Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Singed hair

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
We had company over for steaks...sorry no pics... I've posted a few steaks before. I made my parmesan crusted garlic steak butter to place on top of the steaks. I had the egg up to 600 degrees when I put them on. Flipped at 4 minutes and place the butter packets on the steak, closed the lid and let go another 4minutes. When I went to take them off, I burped the egg slowly and then opened the lid. The butter dripping on the coals caused an inferno. Dome temp was only 560ish but I think opening it up and all that extra oxygen just really set it off. Well, no hair on my tong hand knuckles, but this is what I noticed in the mirror later on in the evening.

Somehow the heat of the fire singed the hair on my head, been egging for four years never had this happen before :-)
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Been there, done that - your initiation is now complete, welcome to the brotherhood....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Got my eyebrows and eyelashes a few months ago.  Guess a guy shouldn't stick his face over the dome opening to check on a pizza cooking at 600 degrees.  Idiot!!  Ha.
    XL BGE
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I do not have this problem...  :smiley:. Glad to know you're okay. 

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Still have feeling in your hands?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I'm glad I've never done that.....!!!

I love the parmesan crusted garlic steak butter....I can't hardly fix a steak and eat it at home now without it. Do you put pecans in yours ??

Sorry about the hair....I wouldn't singe hair as much as skin (on my head)...not much left up there anymore !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Been there done that. Was baking pretzels at only 450 and opened lid...bam! Singed hair on my head, lucky it was not bad. I was shocked as it was only 450 but now super careful.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Congratulations--You have been officially baptized by fire and indoctrinated as an egghead. Welcome!!!
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Hans61
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Still have feeling in your hands?
    Yeah, back of my hand was stingy yesterday- fine now!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

dldawes1 said:
    I'm glad I've never done that.....!!!

I love the parmesan crusted garlic steak butter....I can't hardly fix a steak and eat it at home now without it. Do you put pecans in yours ??

Sorry about the hair....I wouldn't singe hair as much as skin (on my head)...not much left up there anymore !!
    Never tried pecans - I do a quarter cup of crispy panko per stick of butter
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    you can put the butter on the steak as it is resting.  will melt, and won't flare up or cause fatty smoke when it drips off.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Hans61
    Options
    you can put the butter on the steak as it is resting.  will melt, and won't flare up or cause fatty smoke when it drips off.

Will probably do that way next time!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    I've never had that problem either.... Proud member of the bald club. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Hans61 ...and I've never tried Panko in the finishing butter !!!1

I agree with 
    Darby_Crenshaw ....use as a finishing butter, while resting.

OOOps, looking back through my pics, I used Blue Cheese instead of Parmesan last time.

Butter, lemon juice, Blue Cheese, and nuts.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Hans61
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Hans61 ...and I've never tried Panko in the finishing butter !!!1

I agree with Darby_Crenshaw ....use as a finishing butter, while resting.

OOOps, looking back through my pics, I used Blue Cheese instead of Parmesan last time.

Butter, lemon juice, Blue Cheese, and nuts.

That sounds great! I probably should broaden my compound butter  repertoire 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    No butter flare, but I forgot to burp my Egg on a 500 degree sear when I was putting the meat on. Lost the hair on my left arm and most of my left eyebrow.

I now even burp my gasser after that incident.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I have been known to burp my eggs stone cold with no fire inside after I burnt my nostril hair out for the second or third time. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I did a post a couple years ago about forgetting to burp the egg when over 400.  I singed my eyebrows and some of my hear that I have on my head.  Luckily I was wearing a long sleeve tee shirt.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hans61
    Options
    @Ladeback69 that for sure saved your arm from a smelly singe!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,044
    Options
    Welcome to the club and the steaks sound awesome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Welcome to the club and the steaks sound awesome!
    Just picture in your mind what would happen if this guy forgot to burp his egg. You'd see the flames for miles. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,593
    Options
    Glad it wasn't more serious..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Hans61
    Options
    Glad it wasn't more serious..
    Thanks man!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    @WeberWho lmao!!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,044
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    @WeberWho lmao!!
    @Hans61

I saw your other post about smackdown. I thought you might appreciate a Mick Foley thumbs up pic for your cook.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hans61
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Hans61 said:
    @WeberWho lmao!!
    @Hans61

I saw your other post about smackdown. I thought you might appreciate a Mick Foley thumbs up pic for your cook.  
    WeberWho said:
    Hans61 said:
    @WeberWho lmao!!
    @Hans61

So thoughtful!!! Haha
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf