Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to convince SWMBO to get a dog.

Options

Comments

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Men convincing other men to buy poodles
    is just as bad as talking him into owning a minivan, just cuz you have one.
    I know it's got open space and lots of cup holders, doesn't make it right.

That aging gun touting new orleans hippy does not need a puffy dog with a bow on it's tail.   He needs a dog that will look you in the eyes, know the pains and joys you've experienced that day and will lie at your feet just as soon as piss on your neighbor's.  Personality, comfort, but can hold it's own in a street brawl.
    =)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Men convincing other men to buy poodles
    is just as bad as talking him into owning a minivan, just cuz you have one.
    I know it's got open space and lots of cup holders, doesn't make it right.

That aging gun touting new orleans hippy does not need a puffy dog with a bow on it's tail.   He needs a dog that will look you in the eyes, know the pains and joys you've experienced that day and will lie at your feet just as soon as piss on your neighbor's.  Personality, comfort, but can hold it's own in a street brawl.
    =)
    My poodle does all these things and has never had a bow on her tail. Nor is she puffy. Also, if you don't like minivans when you have young children, I suppose you enjoy back pain from bending over and contorting to get them into child seats. Plus, sliding doors mean no leaving notes on other's cars wen your kid slams their door into it. Unless, you're an ass-hole who doesn't leave a note.

She does get seasonal handkerchiefs from the groomer, though. Plus, NO SHEDDING.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    something for the cat to play wit

Image result for teacup dog
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I rescued a retired racing Greyhound and it was the best dog I've EVER had.  And I've had Goldens, poodles, Bichons, mini aussies, basenjis and mutts. They come crate trained from the track and are trained to walk on a lead as well.  You can work with the organization about temperament/size/color.  They are some of the laziest dogs on the face of the earth!!  Mine would stay on his bed unless he wanted to eat, pee/poop, or be petted.  If he wanted to go out he would get up and walk to the door and stand.  If he wanted you to pet him he would walk over to you and press his forehead against your leg.  When through - he would go back to his bed and sleep.  I got him when he was 3.5 so he was still on the young side.  At that age he had 2 times a day when he wanted to walk.....as he got older it was once per day.  We had a cat and after the first day for adjustment he was totally good with it and they slept together.  The one thing we had to teach him was how to go down stairs!!!  He had never seen them before.....funniest thing ever.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    I've had Labradors most of my life.  I'll be the first to admit that for the first 5 years they are not for everyone as their energy and bouncing off the walls will drive most people crazy.  That said, the English Lab I have now is amazing.  He's smart, friendly and playful yet calm.  I've learned that not all Labs are alike.  Short, stocky English Labs for me.   
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    For where you live with the gulf tropical heat, you need a long nosed dog (so they can pant) with a single coat so they dry quickly when swimming in the ocean. Any of the Aussie dogs are bred for the heat, not so much the humidity, but they can stand the heat. German short haired pointers, Chesapeake retriever (although they are kinda aloof and view cats as things to chase.) The Aussie cattle dogs are awesome, friend has one and they spend a lot of time ion Palm Springs. The issue is keeping them occupied, very high energy. Whippets and Greyhounds are very popular in the south (so I've been told) lots of rescue dogs around. Big issue with both of these is sunburn. 
    We have always had large dogs St Bernards (3), Great Pyrenees, Newfoundland and a Shepard Collie cross, which at 85# was the smallest we've ever owned. If you like an easy going gets along with anything, drool, slobber and hair machine that basically shits the size of eggplants you would have to move, Saints are truly the most affectionate gentle giant you could ask for.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2017
    Options
    PlanSB said:
    if you are rescuing then the chances are you are going to end up with a mutt.  My older rescue is 50% lab/25% pit/25% golden retriever and he is the best dog I have ever had.  I would suggest looking for some sort of lab/pit mix (which are easy to find).  And I would stay away from anything with Boxer in it.
    My latest pup is 1/4 Boxer...so I can confirm you are correct. He is a really cool dog but also very high energy. He likes to wrestle and pester the other dogs. I'm not sure how well this would go over with cats.  He pretty much runs the house now and he knows it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have 3 dogs and while I love dogs they are much higher maintenance than cats. If you get a puppy you will have to go through potty training and the dog chewing things up. Also dogs are much more "hands on" than cats.  Dogs, even smarter breeds, for some reason don't seem to have the innate ability to avoid vehicles. You can't just open the door and let a dog out, you have to walk it or have a fenced yard.  If you go on vacation you will have to have someone watch the dog or board it.  Perhaps you already have to do this with the cats; but I know some cat owners that will just leave them in the garage with the garage door cracked for a couple of days. 

None of these are show stoppers and I'm not saying not to get a dog. Just things to ponder.  I would suggest making sure you are both on board; especially if you work and she stays home then she is the one that will be dealing with the pup all day.  
    Thanks.  I've had dogs for 30 some years, just not in the last 18.  Last ones were a pair of big collies.
    Options
    if you like the standard poodle, maybe look at the portuguese water dogs. much more fun watching a water dog swim. just dont give it the lion cut or the poodle cut =) give it the im a muddy dog cut.  im not a fan of the rescue places near me anymore, they turned into business for profit. would rather find the right dog and spend the 200 to fly it to me from the right breeder
    That poodle cut....you couldn't pay me to do something like that to my dog.  Hate it.
    Options
    boxers got trendy a while back up here, alot are mean and overly energetic, a trait they never had. i would prolly stay away from rotties, dalmations, boxers, pitbulls,and be really careful with the german shepards. trendy dogs can be breed badly to push out the numbers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have 3 dogs and while I love dogs they are much higher maintenance than cats. If you get a puppy you will have to go through potty training and the dog chewing things up. Also dogs are much more "hands on" than cats.  Dogs, even smarter breeds, for some reason don't seem to have the innate ability to avoid vehicles. You can't just open the door and let a dog out, you have to walk it or have a fenced yard.  If you go on vacation you will have to have someone watch the dog or board it.  Perhaps you already have to do this with the cats; but I know some cat owners that will just leave them in the garage with the garage door cracked for a couple of days. 

None of these are show stoppers and I'm not saying not to get a dog. Just things to ponder.  I would suggest making sure you are both on board; especially if you work and she stays home then she is the one that will be dealing with the pup all day.  
    Thanks.  I've had dogs for 30 some years, just not in the last 18.  Last ones were a pair of big collies.
    Collies are very smart pets as well. I taught mine to ring the doorbell to get back in. Perhaps my second favorite breed of dog, just behind the golden retreiver. Beautiful and majestic animals,  she loved attention.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    We have a golden doodle. Awesome dog. Potty trained in less than a month. Great with our kids. Rips and tears around with our daughter and with our son, just snuggles. Put in invisible fencing and had the figured out in about 10 days. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Rhodesian Ridgeback is the most chill and friendliest large dog breed around.   They especially like small ponies if you have any of those
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    The friendliest large dog I've met is a Bouvier de Flandres. That thing was a giant teddy bear, but you better like slobber on every surface in your house.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @nolaegghead poodles require a lot of maintenance of the hair coat .. Grooming every 4-6 weeks specifically around the eyes and hind end... No one likes a dingleberry

oddly enough as vicious a rap as Hollywood has made them if your wife wants a big dog inwould highly recommend a Doberman . I've worked in the veterinary field since I was 15 and have never had one be aggressive to me. I know three families that between them have 6 dobies and all interact well with cats other dogs etc.
    they aren't crazy hyper and will get on the couch with your wife etc.. Hair coat is very very short

bonus .. They going to be big enough to be intimidating to a would be intruder .. Where as truth be told they'd probably let them in lol

there are 2 genetic conditions you need to look out for if you do go this route. Message me and I'll shoot you my number if you have any questions.

i say this being a lab and Chessie guy .. But knowing both of those breeds would be too fuzzy and too high energy.. They needs jobs to stay out of trouble 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

Based on your criteria, do NOT get a Yorkie.  Total purse dog.  She's small, yappy, doesn't like other animals (especially cats), she's stubborn and pushy.  

But she is AWESOME.  Huge personality and a cuddle bug. My wife wanted a small dog and I wanted no part of it.  I wanted a Weimeraner or an Australian Shepherd.  "We" compromised and got a small dog.   

Wouldnt  to trade her for anything.  She's so much fun

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    Assuming from your name that you are in New Orleans, check out Villalobos.  While they started with pits (thus the name of the TV show), they do have other breeds, including the occasional batch of puppies.
    http://www.vrcpitbull.com/

Raleigh, NC
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    @nolaegghead poodles require a lot of maintenance of the hair coat .. Grooming every 4-6 weeks specifically around the eyes and hind end... No one likes a dingleberry

oddly enough as vicious a rap as Hollywood has made them if your wife wants a big dog inwould highly recommend a Doberman . I've worked in the veterinary field since I was 15 and have never had one be aggressive to me. I know three families that between them have 6 dobies and all interact well with cats other dogs etc.
    they aren't crazy hyper and will get on the couch with your wife etc.. Hair coat is very very short

bonus .. They going to be big enough to be intimidating to a would be intruder .. Where as truth be told they'd probably let them in lol

there are 2 genetic conditions you need to look out for if you do go this route. Message me and I'll shoot you my number if you have any questions.

i say this being a lab and Chessie guy .. But knowing both of those breeds would be too fuzzy and too high energy.. They needs jobs to stay out of trouble 
    For what it's worth, I get mine groomed every 8 weeks or so. I can see doing it more often down where you all are due to heat/humidity. No issue with poop transport on her with that interval.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Wilma wanted a puppy from her sister's yorkie litter.  Her sister passed away 3 years ago.  Anyway, this yorkie was willful and dumb as a doorknob.  We had it for a couple of years and it never did figure out that being housebroken is a requirement for me.  We kept him because of the connection with Wilma's dead sister.  I stepped in the last puddle of piss and I told Wilma he's got to go. Wilma has a friend who rescues yorkies and out he went.
    Flint, Michigan
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options
    Dont buy a dog from a breeder, rescue/adopt one. There are so many dogs that need homes, i cant get behind breeders and ppl that support them - unless you need a specialized dog. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I've had working dogs before and it would be unfair to own them, not having work to be done (although they'd probably heard the cats) and land to roam. 

I'm totally fine with a smaller dog, but SWMBO hates 'em.   We have a small house with lots of nice stuff like hand made furniture that we'd rather not have destroyed.  We are very interactive with our pets and we've never had any major issues with destructive behavior.  The cats get plenty of exercise and play and have outlets around the house - scratching thingies, etc.

Probably have to get a puppy for integration purposes with the cats.  Not a fan of anxious hyper dogs that bark at everything.  We have friends over all the time.... my neighbors have a herd of misfit dogs that makes entertaining impossible. 

We don't want to add to the house of hair issue from the cats, don't want the house to smell like a farm (no offense to farmers). 

Also really like smart dogs that we can train.

Labradoodle or standard poodle are at the top of my list at the moment.  SWMBO thinks we're not home enough, but it's just because she works 12 hr shifts.  I don't.  I'm working on her.  This might be a long game.

We also have an enclosed back yard, although I can't stand the thought of keeping a dog outside.

Image result for labradoodle

DuckDogDr said:

For what it's worth, I get mine groomed every 8 weeks or so. I can see doing it more often down where you all are due to heat/humidity. No issue with poop transport on her with that interval.
    Our Stoodle (standard poodle) gets groomed about every 8-10 weeks, sometimes longer until she almost has dread locks.  No foo foo hair cut crap or bows, cut all one length.  I was no fan of poodles but its the only breed my wife has ever had.  They are great dogs and can hunt as well.    

"They may look like gentle, fruit-eating monkeys, but I'm pretty convinced one of these things is gonna suddenly land on my head and start humping my earhole with his sharp, furry penis, so I'm little uncomfortable."
    -Anthony Bourdain

Zionsville, IN
    LBGE, MM
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    PlanSB said:
    Dont buy a dog from a breeder, rescue/adopt one. There are so many dogs that need homes, i cant get behind breeders and ppl that support them - unless you need a specialized dog. 
    I completely agree with you.  We do have one cat with a pedigree, but we acquired him from someone who bought him from a breeder and couldn't handle the hyperactive nature of the breed (and lived in a trailer with two young kids).  (Bengal)
    Options
    Also, I'd like a dog I can take out in the boat fishing.

Fortunately/unfortunately....SWMBO is a clean freak and the inevitable muddy dog trotting through the house will cause much consternation and occasional strife that I'll be to blame.  Such is life.

But dogs are worth it.
    Options
    boxers got trendy a while back up here, alot are mean and overly energetic, a trait they never had. i would prolly stay away from rotties, dalmations, boxers, pitbulls,and be really careful with the german shepards. trendy dogs can be breed badly to push out the numbers
    I can tell you that I am on my second boxer now. They are high energy but did you buy a dog or a piece of furniture?  In 14 years neither has bitten anybody or even growled at them. They are amazingly good with children and tailor how rough they play with how old or healthy the child is. They are NOT a dog that you buy and leave outside, that can make many dogs mean. They do want to be with their family 24/7.
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    Here is a picture of my Welsh Terriers.  I'm in the process of grooming them today.  I used to groom dogs part time for beer money.  Anyway, the greatest dog I groomed was a standard poodle.  I still remember her, she was beautiful.  Her owner did not want the "poodle cut" so we cut her like a terrier.  Of course, every dog is different but in my experience standards are less excitable than their smaller cousins.  Also, they do not shed and are hypoallergenic.  If I had had the space I would adopted one.

D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    The friendliest large dog I've met is a Bouvier de Flandres. That thing was a giant teddy bear, but you better like slobber on every surface in your house.
    We had 2 Bouviers as guard dogs at my office.  Looked mean as hell if you were outside the fence but if they knew you they were super sweet.  I loved those two but sadly they got shot by a thief.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    If you check your local shelters you can probably find an older dog of medium to larger size and mixed breed that is already chill with cats (or even intimidated by them).

I think the bigger question is how will your cats react to having a dog in the house? Some adapt quickly. Some never get over it.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk