Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend Brisket Cook: Who's with me? Rules are simple....

Options

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Some people just have no business "teaching" others!!!!!!!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Getting closer....... My life is mine at 1700 eastern daylight time.
    R&R will commence forthwith, no quarter will be requested or given.
    Prisoner population will equal zero.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I haven't seen it mentioned (that doesn't mean anything though), but tomorrow is National Brisket Day, good timing @westernbbq
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Trimmed the brisket last night and cleaned the egg.  Realized how dull my knives are cutting the fat.  Two questions:
    1. Fat cap up or down (have seen both ways)?
    2. Include drip pan with some water/apple juice in it?

Thanks
    Fat down, no liquid in the drip pan.
    NOLA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Considering how many briskets will be cooked this weekend, I thought I'd post some pro tips on slicing a brisket.  ;)

https://youtu.be/DpjHCRF8rAo
    This one is my go to...good luck guys!!   ;)

https://youtu.be/hGAP1DG_Vs8

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I've never seen a "12-step" slicing plan before...
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm in with my first brisket attempt!!  Picked up a 15 lb choice packer today.  Will fill out the spread sheet when i get going.

going to follow this "Brisket on the Big Green Egg: Franklin BBQ method" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGsZkoa-lIE

will post details and results
    My Dad and I are from Texas and are big fans of barbecue long before Aaron Franklin came around but we are big fans of his method, and I have read his book.  

My Dad saw this video last year, and wanted cook a brisket using this method. I want to offer one huge caution on this video. The video shows using 50% oak wood and 50% lump charcoal. I didn't think the cook would work out that well using that much wood and I was right. We chased temps all night long on the cook from below 200° to up to 400°. The wood would catch fire, flare up, get hot, and the cycle of messing with the vents went on the whole cook. 

I am a seasoned egg cooker and normally without any trouble can keep the temp rocksteady at 250° without messing with the vents, and without any fan devices. I will be cooking a brisket Saturday using Franklin's method adapted for the egg, which to me means 80% or 90% lump and some oak chunks added. If you want to do a 100% Franklin cook with oak wood you need to use an offset cooker. 
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    logchief said:
    I haven't seen it mentioned (that doesn't mean anything though), but tomorrow is National Brisket Day, good timing @westernbbq
    Yup, it is.  If anyone is interested in getting SRF briskets at a discount for future use, might be a good day to keep an eye on your email......
  • MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ibanda said:
    I'm in with my first brisket attempt!!  Picked up a 15 lb choice packer today.  Will fill out the spread sheet when i get going.

going to follow this "Brisket on the Big Green Egg: Franklin BBQ method" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGsZkoa-lIE

will post details and results
    My Dad and I are from Texas and are big fans of barbecue long before Aaron Franklin came around but we are big fans of his method, and I have read his book.  

My Dad saw this video last year, and wanted cook a brisket using this method. I want to offer one huge caution on this video. The video shows using 50% oak wood and 50% lump charcoal. I didn't think the cook would work out that well using that much wood and I was right. We chased temps all night long on the cook from below 200° to up to 400°. The wood would catch fire, flare up, get hot, and the cycle of messing with the vents went on the whole cook. 

I am a seasoned egg cooker and normally without any trouble can keep the temp rocksteady at 250° without messing with the vents, and without any fan devices. I will be cooking a brisket Saturday using Franklin's method adapted for the egg, which to me means 80% or 90% lump and some oak chunks added. If you want to do a 100% Franklin cook with oak wood you need to use an offset cooker. 
    Thanks @ibanda - saved me from a mistake.

buzd504 said:
    Trimmed the brisket last night and cleaned the egg.  Realized how dull my knives are cutting the fat.  Two questions:
    1. Fat cap up or down (have seen both ways)?
    2. Include drip pan with some water/apple juice in it?

Thanks
    Fat down, no liquid in the drip pan.
    And thanks @buzd504.  Will do go fat down and no liquid.

Looking forward to getting started tonight!!
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    logchief said:
    i had no idea that it was national brisket day.  must be the full moon....
  • logchief
    Options
    Is anyone doing a roster for this or just a free for all.  I've only done a very few briskets before, never injected or wrapped so I think I'll try it this time for grins.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Since I got 0 comments on my Canadian long weekend cook, and since @westernbbq said it could be entered, I am gonna throw it in here to see if I can get some love and maybe win a brisket :) plus I took a lot of pictures...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1195259/victoria-day-point-cook#latest
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @logchief
    l am pretty sure all who participate in this project will follow trouts sheet and post a few picks.  Then Shane from snake river farms will put all the names of those who have posted their project here by June 1 and then select a winner of the prime packer

A few suggested a new thread but it seems like this thing grew a little bigger than i estimated and i dont kmow how you notify the ones who committed early on.

But i will use the trout sheet to fill in what i did in the process amd post 5-6 picts on the same post as the trout sheet.    

Brisket ON!
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Can't swing it this year. At the beach and hope to be home Monday in time to do an SRF ribeye cap steak in honor of the holiday. Will be watching and salivating as all y'all try to appease the Brisket Gods. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing

Have an awesome time at the beach and have a few extra cold beers for the rest of us!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

Just got Costco's last one. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • logchief
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Just got Costco's last one. 
    Why the f&^k won't Costco carry packers in CA.  Must have something to do with our Jerry Brown bullet train and too many libs.  Nice catch there, should be quite tasty.

I know the answer, but still whine.  Always got a ton of prime tri tip and rib eye caps.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I would give my left nut to get whole brisket for under $80. And they wouldn't be prime. Thank God I have health care. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Duly motivated to audible a butt cook for a brisket cook.  Road trip to the local Costco to see if I can grab one Sat late AM.  BTW -  I am approaching low earth orbit (LEO) now so there is no chance of a Friday night road trip.  Game on!!??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I was unsure of my weekend schedule until today. I'm IN! Was saving this big slab for a special occasion. I think National Brisket Day qualifies. I've never had one this big. It's all trimmed up and ready for rub. It started just over 20# and I think it may be down to about 16# now.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Options
    Locked and loaded... Royal Oak lump with hickory and white oak wood...(handful of Apple wood chips too since I'm doing a pork butt too)
    added some chopped whole onion and garlic to smolder with the wood

11.5 pound packer.. Injected with Beef Stock, onion powder.. And a little beef marinade I made 

seasoned with Mostly Salt&Pepper.. Added some onion powder and mccormicks steak seasoning 

going to to go on the smoker in about 30 minutes once we get clean blue/clear smoker... At 255... 

More to come
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Plenty of this too
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Egg is lit, waiting for smoke to get nice.

This is a 14lb SRF Gold brisket. I trimmed off 1lb 12oz. I could have taken a bit more off the top side, but it was nice, soft, subtle fat, so I left it.

That's a really pretty flat

I'm consuming a few beverages before I rub it down and put it on, not quite time yet.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Man I gotta go SRF next time lol these hunks of beef are beautiful you guys are posting 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • thegooddocta
    thegooddocta Posts: 264
    Options
    I'll post mine. I have a brisket going on for dinner Sunday. I'll include a detailed log of temps etc from my heater meter too. I'm going to crutch this one - just a heads up - too much riding on it!
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

Egg is chugging at 275
    Trimmed and salt and peppered. 
    Elevated drip pan
    No water
    Oak chucks mixed with the Rockwood
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • westernbbq
    Options
    My egg isnt lit yet but i sure am!  Ooohheee i love beer!   Lighting the fire after about three more beers.    Looking forward to seeing everyones results

Here is to a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend.  The bbq season officially kicks off for the regular people but we eggers bbq year round.

I do want to express my sincerest appreciation for those who lost their lives defending freedom.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have a 14 pound choice packer that I will be putting on tomorrow for a family get together on Sunday.  I compared it to a 14 pound prime brisket and couldn't see any difference and I have had good luck with choice in the past.  I just hope it is enough for 18-20 people, I am also cooking a couple chickens as well.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    2 briskest on. 13.4 and 14.4 pounds.  Both choice. One with mickeys coffee rub, one with S&P.  Cooking for a cattle branding. Pictures to follow. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    When you guys wrap your brisket to hold it and let it rest... Do you let it get to a certain temp first? So as to not over cook when wrapping? I know it keeps cooking if you wrap it in foil and towels etc... Interested in you guys' method
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va