Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father's Day

HelenGrace203
HelenGrace203 Posts: 43
edited June 2016 in Holiday Recipes
Whatcha cooking?   

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited June 2016
    Traditional SRF (Black) brisket -  this cook is non-negotiable.  Can't wait for the fun of the cook.  The eats are always a favorite but for me the journey is far and away the best part.
    (edit) BTW- welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Not sure let, we are try to have a bunch of people over and may just keep it simple with burgers or chicken.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Grilled shrimp and ribeye. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    As @lousubcap had mentioned, a non negotiable cook; Brisket. Mine won't nearly be as nice as the Cap's, just a Costco prime packer. However, very much like my LEO friend, it will be more about the journey, than the delicious final. Guaranteed.
    He mentored me through many a cook, and I blame him for my unhealthy fascination with the BGE. =)
    Welcome and I hope you will have as much fun as I have with the lifestyle of the BGE.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited June 2016
    Packer brisket for my pops. Oh yeah! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Tomahawk ribeye and lobster tail.....
  • lousubcap
    @YukonRon -  Gotta admit that I look for the windows of opportunity to run with SRF and I have a few.  No blow-back from SWMBO so I'm all good with that.  Don't want to cross the invisible line.
    That said, I have had Costco briskets turn out every bit as good as SRF (and you may have as well).  Given the variables of the cook (and the adult beverage consumption) my outcomes are nowhere as consistent as I would like but with every journey I seem to lift the floor and that's a good thing.  
    BTW-you are too kind with the mentoring bit- we have worked thru some dark and stormy cooks but no doubt the beverages saved us from total disaster.  Enjoy your journey and camaraderie of the day.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Not a thing.  It's the women's job to cook on Father's Day.  
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I did my cook Friday as my dad was heading out of town.  Post below

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1195985/fathers-day-cook-for-my-dad#latest
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • After about a month, I'm ALMOST ready for a brisket, but afraid, very afraid -- LOL.  I'm thinking lowly (albeit delicious) pulled pork sandwiches.   Its distressing, I am a good cook in the kitchen.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    After about a month, I'm ALMOST ready for a brisket, but afraid, very afraid -- LOL.  I'm thinking lowly (albeit delicious) pulled pork sandwiches.   Its distressing, I am a good cook in the kitchen.  
    Nothing at all wrong with pulled pork.  Brisket can be a little intimidating especially depending on where you live.  In Texas it seems like you can get prime brisket at the gas station but in GA they are a pain to find!  

Just my $.02 but if you are looking to try something besides pork I think pulled chuckies are great and they are forgiving. 

This recipe is always a slam dunk:
    http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    Regarding briskets, here's a link to a recent thread that covers about all you need to know and more regarding brisket cooks.  Definitely runs the course-may give you inspiration.  
    Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....  
  • HelenGrace203
    HelenGrace203 Posts: 43
    edited June 2016
    SmokeyPitt -- recipe bookmarked for later, looks amazing.  

Lou, I've read thru this, still have to try in a less important dinner in case I mess up!

Can't find a prime brisket in Annapolis, MD.  Or even a full brisket.  I think they all go to TX.