Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Much Do You Spend?

Options
124»

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    McStew said:
    My wife is out of control with groceries on average she spends 300-400 a week for two of us just on organic vegetables for juicing

Wow that’s crazy high, why not drop the 400/week to 100 & eat the veggies rather than juicing them?  You’d get the added benefits of all that fiber into the diet that’s separated when juiced & the sensation that you ate something…

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    We're at around $700 food, $600 wine/beer/booze per month (actually that number may be a bit higher)

We always hit multiple stores to get the freshest, bestest, food and deals.  And we buy bulk of things that make sense.
    thats more than my weekday lake house and my weekend lake house mortgages =) 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I buy the meat and the beer and probably spend about $200 a month for the two of us but how much Cherie spends is a mystery to me.  We don't eat out nearly as much as we use to when near home.

Gerhard
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Our alcohol budget is totally separate from the food, we belong to 2 Wine clubs for about $60 a month. Count in beer/cider for the hubby you are looking at another $40 or so. It is hard for us to count this as we attend tastings when the mood hits and buy then and since I have cut down on entertaining I have a stockpile of booze that would make an after hours club envious.

Regarding food, typically we spend about $150-200 a week depending. That does not count dog/cat food, cleaning supplies etc. I also do not eat lunch out at work so the high cost on the front end is mitigated by next to zero on work lunches.

This is for two people, myself and spouse. When we throw a party I will typically, for the party alone, spend at least $100 in food with about $100 at least in booze. We live in Cincinnati Ohio.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Zippylip very true but I hate vegetables the only way I will consume them is juiced so I can just pound them down 

todays AM drink spinach dates lemon juice and water and ice 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Zippylip
    Options
    McStew said:
    @Zippylip very true but I hate vegetables the only way I will consume them is juiced so I can just pound them down 

todays AM drink spinach dates lemon juice and water and ice 
    yea I get it, in the end given the choice of juicing them or not getting them all you're certainly doing the right thing...

what kind of juicer do you use by the way, I did a bunch of research on them recently & found the differences between varieties pretty interesting.  Ended up passing on it because I actually like eating veggies but still they seem like great additions to the kitchen.  I was leaning toward the omega horizontal low speed masticating one
    happy in the hut
  • blockmaster
    Options
    My wife and I grocery shop twice a week at Central Market here in Dallas.

Sunday night we buy $70 worth and that will last all three meals each day through Friday's lunch. 

Friday after work we buy $150 of groceries/booze for the weekend.

Total for each month is approximately $1k.
    Dallas, TX - 1 Large BGE, 28in Blackstone
    Instagram - @jetcooks
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @Zippylip I found that I actually enjoy them at times certain vegetables I still like to cook on the egg.  We have burnt up many of over the years and found the best to be Breville Fountain Elite Model #800JEXL.  You could always get an industrial model that will out perform the Breville but they are very hard to clean... FYI any juicer is hard to clean daily 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Zippylip
    Options
    McStew said:
    @Zippylip I found that I actually enjoy them at times certain vegetables I still like to cook on the egg.  We have burnt up many of over the years and found the best to be Breville Fountain Elite Model #800JEXL.  You could always get an industrial model that will out perform the Breville but they are very hard to clean... FYI any juicer is hard to clean daily 

The Breville was highly rated from what i recall, they generally make nice stuff (I've had their panini press for years, built like a tank).  I read a lot about these centrifugal juicers vs. the masticating ones, they work much faster & can handle much bigger pieces of fruit/veggies but apparently oxidize the juice causing it to degrade rapidly which isn't an issue if you drink the stuff right away...  while the masticating ones take forever & there's a lot of pre-cutting involved due to the tiny chute but the juice apparently stays 'good' for 3 days, important i guess if you want to juice more than you drink at any given time.  It all sounded like enough of a pain in the ass with the cleaning to turn me off to the idea.

I found this one in my travels, the Norwalk Juicer @ $2,500 hahaha, but really nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBhklE9abJ4

happy in the hut
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2016
    Options
    We're at around $700 food, $600 wine/beer/booze per month (actually that number may be a bit higher)

We always hit multiple stores to get the freshest, bestest, food and deals.  And we buy bulk of things that make sense.
    It's also more than our mortgage payment on the house and the rent at my warehouse.  Good thing they are low, eh?  Lets us eat and drink bettah.
    Options

It's also more than our mortgage payment on the house and the rent at my warehouse.  Good thing they are low, eh?  Lets us eat and drink bettah.
    actually the declarations on my taxes and interest lets me eat and drink bettah
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I had the big fancy Breville.  Love Breville stuff, but sure did hate this juicer.  Pulled it out every year, year and a half only to remember I hated the thing.  

That movie came out - Fat Sick and Nearly dead.  Everyone was sold out of juicers and I was able to sell mine 5 years after buying it for what I paid for it.  Bought a Vitamix and never looked back.  Man I hate juicers...
    Phoenix 
  • Zippylip
    Options
    blasting said:
      Bought a Vitamix and never looked back.  Man I hate juicers...
    now what do you do with that, is that basically for smoothies?  I was looking at one of them too a few years back when my old smoothie machine died, ended up cheaping out & getting a Ninja which surprisingly has held up well & I use it regularly but when it croaks I'll once again be looking to upgrade.
    happy in the hut
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    blasting said:
      Bought a Vitamix and never looked back.  Man I hate juicers...
    now what do you do with that, is that basically for smoothies?  I was looking at one of them too a few years back when my old smoothie machine died, ended up cheaping out & getting a Ninja which surprisingly has held up well & I use it regularly but when it croaks I'll once again be looking to upgrade.
    Smoothies for sure.  Also excels at sauces, dips, spreads, salsas.  For those who actually use a juicer, it probably doesn't replace it.  

Somebody who juices may live an extra couple of years, but those years are spent cleaning a juicer...

Phoenix 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Entirely depends upon whether I've gone to Jungle Jim's or not. :s
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio