Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Gods!

Options
So I normally don't inject brisket and just go 250 done until done. If need to be done and it won't I will wrap in foil or paper. However this is weird as hell and only think I can link it to is this time I injected with butchers prime injection mixed with water.  I put on a 12 lb choice at 4am steady at 250 dome with drip pan with about 12 oz of outdated flat coke so the drippings don't burn. When I got up and checked it at 8 it was already 151 then around 10 noticed it was down to 147. Left with the kids for a few hours and came home around 230 and it was at 144. Double checked with thermapen for internal and my dome thermo was just calibrated as well. Also running a maverick which was spot on. I have it wrapped and slowly bringing up the egg temp to around 300.

Does the injection really add this much time?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Never have juiced but if you figure that the stall is all about evaporative cooling and you artificially add liquid then it makes sense that the stall process would become a protracted exercise.  Will be interested in the flavor profile once finished.  I'm sure there will be residuals from the juice but to what extent?  BTW here's link about the stall:
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html  FWIW-
    Edit-no brisket god.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @lousubcap did you just say there's no brisket god?  
    now i feel empty and alone...
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    Options
    @sgh I like the way you think.  for something as important as brisket, there must be gods, not just one.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @sgh I like the way you think.  for something as important as brisket, there must be gods, not just one.
    The Brisket Gods are indeed many in number my friend. Some more helpful than others. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    SGH said:
    If you really want the Brisket Gods to answer, you must first pray to them. Even then they may or may not answer. Here is a great prayer to the Brisket Gods:

Oh Brisket Gods, I pray to thee,
    Cast your guidance and blessing down upon me.
    Oh ruler of both fire and flame,
    Guide me so I avoid failure and shame.
    Hold my hand and steer me straight,
    That this brisket may turn out great. 
    May my point be moist and my flat be true,
    This I humbly beg of you. 
    Down on my knees I do pray,
    That you might bless me and show me the way. 
    Fan my flame and stoke my fire,
    And show the world that SGH is not a liar :o

Sometimes they answer, sometimes they don't.   

Been doing this for years! Well said my friend. 

NW IA

• blind99
    Options
    SGH said:
    blind99 said:
    The Brisket Gods are indeed many in number my friend. Some more helpful than others. 
    @sgh no kidding.  i've met some that seem to exist just to fvck with me. 'brisket? no, you mortal, you're making football'
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @blind99 Obviously there are brisket gods.  My edit was to confirm that I am not one.  Sorry for the confusion.  
    And regarding @SGH, he uses Ron's money to showcase his ability to walk on brisket infused water without getting his feet wet.  Beyond that I will refrain from any further comments on the above @SGH 's great prose. ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    Options
    @lousubcap phew! i was worried there. i've learned a ton about brisket from your posts, so you've definitely got an inside line.

(sorry about the thread hijack OP)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @lousubcap phew! i was worried there. i've learned a ton about brisket from your posts, so you've definitely got an inside line.

Don't let brother Cap pull the wool over your eyes. He certainly presides amongst the Gods.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Never have juiced but if you figure that the stall is all about evaporative cooling and you artificially add liquid then it makes sense that the stall process would become a protracted exercise.  Will be interested in the flavor profile once finished.  I'm sure there will be residuals from the juice but to what extent?  BTW here's link about the stall:
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html  FWIW-
    Edit-no brisket god.  
    I have read that before and I definitely understand the "why/how" just can't believe it added way way way more time.  

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @SGH I also misted with melted butter in your honor as a sacrifice to the Gods. 

NW IA

• blind99
    Options
    I'd say that's a feast. Looks fantastic. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The 'stall' is water being driven off. 

Add water. Longer stall 

looks great, btw

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Looks awesome! I guarantee it's better than Smokey D's brisket I had the other night. That was a pass. Yum!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I'd definitely hit that. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Great looking brisket.

I've never experimented with injecting brisket yet,,,but may try it on the next one !!!

Thanks for posting !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• lousubcap
    Options
    For all the stall that result was definitely worth it.  Great looking result and banquet.  Congrats.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Great results....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I use Butcher's injection all the time in competitions. It won't make any difference whatsoever in your cook time.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks awesome! I guarantee it's better than Smokey D's brisket I had the other night. That was a pass. Yum!
    Thanks, only think I've eaten at Smokey D's is ribs and double mac n' cheese. I also hear that the wings are amazing.

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

@Blind99 - Thanks, it was for sure. Couple of freezer meals out of the deal as well.

@Darby_Crenshaw - Thanks! I guess when injecting I'll have to work on my timing.

@NC_Egghead - Thanks!

@Foghorn - Thanks!

@dldawes1 - It was definitely more moist and the flavor enhancement was very noticeable. Give it a go just give yourself lots more time.

@lousubcap - It was worth the wait!

@saluki2007 - Thanks!

@Gunnar - Thanks!

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    I use Butcher's injection all the time in competitions. It won't make any difference whatsoever in your cook time.

Then why @smokeyw did it take much longer than normal. The only thing I changed was the injection?

NW IA

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    smokeyw said:

Then why @smokeyw did it take much longer than normal. The only thing I changed was the injection?

I don't really have an answer as to why it took so long. But I have cooked at least as many that were injected with Butchers as were not and have never experienced any noticeable difference in timing. I do know that there will always be some difference in timing due to fat content, density, etc.. In addition to that, I never use any liquid in a drip pan. That may have made some difference. Do you usually do that?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Thanks, only think I've eaten at Smokey D's is ribs and double mac n' cheese. I also hear that the wings are amazing.
    My hopes were high with the brisket being the ribs are so good. It probably didn't help we ate an hour and a half before they closed. The brisket and burnt ends had very little flavor and tasted more like pot roast. The side potato casserole was freaking awesome. Will be looking for a copy cat recipe on that. Your brisket on the other hand looks fantastic!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    smokeyw said:

I don't really have an answer as to why it took so long. But I have cooked at least as many that were injected with Butchers as were not and have never experienced any noticeable difference in timing. I do know that there will always be some difference in timing due to fat content, density, etc.. In addition to that, I never use any liquid in a drip pan. That may have made some difference. Do you usually do that?

@smokeyw - Yes, I always use a drip tray with just enough liquid to cover the bottom.

NW IA

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    smokeyw said:

My experience has been the same. I have cooked a lot of injected and a lot of not injected briskets. I have not found the injection to make as much of a difference as brand/grade. Briskets can be weird. I bet that brisket would have taken forever even without the injection.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum