Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Attn Tom at CGS: please make rotisserie setup for bge

Ill fabricate my own before i overpay for a joetisserie.  iF bge got around to development of it and announce that they had rotisserie setup for bge, theyll announce it and then tease us with release dates for about a year, and then itll be an overpriced item in the 300-400 range

Please, Tom for the sanity of ceramic grillers everywhere, make a ring, spit and motor setup for all sizes of eggs and you will not be able to keep up with demand

I promise to do my part!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Tom had basic prototypes spinning on his XL many, many years ago...
    He might be interested in dabbling again. You never know.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I think it's the self-basting aspect .

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @tjv Bump
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • If it's less than the Joetissirie, I'd buy one.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• I think it would be great if Tom made his version of it but I wonder what patients are currently on the joetissirie.
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • You can buy a cheap rotisserie that will fit on the Egg for like $35.  Google is your friend here.  I don't get the Joetisserie craze, never have, but if folks really can't wait to part with $300 or so, well...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • If a stainless rotisserie were developed, I'd but one immediately. The only reason I have a gasser if for the rotisserie.
    I have a prototype in my head, just haven't had time to ever follow up with it.
  • If a stainless rotisserie were developed, I'd but one immediately. The only reason I have a gasser if for the rotisserie.
    Keep in mind KJ owns IP around the joetissary.  You would have to get around the patent 
  • bigbadben said:
    If a stainless rotisserie were developed, I'd but one immediately. The only reason I have a gasser if for the rotisserie.
    Keep in mind KJ owns IP around the joetissary.  You would have to get around the patent 
    Who owned the patent on Kamado style grills?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    You can buy a cheap rotisserie that will fit on the Egg for like $35.  Google is your friend here.  I don't get the Joetisserie craze, never have, but if folks really can't wait to part with $300 or so, well...
    The Joetisserie is only of real use if one insists on closing the dome, then the wedge shape of the Joetisserie comes into play.

If one is content to leave the dome open then you're right pretty much any roti rig can be set in place.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Ill fabricate my own before i overpay for a joetisserie.  iF bge got around to development of it and announce that they had rotisserie setup for bge, theyll announce it and then tease us with release dates for about a year, and then itll be an overpriced item in the 300-400 range

Please, Tom for the sanity of ceramic grillers everywhere, make a ring, spit and motor setup for all sizes of eggs and you will not be able to keep up with demand

I promise to do my part!
    BGE filed for trademark protection for Eggtisserie earlier this year. So it's likely coming.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • bigbadben said:
    If a stainless rotisserie were developed, I'd but one immediately. The only reason I have a gasser if for the rotisserie.
    Patents last 20 yrs, then it is public knowledge.  BGE to the best of my knowledge never innovated over the imperial kamados from Japan that predate the 1960's BGE. 
  • bigbadben said:
    bigbadben said:
    Patents last 20 yrs, then it is public knowledge.  BGE to the best of my knowledge never innovated over the imperial kamados from Japan that predate the 1960's BGE. 
    My point is that there are several different rotisserie setups currently on the market, just as there are many different Kamado grills.  I doubt any patent the Joe guys own would realistically prevent BGE or anyone else from developing another.
  • You can get a Weber kettle and matching rotisserie for the same price as just the Joetisserie and at least that way you get the flexibility of a second grill.  
  • You can see the patent application here (it has not yet been granted)
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US20130319258A1/en?q=kamadojoe

Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited December 2016
    You can buy a cheap rotisserie that will fit on the Egg for like $35.  Google is your friend here.  I don't get the Joetisserie craze, never have, but if folks really can't wait to part with $300 or so, well...
    I was going to do that in the summer but didn't want to spend $50-$60 for a rotisserie kit.

Instead I bought a dirty greasy gasser on our version of CL for $50, it included a brand new rotisserie kit and an almost full tank of propane.  Self-cleaned the gasser like an oven, using few handfuls of crushed lumps from the bottom of a bag and few logs. Resold the gasser solo for $100.

Bottom line: Made $50 + propane tank + rotisserie kit for few hours' work, not bad for an unemployed old fart with too much time to kill!

canuckland
  • HeavyG
    bigbadben said:
    bigbadben said:
    My point is that there are several different rotisserie setups currently on the market, just as there are many different Kamado grills.  I doubt any patent the Joe guys own would realistically prevent BGE or anyone else from developing another.
    The wedge shaped ring is probably the only unique feature KJ can try and patent. There are certainly other ways to use a roti in a kamado.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HofstraJet
    edited December 2016
    CincyTiki said:
    You can see the patent application here (it has not yet been granted)

Not sure if that's the patent KJ is using or this one.

KJ also filed a patent application for a double-walled air insulated grill. 

Never mind - that was Weber's application. :frowning:
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • HeavyG
    CincyTiki said:

KJ also filed a patent application for a double-walled air insulated grill
    The link for the double walled air insulated grill is the patent app by Weber for their Weber Charcoal Summit Grill.

• HofstraJet
    HeavyG said:
    CincyTiki said:

KJ also filed a patent application for a double-walled air insulated grill
    The link for the double walled air insulated grill is the patent app by Weber for their Weber Charcoal Summit Grill.
    Oops - searched for Premier Specialty Brands and didn't notice that Weber was the owner. Thanks!
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    The craze is that people like rotisserie and the real benefit is the self basting.  My brother has had a kamando for many years and uses it 3-4 nights a week.  We gave him the joe for Xmas and he was a skeptic until he used it to cook 2 whole chickens earlier this week.  He was blown away by the texture and juiciness of the meat, the crispness of the skin, and the ease of cooking.  Now, he prefers spinning to spachcocking a bird.  Yes, expensive relative to some other accessories however, well worth it.  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    eggnewtoy said:
    The craze is that people like rotisserie and the real benefit is the self basting.  My brother has had a kamando for many years and uses it 3-4 nights a week.  We gave him the joe for Xmas and he was a skeptic until he used it to cook 2 whole chickens earlier this week.  He was blown away by the texture and juiciness of the meat, the crispness of the skin, and the ease of cooking.  Now, he prefers spinning to spachcocking a bird.  Yes, expensive relative to some other accessories however, well worth it.  
    I agree that roti cooking is beyond a novelty.  I used it all the time on my old weber setup....and will get around to a bge homemade setup
  • eggnewtoy said:
    The JoeTisserie is expensive relative to other rotisserie units that are available.  Rotisserie doesn't have to be expensive.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I rigged up a $30 rotisserie from Lowe's on my large egg. The dome was open about 1" or so by the handle (for the whole chicken cook) and I was still able to maintain my target 400° temp. What I didn't like was the smoke/soot accumulation on the outside of the dome. I was able to scrub it off, but I don't want to have to scrub it off! Is it worth an additional $220 to seal it up? Not to me. I can use it on my kettle, though it takes a bit longer. I have no way (yet) to use the lid. And a winter cook with no lid would probably take a week!! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

I have my kettle/rotisserie setup so I can't justify buying the joetisserie. You could even get a cheap kettle off Craigslis for cheap and buy this rotisserie.  https://www.amazon.com/Onlyfire-2-Inch-Charcoal-Rotisserie-Masterbuilt/dp/B016VS9QPY?th=1