Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Bought a Plate Setter, now what???

I have had my egg for about 7_months now.
And I have just gone through my first bag of Charcoal.

So while I was at the store, buying a new bag

I did a impulse thing, and bought my first egg_ccessory
A Plate Setter!!

SO, what do I need to know about this thing??

How to cook with it?
How to keep it from cracking?
Must use recipes with it?

What do I need to know.

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Search forum for "indirect" for ideas. Chicken, reverse sear, pork butt, brisket, pizza, etc... Indirect cooking is sort of like turning your egg into an oven. (no direct flame). You've got "legs up" and "leg's down" - both has it's place but you'll likely want to try leg's down for a while. Try some chicken breasts, legs down, dome temp 350.. marinate and enjoy.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Raymont
    edit.. both has it's place but you'll likely want to try leg's down up for a while. Try some chicken breasts, legs down up, dome temp 350.. marinate and enjoy.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Think of it as making your Egg a smoke filled oven. It deflect heat so the protein is exposed to direct heat. Throw it in, legs up, and cook something up. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    If you have the time do a butt, one of the first i tried and very forgiving.
    Austin, Tx
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    It's what converts the BGE from a grill into an indirect cooker/oven/smoker -- super useful!  Some people use it legs-down for pizza, putting a pizza stone on top of it with something to keep a little space between it and the plate setter.  I always use mine with the legs up and the grate on top of the legs for slow, indirect cooking/smoking, usually with an aluminum pan to catch drippings below the grate.  Some people insist you need a spacer below the drip pan to prevent the drippings from burning, but I can't see how it's hurt me not doing so.

So, for example, now that you have your plate setter, you could smoke some spare ribs, smoke a pork butt for pulled pork, smoke a brisket (you might want to try a few other things before the brisket, though -- they are trickier).  Lots of people cook chickens raised direct, but I usually cook spatchcock chicken indirect over a plate setter.

Think about what appeals to you the most, and then search the forum for that topic, and you'll find lots of recipes and descriptions.
  • Make a plan to do your first shoulder or ribs this weekend.  It really changes your awesome grill into an awesome oven and that opens up your cooking options.
    Best - Jack
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    edited August 2016
    Don't wrap it in aluminum foil, I've decided I'm not and a fan of aluminum foil reducing to metal ash from the extreme heat.

Heres a thread I started last night with a lot of good feedback on the subject

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1198277/wrapping-the-plate-setter

Not much is required for maintenance but you'll definitely want a pan to catch drippings if you slow cook a Boston butt, a lot of nastiness will come out during that long slow cook.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Now it's time to see what the egg is all about!

Thanksgiving / christmas turkeys

Hams

Pulled pork, Brisket, Ribs

Cookies, Cakes

Reverse seared steaks

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    Make a plan to do your first shoulder or ribs this weekend.  It really changes your awesome grill into an awesome oven and that opens up your cooking options.

I did ribs this weekend. 
    On direct heat, with out it. (did not have it yet.)
    And have been doing this way for afew months now.

Generally speaking how will the plate setter affect time  and temps?
    On things, I have been cooking already, like ribs & chickens, ect...?
    And stuff.

• I've had my egg for 6 weeks now.  1 free 20# bag of BGE charcoal, 2 HD 15.6# bags of royal oak, and yesterday opened my first 20# bag of rock wood. ( I have another in the garage unopened too )

i use use mynplate setter with my woo.  
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    G_S said:
    Make a plan to do your first shoulder or ribs this weekend.  It really changes your awesome grill into an awesome oven and that opens up your cooking options.

I did ribs this weekend. 
    On direct heat, with out it. (did not have it yet.)
    And have been doing this way for afew months now.

Generally speaking how will the plate setter affect time  and temps?
    On things, I have been cooking already, like ribs & chickens, ect...?
    And stuff.

I've never cooked ribs direct, how did they turn out?

Once the platesetter is up to temp it won't affect the cook time as you will typically only use for low and slow. All the cook times for low and slow are typically based on being done indirect.
  • G_S
    feef706 said:

they have always turned out good.
    St. Louis style pork ribs.
    Membrane removed
    cooked at between 225 - 250 for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
    Put on grill at close to room temp.
    Put dry rub on them in the morning.
    Put final coating of Sweet Baby Rays, BBQ sauce on them about 20 - 30 mins Before I pulled them off.

And they were GREAT!!!

How do I keep it the plate setter from cracking?
    Should be something I should even worry about?

Can I put a skillet right on the plate setter, or do I need the grill grate as a buffer?

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    How do I keep the plate setter from cracking?  Do not drop it on a hard surface.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited August 2016
    G_S said:
    feef706 said:

they have always turned out good.
    St. Louis style pork ribs.
    Membrane removed
    cooked at between 225 - 250 for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
    Put on grill at close to room temp.
    Put dry rub on them in the morning.
    Put final coating of Sweet Baby Rays, BBQ sauce on them about 20 - 30 mins Before I pulled them off.

And they were GREAT!!!

How do I keep it the plate setter from cracking?
    Should be something I should even worry about?

Can I put a skillet right on the plate setter, or do I need the grill grate as a buffer?

No real worries about it cracking unless you accidentally break it. I keep the platesetter in the garage and it can get -20 or more during the winter and I'll toss it in the egg without any worry. I'll get the egg 800+ degrees for pizza and works perfect for deflecting heat. 

You can place the skillet on the platesetter but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. The platesetter can get super hot and burn whatever food is in the skillet quickly. I'd recommend some type of air gap between the two. You can use tin foil balls, crushed beer cans, stainless nuts, copper pipe/elbows, or something a little more "official" to do this.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Now you're set for low and slows! My guess is that once you start egging more Bbq you'll be using more charcoal :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    G_S said:

So while I was at the store, buying a new bag

I did a impulse thing, and bought my first egg_ccessory
    A Plate Setter!!

SO, what do I need to know about this thing??

How to cook with it?
    How to keep it from cracking?
    Must use recipes with it?

What do I need to know.

how the heck did you get a bag of lump to last 7 months?  It must have been enormous. 
    I was hoping I wasn't the only one that noticed that.  I average a bag of fogo a week.  Costly habit...but I could find worse hobbies :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Not trying to be an ass, but in the long run you may thank me.  Many will agree with me in that your best bet would be to return the platesetter and use the money towards a rig from Ceramic Grill Store.

Anyway, you'll enjoy indirect cooking some low and slows!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Two types of plate setters out there:
    1) Cracked Platesetters and 2) Platesettets that are going to crack. On my second right now, undet warranty. Mine came with a package deal when I bought my eggs. When my most recent bites the big one, I will do the CGS thing. I really enjoy mine, but likely because I have yet to try anything else.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    7 months? One bag of lump?

'Splain
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Your dealer did you a disservice not including a PS in your package. IMHO, an Egg is not an Egg without it. You will learn to use it and use it 50% of the time. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Put the platesetter in legs up and throw on a meatloaf. Cook it just like you would in the oven. Same temp and time. Put a small amount of wood in so you get a little smoke. Thank me later.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    i agree with @THEBuckeye it should come standard. First cooks i did were a swineapple, pork butt, sausage fatties, coreless caramelized apples, so many options!
    Austin, Tx
  • Raymont
    What I want to know is why new forum member with no previous comments or posts didn't like my advice...  :o

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• NorthPilot06
    Haha.  No idea.  There, I've offset it.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Return it and buy an AR?
  • G_S
    edited August 2016
    G_S said:

how the heck did you get a bag of lump to last 7 months?  It must have been enormous. 
    I was hoping I wasn't the only one that noticed that.  I average a bag of fogo a week.  Costly habit...but I could find worse hobbies :)

It is a Mini_Max so it only take about 5 to 7 or so hand fulls to fill it up.
    And add about 1 or 2 hand fulls of fresh lump for every new cook, and mix it with the old.
    And cook about 2 twice a week, Some times less, some times more
    Maybe I not putting enough coal in there??

I will say the lump in the bag, (both BGE brand but from different, BGE dealers.)
    Is MUCH larger LUMP.

• NorthPilot06
    @G_S - I lack a good reference point for a mini max outside of anecdotally knowing that it is "more" efficient...I have a large myself.  But I'd have to venture that ~60 cooks over the past seven months from a 20# (?) bag is a new record :)
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Raymont said:
    What I want to know is why new forum member with no previous comments or posts didn't like my advice...  :o

+1 on the offset
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein