Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I may have a coffee problem.

Options

Comments

• wbradking
    Options
    Hey @Mattman3969 I had that exact machine for several years but finally had to get rid of it.  The internal water tubes split where they attached to the metal parts and caused it to have some leaks. Things eventually rusted and there wasn't much I could do. I did really enjoy the Americano pucks. I think I like it better than my Keurig. Take the top off and give it an inspection every once in a while. 
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Funny to think back on it now. Grew up in the '50s and had tea as far back as I can remember, but coffee wasn't allowed until I was around 12 in our house. It had to have milk and sugar per my parents. Drink mine with local honey and heavy cream now. K cups for convenience since I don't drink that much anymore. Used to love a cup after dinner, but as I got older, I would lay awake at night and count the bumps on the ceiling. No caffeine for me after noon now. Sucks because I love coffee.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Funny to think back on it now. Grew up in the '50s and had tea as far back as I can remember, but coffee wasn't allowed until I was around 12 in our house. It had to have milk and sugar per my parents. Drink mine with local honey and heavy cream now. K cups for convenience since I don't drink that much anymore. Used to love a cup after dinner, but as I got older, I would lay awake at night and count the bumps on the ceiling. No caffeine for me after noon now. Sucks because I love coffee.
    These are pretty good in the evening:

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Thanks guys for the heads up about the french press. We were shopping for a better looking coffee maker to leave on the counter since mine looks crappy and this one works great and can easily be put away and it was cheap. The forum actually saved me money thats a first.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Lit said:
    Thanks guys for the heads up about the french press. We were shopping for a better looking coffee maker to leave on the counter since mine looks crappy and this one works great and can easily be put away and it was cheap. The forum actually saved me money thats a first.
    I think you will like the results from the French press. And when you are not in a hurry, it can be fun to use. Try some Kenya AA course grind sometime. Good stuff.
  • oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've come to love the process/ritual of making the french press in the morning. One great accessory is an electric tea kettle that allows you to heat water to 200 degrees.

I use the Nissan Insulated 32 oz French Press: http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Insulated-Stainless-Steel-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00004S1DB

I don't really let the coffee sit in there long enough to enjoy the benefits of the insulation but it's 10000x more durable so I don't care about taking it camping.

FWIW, this is the tea kettle I use: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPK-17-PerfecTemp-1-7-Liter-Stainless/dp/B003KYSLNQ

EDIT:
    This is the burr mill grinder we use: http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-Infinity-Stainless-Conical-Grinder/dp/B009430FHW/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1455286151&sr=1-2&keywords=capresso+burr+coffee+grinder

So much for saving money.....
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Lit
    Options
    I buy my coffee at costco usually and their grinder has a french press setting that is way up there on the coarseness. I know it won't be same day ground fresh but if I get a good air tight container is that horrible?
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Lit said:
    I buy my coffee at costco usually and their grinder has a french press setting that is way up there on the coarseness. I know it won't be same day ground fresh but if I get a good air tight container is that horrible?
    No big deal, especially if you blast through it within a week or so.  We did that for the longest time until we got married and got the BBB hookup.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Now that I think about it, I have more coffee makers than grills.  That's not cool.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • epcotisbest
    edited February 2016
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Now that I think about it, I have more coffee makers than grills.  That's not cool.
    I too have more coffee makers than grills...and I have four grills, if you count gassers and portables.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Thanks @epcotisbest. Just got used to doing without. I substitute with wine instead, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by the pour over method with a setup like this. Might have to give it a try.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by the pour over method with a setup like this. Might have to give it a try.

We were in France, close to the Italian border, this was the only coffee maker offered. We were looking for a French press, asked for it, and they were shocked we would even be interested. We tried it, liked it, but we liked our FP better. We took our own blend of coffee with us.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Bought some Starbucks Holiday Blend kcups at Ollie's yesterday. $3.99 for a box of 10. Fairly good price and it has a good flavor. Use by date is 05/05/2016 so it is still very usable.

• Lit
    Options
    This thread cost me some money. I now have a French press at home and at work and a burr grinder at home. Coffee is so much better though.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    This machine has been good to me, have not thought twice about the purchase.

Seattle, WA
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I too have been caught up in the espresso addiction. I am on a low carb high fat diet under Dr. supervision and have been making a double shot on top of prewarmed heavy cream for my morning fix. Kind of  a Cappuccino drink but only 1.1 carbs. Sometimes a shake of cinnamon on top. I am waiting for cabinet to arrive before I post any pix of my setup. This sport is just as expensive as Eggs or BRD.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Lit said:
    I am halfway to work and my coffee is gone. Now that's a coffee problem.
    Yes, that is a problem.
    Especially if you work from home.
    My caffeine was from coke. Slowly weaning myself off of it completely tho.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    This machine has been good to me, have not thought twice about the purchase.

I have the exact same machine.
    Options
    I use a Jura Ena Micro 1 super automatic.  Got it brand new for $400 on a price mistake from Amazon.  Pulls greats shots of espresso and also a nice pressure brewed cup of coffee with the crema.  

Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    @SkinnyV that is way more advanced than my little Keurig.
    @chrisc133 same. Way fancy. 
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Tried this one and really liked it. No need to start a new thread, just posted this to my old thread.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    My caffeine was from coke. Slowly weaning myself off of it completely tho.
    I feel your pain brother. Coke is by far and large my favorite drink. There is nothing even close to it in my book. I drink it around the clock. However, like yourself, for the past couple of weeks I have been trying really hard to break the habit. I can honestly say that it has been the hardest thing that I have ever done. I have got down to 3-4 a day now. I hope in another week or so to be down to 1-2. Then down to 0 a day after that hopefully. Time will tell my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mikeinccfl
    Options
    Black for me, please. I used a Farberware percolator a long time ago. I remember stove-top percs but never used them. Now I grind fresh every morning and make a few cups of pour-over.

I used to drink about a quart every day but like @Mosca, the caffeine caught up to me and I cut back when my sleep was affected.

L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    While I still love my nespresso (posted earlier in thread), that's days I'm pretty much just drinking cold brew - strong, so much less bitter.

1 cup or coffee, 4 cups of water, stir, let it sit for 12-24hrs - strain, dilute as desired. Can't beat it. 
  • E-ville Egg
    Options
    When I was working in the meat cooler I'd drink at least 8 cups per day. I'd fill up my cup and my big Stanley thermos and would usually have it gone by 10am. Somedays I'd get another cup from Kaldi's (St. Louis coffee shop) that was located in my store. Now a days I drink 2-3 cups from an Aeropress which I bought for camping but enjoy much more than the coffee from the keurig. I've been drinking black for about 15 years. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have always wanted an undercounter coffee brewer that was hard plumbed to a water line. I know this takes the thread in a bid different direction, but has anyone purchased one that is not Comercial grade ($$$$$)?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I have always wanted an undercounter coffee that was hard plumbed to a water line. I know this takes the thread in a bid different direction, but has anyone purchased one that is not Comercial grade ($$$$$)?

This thread needs another direction.  I figured I'd read it because with over 80 posts there must be something of high entertainment value.  Nope.  Nada.  Just coffee. 

I suppose if I liked coffee it would be different....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    =) Foghorn said:
    I have always wanted an undercounter coffee that was hard plumbed to a water line. I know this takes the thread in a bid different direction, but has anyone purchased one that is not Comercial grade ($$$$$)?

This thread needs another direction.  I figured I'd read it because with over 80 posts there must be something of high entertainment value.  Nope.  Nada.  Just coffee. 

I suppose if I liked coffee it would be different....
    Maybe we could discuss what Hillary drinks? =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    A short story from my youth. My elderly great aunt came to live with us after her health began to fail. One morning my mother went down to the kitchen after noticing a terrible smell coming through the house. My great aunt wanted a cup of coffee and had put the plastic PolyPerk coffee maker on a burner and tried to heat it up. Shortly there after  she was admitted to a local care center as she could no longer be left to her own devices
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa