Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide burgers

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Had to try after all the discussion. Had a few frozen I had ground..  133 for 3 hrs and seared in bacon grease. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    They look great! 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice looking  burger - with a side of pasta no less. MC at Home uses a deep fried sous vide burger which comes out great, but as I'm not into pasta salad with burgers, I need the fryer for the French fries. Your technique of frying in bacon grease sound like a good solution....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Looks really good. How were they?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• henapple
    Options
    Looks really good. How were they?

They were as good as any I've done. I would go a little shorter on the sear next time. 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That looks awesome. Nice and medium all the way. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Looks good from here. How was the texture of the SV burger compared to the usual way? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    curious? why? I m in the market for a sous vide. Thanks
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • henapple
    Options
    @caliking... I noticed no difference in the texture. @texaswig... I went too long on the ci
    @MaC122... Long night? 
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i bet they were tasty! I will have to try them...

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I noticed no difference in the texture.

Just curious, did you vacuum them or just in a baggie? I noticed when I put them in vacuum sealer but it may have been the grind of the meat.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Just curious, did you vacuum them or just in a baggie? I noticed when I put them in vacuum sealer but it may have been the grind of the meat.
    His were frozen which is what you need to do if you vac seal. You can form nice airy non-compressed patties and freeze them and they will stay that way when you vac seal them and in the bath. You can also do them in a zip loc without freezing. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    Options

His were frozen which is what you need to do if you vac seal. You can form nice airy non-compressed patties and freeze them and they will stay that way when you vac seal them and in the bath. You can also do them in a zip loc without freezing. 

Vac sealed. As I seal I keep the burgers separated. 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Looks perfect to me. It doesn't get much better than that. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Going to try these soon, but I'm concerned about the vac sealing and I'm not quite sure what tecniques is being described above?

You guys are freezing them before vac sealing them? Like frozen all the way or just chilled to stay together?

I'm worried  about the vac seal compressing the burger. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    J-dubya said:
    Going to try these soon, but I'm concerned about the vac sealing and I'm not quite sure what tecniques is being described above?

You guys are freezing them before vac sealing them? Like frozen all the way or just chilled to stay together?

I'm worried  about the vac seal compressing the burger. 
    Just use a zip loc bag with all the air pushed out. If you must use a vac seal bag, freeze the burger first so it does not compress the meat and taper the edges. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice!  Looks great man!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @henapple Looks good to me Unc.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.