Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: 'Advise' Advice

Options

Comments

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options

fwiw (nothing) i have a very loose take on this stuff.  i don't actually prefer a grammatically rigorous approach, unless we're writing some literal academic stuff.  better to have fun and get the point across than to be proper.
    I hear this argument often and I'm just curious - does it really take longer to type something properly? On your phone or tablet, sure - I get the typos, lack of punctuation, etc. But if you are on a computer, how difficult is it to write properly?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    I'm pretty good with affect vs. effect, but I can never keep who vs. whom straight.....I always have to revert to whichever sounds better.

Also, the whole oxford commas debate is mind boggling.  Our copywriter for all print ads hates them, but it never looks right to me without a comma before an 'and/or' if you're listing 3+ things. 
    for 'whom/who' you can always default to subbing 'him/he' to see which sounds better. doesn't always work though.

"you gave it to him?"="you gave it to whom?"

"he was at the door?"="who was at the door?"

but frankly, 'whom' sounds a little uptight in a lot of contexts.  it will be a dead word in a generation

even grammarians argue over that one i think.
    if you are talking with your buddies, it's pretty much cool to just say 'who'. 

use almost always wins out over the rule
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i dont mind the miss spellings, lack of capitals, commas, misuse of words, but the new way of asking a question without a ? mark....and go =) wtf is that
    yer talkin about me aintcha

nosah
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

You guys are triggering me.  I'll be in my safe place.

Phoenix 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2017
    Options
    tongue-in-cheek here, but couldn't help noticing the run of 'advise' posts this morning.   Almost three-in-a-row.

Some will pounce on pedantry.  But I think it is always better to know something than to not know something, right?
    So some quick advice re using 'advise' and 'advice' (which seems to be a common internet 'thing', because >typing):

'Advise' (with a Z sound, like 'despise') is what you do;  "I would like to advise you of your rights"

'Advice' (like 'rice' or 'ice') is what you give or get;  "That is some great advice"

Bonus tip: ...for Canadians, the words would be spelled "adviuse' and 'adviuce'.

Not a big deal, I know.  Just the three in a row thing that really made i stand out.

What a b!tch! People are simply asking to be advised. You remind me of someone right now that I can't quite place.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I should of paid more attention to the Hinglish teacher in school ;)
    I should HAVE paid more attention.....Since we are at it.... :s

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I should of paid more attention to the Hinglish teacher in school ;)
    I should HAVE paid more attention.....Since we are at it.... :s
    Sorry Bob!  I should have paid more attention when I payed out that rope....
    Options
    tongue-in-cheek here, but couldn't help noticing the run of 'advise' posts this morning.   Almost three-in-a-row.

Some will pounce on pedantry.  But I think it is always better to know something than to not know something, right?
    So some quick advice re using 'advise' and 'advice' (which seems to be a common internet 'thing', because >typing):

'Advise' (with a Z sound, like 'despise') is what you do;  "I would like to advise you of your rights"

'Advice' (like 'rice' or 'ice') is what you give or get;  "That is some great advice"

Bonus tip: ...for Canadians, the words would be spelled "adviuse' and 'adviuce'.

Not a big deal, I know.  Just the three in a row thing that really made i stand out.

What a b!tch! People are simply asking to be advised. You remind me of someone right now that I can't quite place.
    Then they forgot punctuation (e.g., "Chuck Roll: Advise" or "Chuck Roll - Advise") 

http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/1501/Punctuation_101_from_the_Cast_of_The_Electric_Company/#.WHe0efkrKUm

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    blasting said:

*guy's

on the internet, you need to use an apostrophe before any plural-S
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    We all need to be more tolerant.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    y'all are going to make me loose my mind...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    You guy's r crackin me up... is this the place to come for advise
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    *'more toleranter'
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    blasting said:

*guy's

on the internet, you need to use an apostrophe before any plural-S
    I'd herd that
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited January 2017
    Options
    *'more toleranter'
    Much more toleranter.  Irregardless......I could care less.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I could care less.
    THIS is the one that gets under my skin.  I wish I could care less, but I always want to ask - so, you're saying you do care?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Rising bubble from orifice.

Options

fwiw (nothing) i have a very loose take on this stuff.  i don't actually prefer a grammatically rigorous approach, unless we're writing some literal academic stuff.  better to have fun and get the point across than to be proper.
    I hear this argument often and I'm just curious - does it really take longer to type something properly? On your phone or tablet, sure - I get the typos, lack of punctuation, etc. But if you are on a computer, how difficult is it to write properly?
    Depending upon which OS and which browser and browser settings are in place autocorrect and autocomplete can sumtimes mess you up.

There is also the BAC factor. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Legume said:
    I could care less.
    THIS is the one that gets under my skin.  I wish I could care less, but I always want to ask - so, you're saying you do care?
    Your good with 'irregardless'? =)
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Legume said:
    I could care less.
    Your good with 'irregardless'? =)
    is it "your mama!" or "you're mama!"...?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    advice comes from the adviser, or the advisor, or the internet advicer. does not matter, its still pronounced ad-veye-zah
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    ATM Machine is the one that drives me nuts.  I've actually left a gas station and gone somewhere else because they had an 'ATM Machine Inside' sign.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Hot water heater
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Ass-To-Mouth machine?!  Wonder how that works....
    Options
    Acn said:
    ATM Machine is the one that drives me nuts.  I've actually left a gas station and gone somewhere else because they had an 'ATM Machine Inside' sign.
    A machine that does ATM? You have my attention!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Ass-To-Mouth machine?!  Wonder how that works....
    It runs on any combo of cocaine, lsd, and meth.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Humor Humour
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    You have learnd me something today.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL