Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wrapping the plate setter

Options
Ive been in the habit of wrapping my plate setter for ease of cleanup and handling when not in use, however I've been finding that after a long or hot cook the heavy duty aluminum foil has been disintegrating, basically breaking down.

This has me concerned for toxins getting into the food. Anyone else noticed this.

Is it a bad idea to wrap?

Comments

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I don't wrap the platesetter. I just form a sheet to go on the top, using heavy duty aluminum foil. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't wrap the platesetter. I just form a sheet to go on the top, using heavy duty aluminum foil. 
    Maybe I need to do that as it always seems the part that folds to the underside is the really bad looking stuff. Thanks for the idea.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Maybe I need to do that as it always seems the part that folds to the underside is the really bad looking stuff. Thanks for the idea.
    You can also use the lids from the heavy duty foil pans. Cut or bend to fit.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If you use a drip pan that is bigger than the protein there is no need to wrap the PS.  10yrs and I've never wrapped my PS and it still looks good and clean.  Used but clean. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    I must be old school, I never minded what the plate setter looked like as long as it functions. And for me, it functions fine even if it looks like its been through a war. Badge of honor I say. Anyway, my better half would disagree (but I don't let her near the egg anyway...) but, I never bother to "protect" the setter. No foil. No protection. After 16 years I'm happy to say its as good as new. Well, almost :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I'm a fan of wrapping - NOT rapping =) - and I never use more than enough to cover the exposed part and barely around the edges meaning the HD foil is not on the bottom side exposed to any high heat. I've never had the melted aluminum foil you have observed. To each his own, but don't understand the thinking that a PS with grossly baked on crap is so cool to some eggers. But YMMV  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • feef706
    Options
    flyerdoc said:
    I must be old school, I never minded what the plate setter looked like as long as it functions. And for me, it functions fine even if it looks like its been through a war. Badge of honor I say. Anyway, my better half would disagree (but I don't let her near the egg anyway...) but, I never bother to "protect" the setter. No foil. No protection. After 16 years I'm happy to say its as good as new. Well, almost :)
    I am not so much worried about looks as I am ease of handling, I've noticed a lot of nasty sludge after a Boston butt.

Thanks all, I think we have a consensus.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Drip pan will fix that for you.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • feef706
    Options
    RRP said:
    To each his own, but don't understand the thinking that a PS with grossly baked on crap is so cool to some eggers. But YMMV  =)
    They call that seasoned...
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Is there any way to prevent the drippings from burning and giving off bad fat/drippings burning smoke? Wrapped or not or with a drip pan i have had this happen on some occasions
    Austin, Tx
  • feef706
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Is there any way to prevent the drippings from burning and giving off bad fat/drippings burning smoke? Wrapped or not or with a drip pan i have had this happen on some occasions
    Do you have an airgap? It's going to burn eventually but an airgap helps.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I can have the food higher then the plate setter but the black bubbles give off white smoke.
    Austin, Tx
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2016
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    This acrid taste happened to me as well, even with an air gap, only in the BGE.  I don't experience this in my WSMs running empty water pans, drip pan is much more elevated  from the heat source.  Or via snake method in the kettle with the pan being off heat.  KBQ, the fat drains out of the bottom with a drip pan outside of the pit.

Used to add some water to the BGE drip pan towards the later stages of the cook, just enough to cover the drippings.  Add more water if necessary.  Sadly, due to progression regression, the eggs seldom Q, grill, or bake pies anymore.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    feef706 said:
    RRP said:
    To each his own, but don't understand the thinking that a PS with grossly baked on crap is so cool to some eggers. But YMMV  =)
    They call that seasoned...
    LOL - it is your meat, not mine, so who am I to say how you like it? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I'll do a top wrap for a low and slow just due to the amount of fat/sludge that seems to collect on top of it.  For all other cooks (i.e. higher temp cooks) I let it go naked as the Egg Gods intended it. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    I have started cooking all my meats in the aluminum pan on the grate. All except brisket since i cant fit one large enough. I just let it drip on the PS and do a clean burn with the PS in there to take care of the crap. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I'm in the air-gapped drip pan club.  Never have foiled the platesetter.  No crud build-up but definitely in the seasoned category.  Same deal with the stone for the SBGE.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I like the @Mickey method, SALT!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you have a BGE plate setter, then this is one of the handiest accessories out of Tom's Ceramic Grill Store.  The cost is minimal ... cheaper than anything comparable you'll find at the Goodwill store.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/drip-pans-stainless-steel-round

Like @feef706 , I didn't like the aluminum foil under the plate setter turning into gossamer threads during a cook, so bought the stainless steel drip pan.  I do foil the pan to aid in cleanup, but since the foil is out of the direct line of fire, it doesn't disintegrate.

I like the 14" for my large plate setter, Tom recommends the 16" ...

You might also think about picking up three of the 1/2" thick ceramic spacers to provide an air gap.  Wadded up aluminum foil or copper T's will provide a good spacer, but the pans don't slide around as easily on the ceramic spacers.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/ceramic-spacers-3-set

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    If you have a BGE plate setter, then this is one of the handiest accessories out of Tom's Ceramic Grill Store.  The cost is minimal ... cheaper than anything comparable you'll find at the Goodwill store.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/drip-pans-stainless-steel-round
    I've been meaning to order that 18" drip pan for my XL for about 6 months now, but in the meantime I found an 18" round aluminum serving tray at GFS for $2.79 just yesterday, so I'm going to give that a shot for a while more. I will still line it with HD foil to prolong it's use. I guess I'm just cheap.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I ordered the largest drip pan to fit in my plate setter.  I lay foil in that for easy clean up.  Also put 3 balls of foil between my plate setter and drip pan.  Those same 3 balls of foil I have been using for the past few months and they are still there.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• feef706
    Options
    @Jeepster47 I'm a day late and a dollar short, I literally just placed my first CGS order on Friday so I'll have to look for another solution.

@Eggaroo what is GFS?
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    feef706 said:

@Eggaroo what is GFS?
    GFS = Gordon Food Service. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)