Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Much Do You Spend?

Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,354
I know there are tons of variables but how much do you (average)spend a week on food and drink?
Include  spices, seasonings, booze, anything edible but not restaurant food. Also include the region you live in and how many mouths you feed.
Its just me and Mrs. Dobie and occasionally I cook a meal for my folks and I think it's about $200 a week. I'm n NE FL. 

Jacksonville FL

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I feed 5 and it's similar.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Dobie
    Jstroke said:
    Wow $40 per person, that's outstanding. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Single dad, one daughter - about 100/wk for the two of us - we don't eat out so that's everything.  We roll pretty simple compared to most here.  Phoenix.
    Phoenix 
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    The wife buys the food so I have zero idea. I do know I spend about 25 or 30 on beer every couple weeks.  =)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Around 250/week for me. 4 people, 1 hour north of DC in Maryland.
  • Dobie
    cheeaa said:
    The wife buys the food so I have zero idea. I do know I spend about 25 or 30 on beer every couple weeks.  =)
    The two of us spend about $50 a week of that budget on beer and wine  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • Davie755
    Davie755 Posts: 54
    600 a month for my wife and I. That's food and drink. We have a separate restaurant budget that we pay in to. Go Dave Ramsey!
    XL BGE - Adjustable rig combo, Rutland gasket, 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Dobie said:
    cheeaa said:
    The two of us spend about $50 a week of that budget on beer and wine  =)
    Nice. My wife's pregnant for another month and a half but once she's good the wine will be flowing!! 
  • Dobie
    That's pretty good, I'm thinking the cost of living there is a good bit higher than my area. There is some benefit to cooking in quantity. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    You can say Dundalk, don't be ashamed.

$150ish a week here. 2 adults 3 kids. Bay area, ca
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Just me and my fiancee. I'm fat, she's skinny; I eat like a pig, she eats like a bird; I like beer and liquor, she doesn't drink.. Lol about $100/week
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Dobie
    Just want to add this isn't a judgement thread, BBQ was invented on making cheap meat cuts great. I wish I could make a cheap brisket fantastic  :|
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Dobie said:
    Just want to add this isn't a judgement thread, BBQ was invented on making cheap meat cuts great. 
    If Hillary wins, I sure hope someone can tell me how to make great Spam and potted meat or I'm going to starve to death.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Dobie said:
    Just want to add this isn't a judgement thread, BBQ was invented on making cheap meat cuts great.
    Agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Since time immemorial, man has cooked what he could kill or scavenge over live fire. And there was a time that he did it without all modern luxurys that we now have. Like BGE's and custom smokers.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    SGH said:
    Dobie said:
    Since time immemorial, man has cooked what he could kill or scavenge over live fire. And there was a time that he did it without all modern luxurys that we now have. Like BGE's and custom smokers.  
    Or a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. :smiley:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dobie
    edited June 2016
    SGH said:
    Dobie said:
    If Hillary wins, I sure hope someone can tell me how to make great Spam and potted meat or I'm going to starve to death.  
    Yeah Hillary doesn't have steaks

Can't stand the b!tch BTW. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    Dobie said:
    Or a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. :smiley:

Indeed sir =)

Status- Standing by.

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Spam is the business. I will throw a can in next time I bbq something. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Eggcelsior
    BYS1981 said:
    You can say Dundalk, don't be ashamed.

$150ish a week here. 2 adults 3 kids. Bay area, ca
    I'm in Frederick. Dundalk is more like 60 minutes Northeast of DC, hon.
  • Eggcelsior
    Dobie said:
    That's pretty good, I'm thinking the cost of living there is a good bit higher than my area. There is some benefit to cooking in quantity. 
    In addition, we mostly by organic or local/premium over commodity stuff.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    i would guess we spend 150- 200 a week on food on avg, and that includes the occasional splurges on steak and a nice bottle of wine.  We had to tighten it up lately but i can say this, having the bge has given me the chance to make spectacular food on a frugal budget.   my neighbor works at sysco so i get 90 lbs of shoulder for $80.    pulled pork,sausage, red chile, green chili, carnitas etc are all awesome off the bge.  Pizza, brisket, burgers and steaks are probably the family favorites.  
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Dobie said:
    Jstroke said:
    Wow $40 per person, that's outstanding. 
    Well, I try to be as scratch as possible which helps. And I buy meat in bulk. And the Costco bill hits pretty hard, but not every week. Overall it's pretty simple. But I would say higher in quality. Than "average". Of course, she does the bills, what do I know
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We try to shop wisely.  I'm not sure what we spend, will have to ask SWBMO.  She buys 80% of the groceries.  We do buy subprimals and in bulk, use the foodsaver.  Make as much as we can from scratch. 

You can really blow through money buying prepared/processed food.

We host a dinner party at least once a week and have friends over frequently, so we're cooking for more than 2 on average.
    Like @SGH said eating/cooking to me is entertainment and food.

I spend 100 a week for 2 adults. Our local grocery has a very good selection of on the shelf items, but lacks in meat and produce.

I make a run when needed a few hours away and buy subprimals. Only feasible when I'm buying a hundo or more pounds really. 

In Tigertown SC
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Hard telling exactly..... Since I do all of the cooking , I buy the food. When a month has five Fridays in it , then it's meat time at BJs and RD. The rest I just fill in from Wally World and ALDI , as needed. The Foodsaver and Deep Freezer help a lot. 
    More meat please !! :-)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Family of 4 (2 teenagers) 250/week, adult beverages, well that is just another story. We have a shrim boil coming up which we will spend a couple grand.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    We spend around 250-300 per month for a family of 3.  We also purchase part of a cow and pig each year.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    It all depends if SRF is on the menu...