Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Discussion: How to keep it from tasting like roast beef.

2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    So, wait. If I were to intentionally cook a brisket the same as a pot roast, it would taste like pot roast? Does it end up tender like pot roast? Chuck (pot) roast is 5- $6 per lb. I can sometimes find a packer for half that!

And besides, I've never cooked a pot roast I didn't like. Never cooked a brisket I DID.
    depends on how you like potroast, if you simmer it stove top fully submerged it will eventually fall apart like any other cut. i dont submerge mine fully and leave half exposed to build up a crunchy crust in oven or egg, i need a big tall cut for this so a flat wouldnt work for me. i will be simmering a corned beef brisket flat this weekend til it falls apart like a pot roast this weekend though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hoss said:
    So, wait. If I were to intentionally cook a brisket the same as a pot roast, it would taste like pot roast? Does it end up tender like pot roast? Chuck (pot) roast is 5- $6 per lb. I can sometimes find a packer for half that!

And besides, I've never cooked a pot roast I didn't like. Never cooked a brisket I DID.
    You eat chopped BBQ!!   What's up Old Friend??? ;-)

OMG!!! How ARE you, Michael?! It's been forever!

Still chopping' away. =) Sometimes, anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

So, wait. If I were to intentionally cook a brisket the same as a pot roast, it would taste like pot roast? Does it end up tender like pot roast? Chuck (pot) roast is 5- $6 per lb. I can The point would find a packer for half that!

the point would shred and taste like roast and you could grind up the flat for burgers. a brisket flat would not make a good pot roast. 

you would not (nor would I)  like a brisket if it was not prepared well. not to be snarky but you probably have not been exposed to it the way we have down here. Not saying you would like it even if you had a good one but there is a sweet spot that many have probably not experienced. I may not enjoy your local delicacy  the way you do even if it were prepared in the way that is perfect for you. I don't like most of the brisket i eat so i get it. But when it's right...there is nothing better. Even here, the perfect bite of brisket is like finding a unicorn sliding down a rainbow with skittles shooting out its ass. 
    Snarky? No, "accurate" is the word. LOL, what I neglected to say (though I have mentioned it before) is that the only brisket I have ever tried was brisket that I cooked! I've never even seen it anywhere else. Tried it three times, only one was edible, and it wasn't very good. =) So I quit. 

It's okay, I eat more chicken than anything else these days anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    YEMTrey said:
    This topic came up in  a separate thread so I decided to start a proper new thread to house it.  It was stated that someone cooked a brisket and it tasted like roast beef.  I've had this happen before with one of the briskets I've smoked as well.  For us non-Texans who haven't yet had the privilege of tasting Texas brisket, how does this happen, and how do you prevent it in future?  Thanks in advance!  @SGH  @cazzy @nolaegghead @Thatgrimguy and others.
    If you are looking for more smoke flavor, mesquite might be the ticket over oak.  It is strong though.  I've only done 2 briskets on my Egg though, and neither were roast beef tasting.  

Where do you get your briskets?  Of the two I've done, one was from the butcher and was choice, the other was prime from Costco.  I made the choice for some friends and unless they were BS'ing me, said it was the best they had.  Maybe it was beginners luck, but I didn't take home any leftovers.  

Aren't you in SW Ohio?  Costco's here carry prime at only 3.29/lb, might want to give one a whirl.  Depending on the weather tonight, and with the kids at grandma's, I may throw one on.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Doing one Sunday. Will be using a large amount of salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic and onion. I will use oak to smoke it with.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky