Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

Options

Comments

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    The chupacabra cannot give away all the secretes.  To learn one must suffer the trials of the journey

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Regarding brisket cook timing, the cook I did for this thread timed out at around 0.75 hrs/lb on a calibrated dome thermo running around 250-280*F for the duration.  For the past 4-5 brisket cooks I have seen that same cook rate in that temp range.  I plan for 1 hr/lb but the cow has been throwing curve balls of late.  
    I'm sure the day I plan for the 0.75 hrs/lb I will get hosed up big time.  The fun of brisket cooks...  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Texag06ish
    Texag06ish Posts: 135
    Options
    @Texag06ish are all the data point questions coming from a software program. I've been keeping my info in a spiral notebook. Looks like there may be a better way?
    No. I just copied someone's post and entered my info. Sorry man!
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Boy, some great looking eats came out yesterday
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Another one here.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited May 2016
    Options

Ok, let's see if this works.  I few notes- I trimmed way too much fat off- I cut into the vee shape between point and flat and should have just stuck to the edge.  The flat was a little dry or better put, not as moist as what I am used to.  Nice smoke ring, the point was probably the best I ever made.  Thanks to all or participated- and hey, the credit really goes to everyone here.  all I did was post an idea that guys seemed to like and want to participate in.  I had no idea it was national brisket day the other day and that's cool.  My notes are below as well as some picts.  Too many adult beverages caused my setup photos of the brisket on the egg to not turn out- my finger was over the camera lens.  The only outside one I got was the guru reading 242-

A funny story here- the temp I like to cook these at is 210-220.  And prior to putting mine on, the temp would not go below 242.  upon closer examination, I saw a gap between lid and base on the Large and I thought, oh, &%)$#!! I need to realign the spring bands (after the rutland install).  Well, as it turned out, as I am getting the tools out, getting ready to adjust, I was pretty close to the egg and felt something really hot poking my side.  it was the crossbar on the adj rig setup sticking out between the lid and base, which caused the air gap. Stupid me.  A pair of tongs got it back in place, and the lid sealed up perfectly after that.  The sliced point shots show slices parallel to the grain and I fixed that right away and wanted to get some shots of it properly sliced but my guests ate this thing down like it was their last meal.  So, all I could get was a pict of my sandwhich with some slaw and it next to a corona!

Thanks to all who participated and I hope everyone here or any visitor here learned something about brisket making on the BGE!  And thanks to Shane at SNF for the generous contribution to a lucky participant- to be revealed toward the end of this week!

• westernbbq
    Options
    Same time next year Gentlemen?  How about an annual brisket cook on Mem Day!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If I'm still on the planet i'm in...again full-marks for the inspiration.
    Lowly pork butt today-seems like a real downer after the brisket fun.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @lousubcap- not at all brothaman (a downer that is) shoulder on and when your time is right, brisket on!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Same thing next year? Sure, why not?
    I am in.
    i will be making vegetable beef soup with the leftovers from this brisket cook, there was not much.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Thought this might make is easier to post, read and compare

Size Egg      Large                                                                                          

Charcoal      Rockwoo                        Wood        Oak                            

Store            Costco                           Grade        Prime                           

Weight          14 pounds                     Price         $2.89 lb.                             

Temp            240-250                                                                                        

Rub           CenTex suggested rub      Injected with     None                

Trimming instructions        Removed about 2 pounds of fat                                                            

Time you put it on      9 p.m.     Time you took it off    8 a.m.    

Fat cap  Up    Yes      Down      No                                                              

Foiled at what time      No wrap        Foiled at what temp    NA   

FTC?            Yes                                How long FTC        4 hours                     

Drip pan?      Yes                              Added to drip pan   Nothing      

Special notes 

Pics to follow. This was my first-ever brisket and I wanted to keep it simple. No controller, but held steady around 240 the first several hours and I nudged it up just a tad before I went to bed to around 250. Set alarms on my Maverick at 230 and 270 and if it moved up or down much it never tripped the alarm.

Thanks Trout for setting up this form.

Stillwater, MN
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options

Size Egg         Large                                                                                      

Charcoal         Rockwood                    Wood           Oak                        

Store              Costco                         Grade           Prime                       

Weight            14 pounds                   Price              $2.89 lb.                       

Temp              240-250 degrees                                                                                     

Rub            CenTex suggested rub      Injected with        Nothing            

Trimming instructions       Removed about two pounds of fat                                                            

Time you put it on       9 p.m.           Time you took it off       8 a.m.

Foiled at what time       No foil         Foiled at what temp      NA

FTC?               Yes                             How long FTC             4 hours               

Drip pan?        Yes                             Added to drip pan      Nothing   

Special notes        This was my first brisket and kept it simple. Pics to follow.                                     

Stillwater, MN
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Thanks for looking ! I hope everyone had a great weekend and a super Brisket cook :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    225* - 235* Dome Temp.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options

Couldn't be happier about how my first brisket turned out. I had done a lot of reading in advance and ended up following CenTex's blueprint pretty close, including his suggested rub. Trimmed about two pounds of fat, could have probably even taken a little more. No controller, but BGE held temp like a champ between 240-250 for the most part. Kept everything as simple as possible. Poor placement of the probe was my only real issue, but I pretty much knew that was the case because of how quickly the IT was rising the previous night. My Maverick alarm went off about 4 a.m., so I moved the probe and went back to bed. FTC'd for four hours and thought it turned out great, but couldn't even try the pull test because it broke apart when trying to pick up a full slice. Not sure the lesson to take from that. Thanks to everyone whose sharing contributed to my first brisket. I was admittedly a little nervous going in.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Size egg      Large
    Charcoal     Royal Oak       Wood       Cherry
    Store           Costco.           Grade.      Prime
    Weight.        16.78.             Price.        3.15
    Temp.         225-260
    Rub.          Meathead Big Bad Beef Rub.      Inject.   No
    Trimming.   Removed about a pound of fat
    Time on.     5:15 pm Sunday.    Time off.    6:15 am Monday
    Fat cap up
    FTC.            Yes- 5 hours
    Drip pan used- empty

Notes:  First time I have filled to top of fire ring with lump.  Had an issue getting temp down at beginning.  Dome showed 250, but when I hooked up the Maverick I had over 350 at grill level.   Anyway, took 3 hours to get temp down, but held well over night.

1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    CheeseheadinAZ Posts: 315
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @westernbbq I love holiday cooking. And brisket is my favorite cook of all.  What part of Az do you live in?  I'm South Gilbert. 
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Options
    Here we go - longtime lurker but seldom post because there is so much talent it is tough not to feel very intimidated.

Anyway, this was a last-minute Costco prime brisket the wife picked up before we headed to the lake cabin in northern Minnesota for the long weekend.  It was 13.79 lbs prior to trimming.  

Trimmed then rubbed with Lowry's season salt and pepper the night before (The goal was a 50/50 mix but I was into the cocktails after a 5 plus hour car ride with three kids age 7 and under.)  

On the large egg at 6:45 a.m. Saturday and finished up at 2:10 pm followed by a 4.5 hour rest in foil/towels in a cooler.  Used a drip pan, placed fat cap up at grate temp of 245, which fluctuated up to about 290 (new egg for the cabin and the vent settlings are a bit different from what I am used to from my large at home; plus, I really just set this and forgot about it until the Therma Q timer went off for the meat probe at 205 degrees).  Rockwood for the fuel with no added smoke.  Turned out really well - good moisture and very tender.  

The posting of pictures is throwing me off so I hope I didn't submit this post multiple times and I am sure the pics are out of the order intended.  Anyway, thanks for looking and bottom's up.  

Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

Here's my Brisket cook from last night:

Size Egg: XL                                                                            

Charcoal: Grove                       

Wood: 3 small chunks of Peach                                  

Store: Costco

Grade: Prime

Weight: 13.2 lbs.           

Price: $2.89                

Temp: 250º grid, 275º dome                                                                           

Rub: Clyde Coopers

Injected: No

Trimming instructions: trimmed a few large chucks                                                              

Time you put it on: 12:03am  

Time you took it off: 12:11pm

Fat cap: Down                                                                                       

Drip pan:    Yes                               

Added to drip pan: Foil only         

Special notes: 13 lb brisket cooked for 12 hours @ 250º (at the grid) until internal temps reached 195º.  Used my DigiQ2 and never opened the lid once until I pulled it off.  Let it sit on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes and then foiled for about 3.5 hours in a cooler packed with towels until time to eat.

Turned out great!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

Here's the data:
    Size Egg: LBGE  Charcoal: Rockwood:  Wood:  Weber Apple chunks
    Store:  Central Market trimmed  Grade: ? 
    Weight: (post-trim) 7.2 lbs  Price: $4.99/lb
    Temp: between 240-270*F Grate monitored with CyberQ  Raised temp after the stall.
    Rub: homemade S&P with garlic and onion granules
    Injected with:   N/A
    Trimming –N/A
    Time you put it on:  0700 (CDT) Time you took it off:  17:00 (CDT):  10 hours
    Fap:  Down
    Butcher paper at what temp  165, 4 5  hours total
    FTC?   NO    How long FTC – rested 30 minutes on the counter
    Drip pan: air-gapped empty   Added to drip pan  N/A
    Special notes- cook time again around 1.25 hrs/lb. Rested for about 30 mins, sliced at 160.

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Some great looking briskets captured within this thread.  Congrats to all who participated and to those who have yet to document their cooks.  About the most fun you can have with a BGE cook.   Most eggcellent across the board-
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Wow.  Great briskets.  This is the power of this site.  I'm in awe.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thegooddocta
    thegooddocta Posts: 264
    edited May 2016
    Options

Size Egg          Large

Charcoal         Fogo

Wood              Apple Chunks

Store               Local Farm

Grade              Prime                       

Weight            7 pounds

Price              ~$6.00 lb.                       

Temp              205-275 degrees                                                                                     

Rub                 Salt, Pepper, Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express

Injected with   Nothing            

Trimming instructions       Trimmed to rectangular shape; also trimmed some fat from cap             

Time you put it on       6 a.m.           Time you took it off       12:30 p.m.

Foiled at what time       11:30AM      Foiled at what temp      172*

FTC?               Yes                             How long FTC             5 hours               

Drip pan?        Yes                             Added to drip pan      Water, Apple Cider Vinegar

Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    A big thanks to @westernbbq for pulling this together, was a lot of fun.  Sure was some great (drooling) looking briskets done out there.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    Brisket #1 was a 13.4 choice from SAMs Club @ $2.39 lb. LBGE 250* with BGE lump, hickory and peach for smoke.  Mickey's Coffee rub.  On at 8pm Friday, foiled at 3am.  FTC @ 6 am @ 175*. Sat in cooler until 1:30 pm.  No spraying, no drip pans, 

Brisket #2 was a 14.4 choice.  The only differences were #2 was rubbed with salt&pepper.  This one was 185-190 when FTC'ed. 

FTC time was spent helping some of Wyoming's best Cowboys and cowgirls brand nearly 400 calves.  

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Kudos to all you amazing cooks!!  Amazing damned briskets!  All in deference to the brave boys that didn't come home, so we could cook in their honor! 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options

Size Egg: L                                                                          

Charcoal: Rockwood                  

Wood: cherry                         

Store: Costco

Grade: Prime

Weight: 15.5 

Price: $2.89                

Temp: 250º - 270°                                                                       

Rub: mustard, salt, pepper

Injected: a little beef broth

Trimming instructions: maybe too much. I felt like I got carried away.                                                         

Time you put it on: 4:50am

Time you took it off: 10:30am (wtf moment)

Fat cap: up                                                                       

Drip pan:    Yes                               

Added to drip pan: had some rosemary laying around. Why not. 

When it got to 197° that early in the morning I was all hot and bothered. Didn't know what was going on. Kept it in the cooler till 6pm...figured I had nothing to lose. All things considered it turned out great. 

Now I can't post pics dammit all. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This is my entry, I am not sure if I have all the photos and info covered, but this brisket cook and more was parlayed in to a family party.  My sister and BIL was in town for a visit so I invited some family members that could make it on both sides to come over for a get together.  It was a lot fun and all worth it.  It started by picking up 14 lb Choice brisket at Bricklemeyer Meats Kansas City, KS.  This is great meat market and I have paid less for a choice  brisket, but it looked as good a Prime one the same size there so I went for it.

I lit my XL around 11:20 after my wife I got home from celebrating our 10 wedding anniversary.  I then started trimming 2 lbs of hard fat from the brisket.  I then rubbed it with yellow mustard, John Henry's Mojave Garlic Pepper, Cherry Rub and The Salt Lick Garlic Dry Rub. I used Rockwood for fuel; Cherry and Pecan wood for smoke.  When my egg was at 230 I put it on at 12:45 or so.  I finally got to be around 2:00 am.

At 7:15 am I noticed that the temp had dropped to 180 so I got up and opened up both vents a little to get it back up to over 225.  My wife and I had just had new carpet installed so we were still putting the house back together so I was also busy with it and mowing the yard.  Brisket was not the only thing I cooked. I also cooked two slabs of spare ribs and two parted out chickens. I put on my raised grid and put the ribs on over the top of the brisket at 12:30.  At 2:30 I warped them in foil with sneeze butter, brown sugar, honey and a little apple juice.

I checked the brisket and it wasn't probing like butter so I let it go another hour.  When I went to put the ribs back on to firm up the brisket was probing nice and I pulled it to rest so I could make burnt ends.  I had it fat side down and it stuck to grate in one spot and a piece of the flat came off.  I put the ribs back on and the brunt ends at 3:30 or so.  At 4:00 I glazed the ribs and stirred the burnt ends.  At 4:30 I pulled them both.  I then put on the two parted chickens.  I brined the chicken for a little over 24 hours from Friday to Saturday and air dried them in the fridge for another 24 hours before rubbing with EVOO and Fast Eddies BBQ rub.  I cooked the chicken for 45 minutes then got the egg up to 350 to finish it off.

It was not time to cut the ribs and the brisket flat.  I have been helping out my BIL's brother do some competition BBQ contest so to speed things up I had him cut the flat and I cut the ribs.  He also helped with the photos.   Here is the party and the rest of the spread.

My plate.  Thanks for looking and thank you @westernbbq for putting this together.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Well here's ours. A very easy cook that turned out delicious.

Camp Chef Smoke Vault
    Wood: Texas Post Oak
    Store: Snake River Farms
    Grade: Black Label
    Weight: 12.15 lbs.
    Price: 8.51 per pound
    Temp: 275
    Rub: Salt and pepper
    Injected: No
    Trimming: hard fat only, nothing else needed to be trimmed
    Time put on: 8:00 a.m.
    Time took off: 1:50 p.m.
    Fat cap up
    Did not wrap
    FTC: 4 hours

Special notes: Never hit a stall. Did not need to wrap. Was not planning to FTC, but had to since it cooked so quickly. Fantastic flavor and moisture.

Amazed at how little shrinkage and how fast it cooked. It was jiggle city in no time at all.

Thanks @westernbbq for organizing this. Hope it helps someone take the plunge and join the brisket cook arena.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC