called a garage heater! Lol
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Gotta admit that the drive for speed of fire in a BGE escapes me.  I don't know of any lighting method that takes more than 10 minutes to get sufficient fire volume to then support the cook unless you are going nuclear for pizza.  I'm not talking about up to cook temp but enough lump to get there in reasonable time.  I guess my thoughts of reasonable are on the slow side.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Gotta admit that the drive for speed of fire in a BGE escapes me.  I don't know of any lighting method that takes more than 10 minutes to get sufficient fire volume to then support the cook unless you are going nuclear for pizza.  I'm not talking about up to cook temp but enough lump to get there in reasonable time.  I guess my thoughts of reasonable are on the slow side.
    I don't disagree.  I didn't buy it for the egg, but figured I could use it for that on work nights when I planned on pizza or a steak.  we end up eating too damn late some nights and scrap plans and eat out too often.

I'm building a cedar table to sit next to my egg.  In looking into finishes, I came across this Japanese technique for burning the cedar, then wire brushing it.  you end up with an eerie graphite patina that weatherproofs the wood - you can oil it or not after that, but you don't have to retreat, the burn seals the wood and protects it from sun and moisture.  when used on siding, this has been known to last 80+ years.  resealing a table isn't that big of a deal, but this looked like a fun experiment with benefits if it works...and fire.
  • DoubleEgger
    edited March 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:

That's brutal...
    He's running strong!
    Harvick is too good today. 

EDIT: it's a new ballgame now. Harvick f-ed up! 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Just ate some boneless chicken breast that I've had in the SV for 2 hours then quickly seared on the egg. Best chicken breast I've ever had. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Just ate some boneless chicken breast that I've had in the SV for 2 hours then quickly seared on the egg. Best chicken breast I've ever had. 
    You expect us to take your word for this? 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:

That's brutal...
    He's running strong!
    Harvick is too good today. 

EDIT: it's a new ballgame now. Harvick f-ed up! 
    Until he wasn't.  Thought he'd win (Harvick).  Unpredictable stuff.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Acn said:

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Legume said:
    I'm building a cedar table to sit next to my egg.  In looking into finishes, I came across this Japanese technique for burning the cedar, then wire brushing it.  you end up with an eerie graphite patina that weatherproofs the wood - you can oil it or not after that, but you don't have to retreat, the burn seals the wood and protects it from sun and moisture.  when used on siding, this has been known to last 80+ years.  resealing a table isn't that big of a deal, but this looked like a fun experiment with benefits if it works...and fire.
    @Legume ...  Just saw that process used for the first time on this TV program:

Air date: February 7, 2017

Thought it was going to look terrible, but the finished product looked very good ... and it was used on a house boat.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Nothing special 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Sounds like a good day @theyolksonyou .  Had a great day myself with this beautiful weather.  Lunch and dinner made with the Mini Max today. Lots of yard work done, three loads of tree limbs in the firepit and opened up the sun room and gave it a good cleaning.  Ready for this weather to stick around.
    Got some pork chops marinading in some Allegro in the fridge for dinner this week.  Monday and Tuesday are looking like wash outs but we'll see what happens.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Winding down after a 0610 wake up, 1.5 HR drive to the car show to meet @DoubleEgger with my 10 yr old car enthusiast, back home for 2.5 hr of baseball with said child and cooking some Korean BBQ chicken. One of the top Sundays I've had in a few months. Great day. 
    Another beautiful day at Tanner Pond. Shounds like you guys had a great one as well. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow