Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Best Japanese So Far

CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
This turned out particularly well tonight.

For the yakitori, instead of the method from The Japanese Grill, I cut the chicken into small cubes and packed tightly on the skewer. I also waited until the last minute to add the sauce, but did about four bastes 30 seconds apart. 

For the yaki onigiri, I mixed in diced scallions and sesame seeds, plus sansyo and shichmi togarashi. 

Also so did sweet bulb scallions and squash. 

Very pleased woth both. 

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Wow, looks mighty tasty!  Thanks for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • That looks great Mark. I have been doing a ton of Yakitori and Japanese grilling in general lately. It's become our favorite. I do love the Japanese Grill book. Never made anything from it that was not a home run
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smbishop
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • CPARKTX
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker, great book and similar results. I do like this method of putting the chicken on the skewer better than the method on the book. What are your favorite recipes?
  • CPARKTX
    @smbishop you won't regret it
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That looks like and incredible meal with really nice grill execution.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nicely done , sir!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Great looking cook.  I'll have to get that book too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• smbishop
    CPARKTX said:
    @smbishop you won't regret it

Ordered, and also ordered some Yuzu Kosho :)
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Thank you so much for sharing pictures and details!  Everything looks yummy!  This thread caught my eye, because I'm half Japanese.  :)

I do have a question! 
    CPARKTX said:
    For the yaki onigiri, I mixed in diced scallions and sesame seeds, plus sansyo and shichmi togarashi. 
    I've never had grilled onigiri -- I'll have to ask Mom about it.  BUT my question for YOU has to do with the sansyo.  We have a "big" Asian grocery store in OKC, and I found sansyo near the togarashi, so I bought a bottle.  Now I don't know how to use it.  I looked online and didn't find much (any!) information.  How do you use it? 

And I see you're in Central Texas.  Have you been to 99 Ranch Market?  A good friend and I took our girls to Dallas for the Hatsune Miku concert last month, and stopped in Carrollton to visit Daiso.  99 Ranch Market was in the same shopping center.  !!!  It's like our store in OKC, but better organized, shinier, and fancier!  I'm trying to convince my husband to take a day off of work so we can take my folks sometime this summer. 

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    mrs_story said:
    Thank you so much for sharing pictures and details!  Everything looks yummy!  This thread caught my eye, because I'm half Japanese. 
    If you were 100% Japanese would it have caught both eyes? Sorry. Couldn't help it :)

Cook looks great and very interesting. May have to expand my culinary horizons a bit. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • CPARKTX
    @mrs_story I got the Sansyo at a local Asian market.  Ive used it on a couple of recipes, and regularly for the onigiri. It is just a dry powder, I sprinkle on a few dashes. Great flavor. 

Ive not gone to 99 Ranch Market, Ibut  go to Carrollton and will need to check it out, thanks. 

• mrs_story
    That's the same kind I have!   ;)   Do you mix it into the rice, or just on the outside?

I think you'll enjoy 99 Ranch Market!  I wish we had one in the OKC area (although, the store we have is pretty big for us, and I'm glad for that!). 
  • smbishop

And I see you're in Central Texas.  Have you been to 99 Ranch Market?  A good friend and I took our girls to Dallas for the Hatsune Miku concert last month, and stopped in Carrollton to visit Daiso.  99 Ranch Market was in the same shopping center. 

I am not very far from Carrollton, thank you for sharing.  I will be checking out these two stores soon!
  • CPARKTX
    @mrs_story usually I sprinkle on the top, but this time I mixed the spices,along with diced scallions and sesame seeds, into the rice before forming the balls, and I liked that method better. 
  • CPARKTX said:
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker, great book and similar results. I do like this method of putting the chicken on the skewer better than the method on the book. What are your favorite recipes?
    Ginger garlic half chicken is amazing and easy. Miso glazed pork chop is to die for. The porterhouse and all the Yakitori stuff. . I've probably made 7-8 things out of that book. The only reason we haven't made more is those have been so good we just want to eat them again. This is the ginger garlic half chicken from a few night ago. Janell did the veggies inside with the same marinade. That was really good. Shiitake and asparagus. 2 whole chickens destroyed by 5 people. 

• mrs_story
    gmac said:
    mrs_story said:
    Thank you so much for sharing pictures and details!  Everything looks yummy!  This thread caught my eye, because I'm half Japanese. 
    If you were 100% Japanese would it have caught both eyes? Sorry. Couldn't help it :)
    Maybe!  =)  

I'm pretty easygoing and can joke about being half & half.  I can make fun of either side (and myself)!
  • smbishop
    Amazing!  Ordered some of the other ingredients mentioned in this post as well.  Book arrives Monday.  Can't wait!
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    mrs_story said:
    gmac said:
    mrs_story said:
    Maybe!  =)  

I'm pretty easygoing and can joke about being half & half.  I can make fun of either side (and myself)!
    Good. Because I really meant it in jest. If the thread was about Sheep it would have caught my eyes, both of them, being from a Scottish background. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Now I've found something else I must have, ordering book now...

Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Is it within forum rules to share the recipe for that Chicken?  It looks amazing, I'd love to cook it. 

What Japanese cooking book are you all referencing?
    Chicago, Illinois
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Impressive cook and presentation as usual!
    canuckland
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Wow!  I had to look up yaki onigiri.  And I'm now embarrassed that I never knew grilled rice balls existed!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Killer cook! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Impressive cook and presentation as usual!
    What he said!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KKorkmaz said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Is it within forum rules to share the recipe for that Chicken?  It looks amazing, I'd love to cook it. 

What Japanese cooking book are you all referencing?

• I'll post the recipe later. I adapted it for the egg but the ingredients are the same. 
  • Buy that book. Highly recommended. 
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Thank you kind sir!
    Chicago, Illinois
  • click the image link below the book picture. The recipe is there. I wasn't going to post it directly from the book. Thought I deleted the pic but it's still there. I did adapt the cook for the bge. Cooked raised indirect at 400. As you can see, there is some sugar in the rub so I wouldn't go much higher than 400 or you will get some burnt bits like my pic above. I was cooking on 2 levels these were on the top. Little hotter up there so got crispy on the tops. It was still great though. you can just do a spatchcock whole chicken if you want. I go back and forth.