Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - A Lot of Entertainer Deaths in 2016, So...

I picked one of my favorites and changed my avatar until the end of the year.  My choice is Alan Rickman.  He made every movie he was in BETTER.  My favorite role of his was Hans Gruber in Die Hard.  I also enjoyed him Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Quigley Down Under, Galaxy Quest and many others.

Sorry for all the pix.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Good choice Fred. He was a great actor.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Yep- hell of a villain. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    I guess my reply is exactly what your title is..."So". 

Don't get me wrong, Sympathies to the families and friends, but from where I'm sitting celebrity deaths are like meh, not like they will stop making movies, TV and music.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Debbie Reynolds just passed 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Debbie Reynolds just passed
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    I bet Betty White is nervous...
  • Rickman was a great actor. If someone says that he is attractive I imagine they won't get trashed the way Steve Martin did for saying Carrie Fisher was beautiful. He tweeted that, and the reaction was so bad he deleted it. This is a sample.

Seriously @SteveMartinToGo quit being such a jerk for thinking Carrie Fisher was beautiful and saying so on the occasion of her death...

About a year ago Obama was introducing a woman who was the attorney general of a state, California, if memory serves. He said how she was a great a.g., smart, etc. At the end of all that he said that was the best looking a.g. in the country. He was hammered as a sexist and all the rest. Once upon a time, saying a woman was beautiful was a compliment.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    "Something vexes thee?"

Hand Gruber was great, but as the sheriff of nottingham he was fantastic.

he was also born to play Severus Snape.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    lwrehm said:
    I guess my reply is exactly what your title is..."So". 

Don't get me wrong, Sympathies to the families and friends, but from where I'm sitting celebrity deaths are like meh, not like they will stop making movies, TV and music.

Yup, seems like all the shows need something to talk about this time of year, so they spin what a "terrible year it's been for celeb deaths".  There were a bunch that died in 2014 & 2015, and there are going to be just as many in 2017.....some you heard of, some you didn't, but life goes on.

I don't get into mourning the Hollywood types or singers, but Arnold Palmer, Muhammed Ali, John Glenn, etc.....lost some American heroes there.  Those guys did a lot more than look pretty on the movie screen.   
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited December 2016
    I think Fred was simply expressing the sentiment that he was someone whose work he appreciated, enjoyed.  I don't see anything wrong with that, personally.
    Exactly. 

Why would someone feel it's appropriate to 'correct' someone about whose death they are mourning?  

"My hero/celebrity/golfer is more deserving than yours "

mind boggling

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Agreed @JohnInCarolina .  The same way I can mourn the loss of Prince and David Bowie.  They were pioneers in their work and did things never done before.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Such seriousness here.  This is just a lighthearted response to what seems to be a heavy death toll of entertainers this year.  I'm not trying to save the planet or solve the Middle East conflict.  I'm just observing there were a bunch of entertainers that passed away this year and that Alan Rickman was a personal favorite of mine.

On second thought, whine away!  If responding to that puts me in agreement with @JohnInCarolina , then there's another Christmas miracle bigger than the F.B.I.

Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I think Fred was simply expressing the sentiment that he was someone whose work he appreciated, enjoyed.  I don't see anything wrong with that, personally.
    Well said brother in Carolina. And I concur. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jebus H Christo. I don't cry or stop down my life but when people that have been a thread in your life story (good or bad) it gives you a little glimpse at the things you value, the things that make you laugh/cry etc. it also gives you a quick little kick in the giblets to remind you that this little spin around the marble isn't permanent. 

I was never a George Michael fan but dude sold 100 million albums. About 4 years ago my kids aksed me if I had ever heard of "Sergio the Sexy Sax Player". I said hell no. He was one of the first YouTube stars that made money making videos.  All he did was crash stores, restaurants, bars, airports, and whatever else and jumped up on a table and played "careless whisper"on a sax until he got thrown out or arrested. I thought that was the dumbest thing I had ever heard of but one day I was in Vegas for work eating lunch with some customers at the bar and this dude ran in, jumped in the bar and busted out "careless whisper" until he was tackled and dragged out. Never stopped playing. I filmed the whole thing and my kids and I still laugh about it  all the time.  

It's  Not about the person, it's about the little part they played in your life. Even if it was in the background.

That being said, when MCA died, i was bummed. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YEMTrey said:
    Agreed @JohnInCarolina .  The same way I can mourn the loss of Prince and David Bowie.  They were pioneers in their work and did things never done before.
    But how were they at golf?
  • Such seriousness here.  This is just a lighthearted response to what seems to be a heavy death toll of entertainers this year.  I'm not trying to save the planet or solve the Middle East conflict.  I'm just observing there were a bunch of entertainers that passed away this year and that Alan Rickman was a personal favorite of mine.

On second thought, whine away!  If responding to that puts me in agreement with @JohnInCarolina , then there's another Christmas miracle bigger than the F.B.I.

My favorite die hard line ever. Loved that dude. 
  • Is Die Hard even a hit movie without Hans?  I don't think so. One of the best villains.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker nailed it.  Well put sir.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I bet Betty White is nervous...
    You are one sick bastard.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

YEMTrey said:
    But how were they at golf?
    Prince was a scratch golfer when he could score.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • This is amazing.  How have I never heard about this?!?!?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited December 2016
    Whoa.....didn't mean it like that guys.  It just surprises me how much more coverage and such is given to certain people over others based off of what else is going on.

Arnold Palmer was/is a hero to me on a lot higher level than golf.  The guy set quite a records as a pilot, plus was one hell of a business man.  John Glenn had balls of steel to get into a rocket with a 30-40% failure rate and wait while the ground crew moved to a bunker over 2 miles away to keep them safe.  Amazing.

EDIT:  Alan Rickman was pretty damn funny in Dogma where he played an angel.  That's a must see movie for anybody that went to Catholic school.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    stlcharcoal said:
    I don't get into mourning the Hollywood types or singers, but Arnold Palmer, Muhammed Ali, John Glenn, etc.....lost some American heroes there.  Those guys did a lot more than look pretty on the movie screen.   
    We all have different things that move us.  Music has done so much for me (not so much acting) but watching some guy hit a ball with a stick, so it rolls into a hole; or watching some other guy hit a guy with his fists so much he falls down; or watching some senator restrict funding for NASA until they modify their multi-year plan to fly some old **** into space "so he can go for another ride", does nothing for me.  
    Different things.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited December 2016
    This is amazing.  How have I never heard about this?!?!?
    You don't have 20 yr old kids at home. I peed  my pants when it happened to me live. My customers were like " how the hell do you know who this is@???  

Those guys and and I are still friends and laugh about it all the time. we eat lunch at the same place twice a year and laugh every time
    we go. same bartender is till there and he hi fives us every time we go in. 
  • He spilled our chips and salsa a did his "Elvis
    the Pelvis" moves 2 feet from us. 
  • This is amazing.  How have I never heard about this?!?!?
    You don't have 20 yr told kids at home. I peed  my pants when it happened to me live. My customers were like " how the hell do you know who this is@???  

Those guys and and I are still friends and laugh about it all the time. we eat lunch at the same place twice a year and laugh every time
    we go. same bartender is till there and he hi fives us every time we go in. 
    Hints of Kaufman.  I think it's brilliant.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    When celebraties die some of us get emotional and reminisce about what we loved about them. 
    And some ridicule them, but in the grand scheme of things, we all feel different emotions for different people. 

For me me it was Prince, Glen Frey, Abe Vigoda, Antonio Scalia and Harper Lee
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"