Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to convince SWMBO to get a dog.

Options
nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
We like dogs and cats, We've both had both. 

SWMBO likes big dogs. 

Mickey is (off the forum "OTF") validating my thoughts of a standard poodle, as they're smarter than most of the people on this forum and they don't F your sh!t up or terrorize cats and stuff. 

So I'm just wondering if anyone has a panacea for this question.  Also, something that we can get as a rescue/pound (don't want to support puppy mills and all that).

Sorry I haven't posted much.  Mardi Gras just happened and i've been busy with that and work.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    PS - we have a bunch of kats.  So a puppy would be good so the kats could just pop 'em in the face while the dog is small and not be a terrorist, although I think they'd figure that out at any age (having had the mix of both).

Again, thanks so much for any meaningful input. 

PS PS - don't bother advocating yapping small dogs, they remind us too much of some...peop...nevermind.
    Options
    We have a Minature Schnauzer, also available in standard size and big. No shedding, so the house isn't covered in hair. He does annoy the cat a bit, but she's the boss. The down side of a non shedding coat is that dirt builds up and you are supposed to brush regularly. We just give him a crew cut at regular intervals and there's no issues.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Don't do it. Unless you live on a couple acres, don't do it. I have nothing but compassion for animals, but it still needs to be the correct situation. Imo. Good luck 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Agree on space for a large dog, unless you plan on lots of exercise walking one. Good news is, poodles are not large dogs(my standard weighs 40 lbs).
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    @nolaegghead
    Here is a cool looking dog. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Walking a dog is very relaxing.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Check poodle mixes. My parents have a poodle lab mix and she has the sweetest temperament 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

We love Corgis, have two now-three all together. We adopt adults via rescue, they come house trained and pretty set in their ways. All have been great dogs, and have never bothered our two cats. Also when purchase them through rescue they are 'vetted' in foster homes, so they can tell you pretty much what type of household they are suited for.

They do shed quite a bit, especially when they 'blow' out their inner coat so brushing is needed. However we have them groomed on a regular basis, which helps keep down that fur build up.

Add bonus: their short little legs do not allow them to counter surf. And they are not small dogs by a long shot!

Good luck on your search, keep us updated.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Look for a miniature, take it to eggfests in your purse...so hot.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Weimaraners get a bad wrap, but they are very well tempered.  They are kind of like that hot blonde girl in high school. Very smart when they want to be, but very ditsy at the same time.  Perfect examples of mine:

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have 3 dogs and while I love dogs they are much higher maintenance than cats. If you get a puppy you will have to go through potty training and the dog chewing things up. Also dogs are much more "hands on" than cats.  Dogs, even smarter breeds, for some reason don't seem to have the innate ability to avoid vehicles. You can't just open the door and let a dog out, you have to walk it or have a fenced yard.  If you go on vacation you will have to have someone watch the dog or board it.  Perhaps you already have to do this with the cats; but I know some cat owners that will just leave them in the garage with the garage door cracked for a couple of days. 

None of these are show stoppers and I'm not saying not to get a dog. Just things to ponder.  I would suggest making sure you are both on board; especially if you work and she stays home then she is the one that will be dealing with the pup all day.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    PS - we have a bunch of kats.  So a puppy would be good so the kats could just pop 'em in the face while the dog is small and not be a terrorist, although I think they'd figure that out at any age (having had the mix of both).

Again, thanks so much for any meaningful input. 

PS PS - don't bother advocating yapping small dogs, they remind us too much of some...peop...nevermind.
    I understand what you mean about yapping, small dogs. We have two, a Maltipoo and Maltese, both adopted rescues. They do have a lot of personality. 
    I know someone with an aussiedoodle, a mix of an Australian Shepard and Poodle. It is a smart, beautiful dog, but that might be hard to find in a shelter.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,839
    Options
    if you like the standard poodle, maybe look at the portuguese water dogs. much more fun watching a water dog swim. just dont give it the lion cut or the poodle cut =) give it the im a muddy dog cut.  im not a fan of the rescue places near me anymore, they turned into business for profit. would rather find the right dog and spend the 200 to fly it to me from the right breeder
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I know you mentioned a rescue/pound puppy but check out Australian labradoodles. They come in several sizes and color options. My sister got one and the dog is pretty amazing- smart, calm, doesn't shed and is good looking. I'm a lab fan but I really like her dog. I talked 2 friends into getting ones and they all really like them. The good ones do tend to run on the expensive side. 

Greensboro, NC
  • fishlessman
    Options
    also, they have books on choosing a dog that fits lifestyles. my britt would turn your house inside out with those cats, i would never recommend one for you, the energy is intense. i grew up with a water dog up the beach from me, they would swim circles around your boat for hours, calm indoors, intelligent like a poodle, only negative i can think is obama owned them ;)
    fukahwee maine

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Do it.  We've been huge fans of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.  This is our second one. Extremely affectionate.  Can be extremely expensive.  Black one is a doxiepoo we think.  Scruffy shot is her first day at the SPCA.  Pink coat is after they shaved her.  (Black dog is the same dog in all three photos.)
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,371
    Options
    My suggestion is seek out breed specific private rescues for the breed you want. Look for a dog in a foster home that they can tell you is good with cats, housebroken etc. you're not supporting mills, saving a life and getting a dog with some prior training and known history. Lots of purebred dogs needing adoptions. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    We have a mastiff.  Best dog I have ever owned.  They are extremely loyal and chill dogs, so big that they are good to have in smaller areas because of how lazy they are.  Very loyal almost to a fault, the only thing our dog wants is to be around us.  She has barked maybe 10 times in the 5 years we have owned her but serves well as a guard dog because people who don't know her, or the breed are terrified of her size.  She is great with cats, other dogs, kids, everything.  Downside is drool, there can be lots of drool

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Dobie said:
    My suggestion is seek out breed specific private rescues for the breed you want. Look for a dog in a foster home that they can tell you is good with cats, housebroken etc. you're not supporting mills, saving a life and getting a dog with some prior training and known history. Lots of purebred dogs needing adoptions. 
    this is another option, fostering a dog, alot of places push fostering and hope you will adopt. i hate puppies but prefer to go thru the puppy hell myself than get a dog not trained to my liking, but ive seen dogs go the foster route and it works for some, it can be like a trial fit. hard to trust the places, my sister fostered a boston terrier, within a few months it turned into a pitbull which was not the right dog for her or her neighborhood
    fukahwee maine

• PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options
    if you are rescuing then the chances are you are going to end up with a mutt.  My older rescue is 50% lab/25% pit/25% golden retriever and he is the best dog I have ever had.  I would suggest looking for some sort of lab/pit mix (which are easy to find).  And I would stay away from anything with Boxer in it.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Grew up with a Standard Poodle -- smartest dog ever.

Had a Portuguese Water Dog that died a couple of years ago at 11 (RIP) -- awesome dog, smart and headstrong.  75 lbs of clever willfulness.  Miss him terribly, but recognize it was much work because he was fairly big.  (And did I mention headstrong?)

Now have a mini golden doodle -- golden retriever mom, mini poodle dad (lucky guy in that relationship!).  She was *supposed* to get to 30 lbs, but never creased 15.  Smart as can be, sweet as all get out, much more trainable than the PWD, and not nearly as much work.  Sleep, play, eat, poop.  Repeat.  She's a dream.  We have 2 cats and they get along great (although the cats run the place.)

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I am with @YukonRon we are currently looking/waiting for a Golden. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @nolaegghead get a cool looking pound pup or a breed you like from a respected breeder (most are not puppy mills).  Good breeders have gotten a bad name lately because of the puppy mill backlash and rescue-love.

Can't see you walking around with a poodle, even if it is a tall one.   There are some pretty damn cool looking hounds and mutts out there.  Lots of personality, one of a kind, will be your best friend for life.   Or get that dog @bigalsworth posted that looks like Scottie.  ;)

Take a walk in a couple pounds...  I guarantee a mid-size dog will make eye contact with you and the wife and you'll know right then, "that's our dog." 

LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Grew up with a Standard Poodle -- smartest dog ever.

Had a Portuguese Water Dog that died a couple of years ago at 11 (RIP) -- awesome dog, smart and headstrong.  75 lbs of clever willfulness.  Miss him terribly, but recognize it was much work because he was fairly big.  (And did I mention headstrong?)

Now have a mini golden doodle -- golden retriever mom, mini poodle dad (lucky guy in that relationship!).  She was *supposed* to get to 30 lbs, but never creased 15.  Smart as can be, sweet as all get out, much more trainable than the PWD, and not nearly as much work.  Sleep, play, eat, poop.  Repeat.  She's a dream.  We have 2 cats and they get along great (although the cats run the place.)

i really like those waterdogs, they have an agenda going on in their heads =) its part of the personality i like about certain dogs, a self motivation =)
    this is the cut i like on them, beautiful thing to watch them running on a muddy clam flat. the hair rinses clean fairly easily as well with just a hose. its getting harder raising the larger dogs, mostly because of neighbors, my 40 pound britt has a 1/2 mile radius around the house and no one has ever complained, with my old german sheppard at 120 pounds i had neighbor problems while just walking him on a leash

Portuguese Water Dog breed
    fukahwee maine

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Great thing with those poodles is very little shedding (if any).  I hear they are great dogs though.  

We have a lab mix and have to vacuum continuously.  She's a great dog though.  

The mixes of those poodle make nice dogs too (Labri-doodle, Golden-doodle).

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Best dog I ever had was a Golden. I found my Standard through Mid Atlantic Poodle Rescue. She was likely going to be used in a home breeding operation before she was found and brought in. Really nice dog but has some idiosyncrasies I can only attribute to her first year of life apparently locked up in a kennel. No separation anxiety, but she needs to be around people when they are around. I can't let her out with out standing there for a minute, otherwise, she just stands at the door and paws to get back in. 

In regards to poodle mixes, there is nothing funnier that the prices people pay for mutts.