Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WAY OT: Keeping gun in vehicle

Options

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    You may only carry when riding a moose. Exceptions made for red and black flannel and/or a full denim ensemble when on foot.
    Care to translate what you just said? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    RRP said:
    You may only carry when riding a moose. Exceptions made for red and black flannel and/or a full denim ensemble when on foot.
    Care to translate what you just said? 
    Translation - Joke
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    RRP said:
     You may not want to drive into Canada with that puppy in there.
    Out of total ignorance here, Steven, what are the laws in Canada about weapons in general and CC?
    Hand guns are a restricted weapon. You cannot carry in any way or form except to a range, and if going to a range you need to get a permit to do so. Very few people own handguns here, as it also requires a special licence to be able to aquire which isnt the easiest to get.(i personally have it). Long guns are a fair bit easier to obtain, but also require a licence for unrestricted weapons which is basically a 16-20 hour course, and a bunch of money. You must re-new every 5 years. If you forget you have to start process all over. We had a long gun registry for a bit where everyone had to register every fire arm in their name or risk having them taken away. This costed billions and has since been scrapped. Ultimately they wanted to know what gun everyone had, and eliminate private sales amd trades. This caused a lot of outrage with people that were given guns, or traded, or been passed down etc.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    One of our customers in Canada said gun laws in his area were strict.  He was saying if he wanted to go shoot at a range,  he would need to seek permission/let the police know he was going to be taking a firearm out of his house and transporting it.   
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    poster said:
    RRP said:
     You may not want to drive into Canada with that puppy in there.
    Out of total ignorance here, Steven, what are the laws in Canada about weapons in general and CC?
    Hand guns are a restricted weapon. You cannot carry in any way or form except to a range, and if going to a range you need to get a permit to do so. Very few people own handguns here, as it also requires a special licence to be able to aquire which isnt the easiest to get.(i personally have it). Long guns are a fair bit easier to obtain, but also require a licence for unrestricted weapons which is basically a 16-20 hour course, and a bunch of money. You must re-new every 5 years. If you forget you have to start process all over. We had a long gun registry for a bit where everyone had to register every fire arm in their name or risk having them taken away. This costed billions and has since been scrapped. Ultimately they wanted to know what gun everyone had, and eliminate private sales amd trades. This caused a lot of outrage with people that were given guns, or traded, or been passed down etc.
    All of the above. I also have a restricted permit which allows me to purchase a pistol but there are no carry permits, concealed or otherwise. Not to get political but I am personally fine with that as I have no reason to feel I would ever need to. My only restricted is an old H&R 9 shot .22 that my Grandfather used to carry trapping when it was legal, not any more, and I keep for sentimental reasons. 

If you want to shoot ipsc or anything like that you need to be a member at a range. But despite what some think, you can own pistols and other "restricted" weapons but not prohibited which are usually full auto etc. 

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Also the licence is federal, so same rules across the country
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Carrying a weapon for personal protection is a great responsibility. If I could, I would (I Live in a communist/Nazi state of MD).  The thing is, your safety is first and foremost, your responsibility. Over the years, we have been lulled and even coerced into believing that the gov't will protect you. Just remember, when those few seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

SCOTUS has made it clear that the police are not obligated to "protect" someone, they are only there to clean up the mess after-the-fact. If they are arrive in time, they may (and will) act to protect. Again, when those few seconds count, the police are only minutes away. 

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone

Therefore, it is incumbent upon you to protect yourself. Or not.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2016
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Carrying a weapon for personal protection is a great responsibility. If I could, I would (I Live in a communist/Nazi state of MD).  The thing is, your safety is first and foremost, your responsibility. Over the years, we have been lulled and even coerced into believing that the gov't will protect you. Just remember, when those few seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

SCOTUS has made it clear that the police are not obligated to "protect" someone, they are only there to clean up the mess after-the-fact. If they are arrive in time, they may (and will) act to protect. Again, when those few seconds count, the police are only minutes away. 

I'd like to know what is communist and/or nazi about the State of Maryland, since those two methods of thought/governance are completely opposite. It would be quite amazing if this were true, since we would basically be the State of Schrödinger's Cat.
  • onedbguru
    Options
    funny how most people who are victims go through the training and buy a gun for their future protection.  As the meme stated: Carrying a gun is like a parachute. If you don't have one when you need it, it is doubtful you will ever need it again.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    I carry a cellphone.  Cops are just minutes away.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • onedbguru
    edited December 2016
    Options

Wouldn't hold my breath on them getting there anytime soon.. and oh yeah, by the time you try to dial 911 your vehicle/wallet/phone will be gone and you may be dead.  Can you say "victim".
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    onedbguru said:

Is it politically incorrect if I said I'm fvcking confused by this?
    Options
    I'm betting the buffalo shoots this one down sooner than later. But then again, the buffalo seems to have been roaming the Great Plains without internet recently based on how long the NPD thread has survived. 
    Stampede on mighty Buffalo, stampede on...  
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    funny how most people who are victims go through the training and buy a gun for their future protection.  As the meme stated: Carrying a gun is like a parachute. If you don't have one when you need it, it is doubtful you will ever need it again.
    Never saw that study, care to share your source?
    Options
    onedbguru said:

Wouldn't hold my breath on them getting there anytime soon.. and oh yeah, by the time you try to dial 911 your vehicle/wallet/phone will be gone and you may be dead.  Can you say "victim".
    "victim"
    Options
    I carry regularly, not all the time, but regularly. It may be just me personally, but if someone wants my wallet/car/phone, they can have it. It's just stuff. However, if it comes down to me going home or the safety of my family, I know how to use my firearm to remove myself from a situation. 

To get back to the OP. That is a great setup!
    Las Vegas, NV

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Mickey you have won the forum today.  Sparked lively conversation. I don't think many left butt hurt. Nobody got hateful about the election. All in all well done. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Gives Road Rage a whole new meaning Mick! You may not want to drive into Canada with that puppy in there.
    I found a Toyota dealer in Bellingham who will store my Glock in his office safe when I travel in Canada next time. No way in hell would I take that chance. You guys don't play nice when someone brings a gun across the line. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    Options
    The big problem with everyone carrying guns is they become emboldened and more aggressive in everyday interactions with other people, such as those they think wronged them.  Guns give the carriers of those guns the semblance of a physical game-winning advantage.

Think about how many people have anger management issues and, as such, will blow minor human interactions out of proportion.  Makes it like the wild west.  People don't think clearly when they're emotionally at "11" on the 1-10 scale.   Road rage, girl friends, suspicious or aggressive behavior - if you have a certain personality type, you're more likely to be more aggressive if you're packing.  Most incidences can be defused. 

Guns don't kill people, a-holes kill people.  There are many a-holes.

Most people are going to be responsible as carriers or owners of guns.  There will be carelessness like letting your kids shoot up the house when you don't lock it up properly, or suicide, or accidents because the average gun owner doesn't know what the fvck they're doing when handling it or cleaning it, etc.

I have a lot of guns - I like them, don't carry them or keep em in the car.  I'll put one in the car if I'm going somewhere dicey, like a craigslist purchase in a crappy neighborhood. 

If you have concerns about safety, there are much more important steps you can take to mitigate danger.  Your most powerful weapon is your brain.  Secondary is alarm systems, locking up stuff, paying attention to your surrounding, understanding real vs perceived risk, etc.

Yes, I've seen a gun battle, yes, I've put a gun to the head of someone breaking into my house (retarded guy, most would have shot him), yes, I've had a gun pointed at me.  In none of these situations did the weapon help me.  I think the bravado about "shootin' dem bad guys" is a bunch of crap.  Shut the **** up. Be a smart person and pay attention.  Sure, keep a gun, but be practical about gun laws.  Look at the statistics.  We pay a disproportionate amount to attention to some of the least probably scenarios.
    There's an old saying:  When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.  Good luck fending off an attack with a cell phone.
    Flint, Michigan
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    ...I think the bravado about "shootin' dem bad guys" is a bunch of crap.  Shut the **** up. Be a smart person and pay attention.  Sure, keep a gun, but be practical about gun laws.  Look at the statistics.  We pay a disproportionate amount to attention to some of the least probably scenarios.
    I think a lot of this falls into the Walter Mitty/CosPlay/LARP realms.

That and a poor grasp of statistical data.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gmac
    Options
    Anyone know how to post that Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif?
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited December 2016
    Options
    gmac said:

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • gmac
    Options
    gmac said:

@HofstraJet. Thanks, that's the one...
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @nolaegghead  you have a valid argument. 

Having lived and been deployed to countries where no gun meant being prey to some of the most horrific things man can do to another man...it makes you appreciate a government that respects your right to defend yourself from such atrocities. Having said that I have spent (in my field of work) thousands of hours training on such scenarios. Most people are not willing to put such time into their craft. Kind of like "everyone can cook"!!!

But, if this forum has taught us anything it is this...the first amendment is much like the second. Just because you have the right doesn't mean you have the ability. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Glock 17 with two  15 round clips and a .357 magnum are in my safe...just in case...
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You ever notice that pretty much all mass shootings happen in "gun free zones"?

There were a bunch of people who went to see a movie in a theater in Colorado. They didn't allow guns inside so those with licenses left their guns in their vehicles. A guy came in with a gun and started shooting people. I'm sure lots of people pulled out the cell phones and called 911. The cops did not arrive before a bunch of people died. I'm sure, like some have stated here, many of those people thought they were in a place where they would never need a gun to protect themselves. One licensed legal carrier could have stopped that shooter pretty quick.

I try not to go places where I think I might need a gun. But I have no idea where some lunatic will decide they want to shoot people. I have a LTC. I'll use my gun to protect myself, my family, and a stranger if needed.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Under the steering column doesn't count as out of sight? It has to be completely covered?
    I have a good friend who is a TX State Trooper and I asked him about that. He said that out of sight meant that the gun could not be seen by looking into the vehicle through the window. So if you can put the gun in the holster under the steering column and it can't be seen from outside the car, then you are OK. Would probably work in a car, but not a truck.
    However, if you have a LTC, then you can open carry in your vehicle as long as the gun is on your person. It can't be sitting next to you or anything like that. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.