Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any of you cook via Sous Vide method??

Options
I got one for Christmas and really looking forward to trying it out. What cuts of meat do you use it for most?

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Never heard if it. What is this sorcery you speak of. 
    Sorcery!  Great Call!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Check out chefsteps.com.  And have fun, it's a great tool.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I got one recently excited for application to sea-food! Will also use it for reheating frozen egged leftovers; i.e. Pulled pork, pork loin, turkey, etc 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I got one for Christmas and really looking forward to trying it out. What cuts of meat do you use it for most?
    All of the cuts.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Let's see...and I am NOT being a smart *ss - any type of meat! Even veggies and even eggs for breakfast. I love my ANOVA sous vide unit! Don't be afraid of it as restaurants have been cooking & counting on that method for years! That is how they can serve up perfectly cooked meats whenever their clientele wants to eat whether it is 4 PM or 12 PM!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Let's see...and I am NOT being a smart *ss - any type of meat! Even veggies and even eggs for breakfast. I love my ANOVA sous vide unit! Don't be afraid of it as restaurants have been cooking & counting on that method for years! That is how they can serve up perfectly cooked meats whenever their clientele wants to eat whether it is 4 PM or 12 PM!
    I was going to ask if you had been drinking but that would have been a pot/kettle situation. Carry on sir, 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What cuts of meat do you use it for most?
    I recently acquired a Nova myself. Thus far I have only tried hog and goat anus. It does nothing for anus in my opinion. 
    With that said, I'm going to attempt turkey breasts next. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    RRP said:
    I was going to ask if you had been drinking but that would have been a pot/kettle situation. Carry on sir, 
    ??? I've only had my sous vide unit a little over a year now, but I personally turn to using it whenever I have the chance. When I referred to the ability to serve perfectly cooked meats et.al. from 4 to midnight I was dead serious. You will not over cook, nor dry out your food that has been "swimming in a controlled sous vide environment!" Wish I could have a second chance at cooking meats which I screwed up by over cooking on my "beloved BGEs" which are not that forgiving.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    ??? I've only had my sous vide unit a little over a year now, but I personally turn to using it whenever I have the chance. When I referred to the ability to serve perfectly cooked meats et.al. from 4 to midnight I was dead serious. You will not over cook, nor dry out your food that has been "swimming in a controlled sous vide environment!" Wish I could have a second chance at cooking meats which I screwed up by over cooking on my "beloved BGEs" which are not that forgiving.
    Was just busting your nuts a little. Restaurants do not do that on any scale at all. They should, but they don't. If you are looking for a perfectly cooked steak at 4pm or 12 am, chances are there is not going to be a Sous Vide in the kitchen of that place
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SGH said:  Thus far I have only tried hog and goat anus. It does nothing for anus in my opinion. 

I tried it on hog anus - the hog was clearly not impressed.  

Also, for this application a cordless model would really shine.

Phoenix 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Never heard if it. What is this sorcery you speak of?
    Too funny!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    try unborn chicken!
    canuckland
  • AprèsSki
    Options
    http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/sous vide I can't think of anything that I've cooked via sous vide that I wouldn't do again. Scallops are the bomb and the Kenji lobster recipe in the above link looks incredible. I'm cooking a phat birthday ribeye for a good friend this week and must decide between reverse sear on the egg or sous vide either method followed by major char finish on the egg. Sous vide cooked then air dried and fried chicken is foolproof.

Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • BenitoBlanco
    Options
    Restaurants do not do that on any scale at all. They should, but they don't. If you are looking for a perfectly cooked steak at 4pm or 12 am, chances are there is not going to be a Sous Vide in the kitchen of that place

Why would you say that restaurants don't do that? Why wouldn't they? I see a lot of restaurants and home cooks using them with good reason. Eggheads love the control they have over making the Egg do what they want. I can't see how sous vide wouldn't be the type of thing that we would dive into headfirst knowing that we can cook a food throughout to the exact degree...seems right in our wheelhouse.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Used my Anova to cook Prime Rib at 130 F for 24 hours, then threw it in a commercial convection oven at 450 F for 5 minutes to put a crust on it. This was to feed 15 people at work, and they all raved about it. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Was just busting your nuts a little. Restaurants do not do that on any scale at all. They should, but they don't. If you are looking for a perfectly cooked steak at 4pm or 12 am, chances are there is not going to be a Sous Vide in the kitchen of that place
    If you want a perfectly cooked steak at 12pm, you better be walking into a Sizzler.   Otherwise, you are outta luck!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I cooked carrots (1 hr) and green beans (15mins) in the Anova for Xmas dinner prep.  Both at 183 F.  I finished the carrots on the minimax and made casserole with the beans.  Muy bueno!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You try and show a simple search idea and the guy tags you with Off Topic.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You can even sous vide... desserts

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    google sous weed, lots of recipes =) simple things like infused butters, honey, olive oil to medicated caramels, cookies, brownies B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    changes chuck roast into prime rib 131 degrees 41 hours

fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I used mine a few times and now it collects dust like so much kitchen equipment. The sacrifice of flavor using the SV versus the Egg is too great for me. SV meat is too bland for me regardless of how much I season it. I gave up after a few tries.  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    SGH said:
    I recently acquired a Nova myself. Thus far I have only tried hog and goat anus. It does nothing for anus in my opinion. 
    @sgh brother you have wisely noted the shape of the Anova. However it is immersion cooking, not insertion cooking ;)

love mine. Got a batch of yogurt going now. 

@fishlessman I haven't gone that long on my chucks. But have done a few at 133 for about 24 hours and they come out outstanding. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    edited December 2016
    Options
    pickles are 2.5 hours at 140. these were curried zucchini and as soft as they are fresh they keep the crunch with the sous vide, been wanting to pickle jalapenos and see how much crunch they maintain, canning veggies doesnt need a boiling bath that softens them

fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I use it to heat my bath water.  I like 98.1 deg with no lights.  Not sure why.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    blind99 said:
    SGH said:
    @sgh brother you have wisely noted the shape of the Anova. However it is immersion cooking, not insertion cooking ;)

love mine. Got a batch of yogurt going now. 

@fishlessman I haven't gone that long on my chucks. But have done a few at 133 for about 24 hours and they come out outstanding. 
    im going to try one next time less hours, this one would have started to lose some texture any longer
    fukahwee maine

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Restaurants do not do that on any scale at all. They should, but they don't. If you are looking for a perfectly cooked steak at 4pm or 12 am, chances are there is not going to be a Sous Vide in the kitchen of that place

Why would you say that restaurants don't do that? Why wouldn't they? I see a lot of restaurants and home cooks using them with good reason. Eggheads lve the control they have over making the Egg do what they want. I can't see how sous vide wouldn't be the type of thing that we would dive into headfirst knowing that we can cook a food throughout to the exact degree...seems right in our wheelhouse.
    Welcome- I never said they shouldn't, and I certainly never said we shouldn't. I use mine every week and I have for years. I've used it for catering as well.

If this is truly your first post on here you may be missing some of the nuance that comes with me being 6 (okay 8) glasses of wine in and busting Ron's chops at 1am. 

What is actually true in what I said is that most restaurants don't. Some fancy places will have a signature dish or 2 so the waiter can tell you all about the magic of sous vide and how it's going to blow your mind when you buy the $59 5oz filet. You said there are a lot- I would disagree with you. Maybe 2% of restaurants use it and it's only being used to upsell you to something expensive. The real value of sous vide in a restaurant is to safely hold food at the perfect temp for quick service. This is not being done anywhere that I know of (I'm sure someone does it, just none that I know of).  It will catch on one day, I'm sure of that.But for now it's reserved for food nerds like us and niche restaurants using it to be fancy and part you from your money. 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Fish is spot on .. tough meats are great because you can cook them a long time and break down muscle fibers .. I've been doing 10 hour eye rounds this way with great results.  Things like leg of lamb or beef tenderloin I prefer to cook in the oven or egg still - much more than 4 hours sous vide and the texture gets a bit mushy.  Hard and soft eggs, pate, heating ham or leftover bbq ... 

I've done steaks and chicken ... there is definitely a difference in flavor that I can't quite describe and I don't like it.  It can absolutely level the playing field among cooks in terms of bringing meats to technical doneness.  If you are constantly over or under cooking - it's a game changer .. I just don't know anyone here has that issue.