Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I pull the trigger on a Minimax?

Options
The best wife in the world gave me cash for valentine's day.  I've been thinking about purchasing the Minimax for a while now.  So, what are your thoughts?   We will be using it in addition to our large and for tailgating/camping.

Comments

• cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    DMW said:
    Asking here is like asking Homer if he wants another beer or donut.
    Or asking a Cowboy fan if the boys are going to win the Super Bowl next year. Go ahead and get one. There I'm the first to offer "Advice." 

FTR, I don't have one, yet. I'm debating on my next cooker. It may be an Egg or something else. Something to add to my LBGE. I've thought about a XL Egg, then read about the new MM. I thought the MM was like a mini BGE, mostly grilling. I can get an Old Smokey for that. But I've seen people smoke on the MM. I think it would be ideal for chuckies and pork roasts. I await the replies. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.   I'm just wondering how well it will cook a Boston butt.
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    Just like a larger egg would. I guess the MM owners are sleeping, or passed out drunk. That happens on this forum when it gets cold up north. They will chime in at some point. I don't recall if it was a YouTube video or on the forums, someone smoked a butt roast and it turned out great. The MM has quite a cheering section on this board. I'd say second to the XL loyal folks out there. I think you'd be happy. Heck, I may be talking myself into one right now. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would not.  Since you asked for my opinion.
    I have one and it gets more use than my large.  Good for weeknight and smaller cooks.  I will say if you get one don't get the platesetter and get a woo and a pizza stone for indirect
    Hamilton, IN****1LBGE and a MiniMax
  • reload
    Options
    What didn't you like about the platesetter?
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I would not.  Since you asked for my opinion.
    Do tell why.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have the MM, I have cooked LS Butts, Pork Loins, TriTips, whole tenderloins, Ribs, swall Ribroasts. I use it as a grill for steaks, chops, burgers, sausages, seafood and vegetables. I have also done pizza on it. I have a platesetter and use it all the time with no issues.
    I have used it to cook for 3-4 people, or just 1. My Beautiful Wife got it for me for Father's Day last year, and I have used it frequently with zero issues. It is the perfect compliment toy XL, and I would absolutely recommend the purchase, if you enjoy cooking with a BGE as much as I have. It does not suck.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Have both (plus a couple of Larges). If doing it over today I would go the Mini if could only have one of the M or MM. 
    Here are my reasons:
    1 MM is heavy (I am 68 and the damn thing gets heavier each day)
    2 only two of us when traveling so the Mini is just fine in size
    3 eather is a fine  for a second around  the Large at the house 
    4 height; have a Tacoma with fiberglass lid on bed. The MM is a few inches to tall for it to close. Mini in the alum carrier works just fine. MM fine in the Van. 
    5 just before the MM had two Mini's on the porch. But the MM came out and had to have it. 
    6 they both work fine
    7 (IMO) 100% do not bother with the platesetter. Get the Woo and stone from Tom for eather the M or MM (Yes I have one but only use the stone woo combo in the MM)
    8 have a High-Que in both units ( High-Ques in all 4 Eggs). 
    9 now they have a carrier like the MM has for the Mini
    10 they both get used 80% more than the two Larges setting beside them. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggzellent
    Options
    reload said:
    What didn't you like about the platesetter?
    I'm wondering why also as there is a thread on here somewhere proving(?) that the PS combined with a 13" stone gets up to temp./does greater at least for pizza and the like. Matter of personal preference and maybe cost considerations for sure. I plan on having the above setup along with the woo/10"/(13") setup as well for more options in a cramped space whenever my dealer moves the obsoleted stock of MMs out/orders new this spring.

From what I've heard, KAB contacted CGS and nobody has heard of any issues with the recently changed fire ring/PS/woo in combination with the one-size-fits-all KAB yet I'd like to hear it confirmed here.

If you go the above route and have a budget I'd add up what you have in to it and consider the Jr. w/PS included as well for one reason only:
    I can find no side-by-side comparison of these two anywhere (especially 'detailed') in terms of exact ceramics used or proven thickness. I am leaning towards the MM due to it being shorter (which may not even be advantageous physics-wise) and heavier which in my mind says something.

I sympathize with you as it is a really tough decision for most at this price point for what you receive. I keep flip-flopping back to a lump-saver/the new Joe-Rotisserie for my XL when it comes out and calling myself blessed (again).. yet the MM siren call keeps luring me to the empty wallet rocks..

• reload
    Options
    Is $607.00 out the door a good price with the platesetter included? 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I got mine for around $550.00 which included PS, ash tool, and a bag of lump.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You should be showing us pictures instead of asking our opinion on this one. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    I have a large Egg also and bought the MM a couple of months ago. I  love the MM. I use it mostly during the week for chicken, pork chops, and steaks. Gets to temp fast and holds its easily. I'm going to pick up the WOO next.
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Just gotta ask yourself about the useage.  I just picked mine up last night.  I got one fer camping and on the boat!  Like Eggingaround, next on the list is the woo!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    For that price I would get a medium.  For tailgating and camping I would get a Weber jumbo Joe for $60.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    For that price I would get a medium.  For tailgating and camping I would get a Weber jumbo Joe for $60.  
    @THEBuckeye Because I concur with SmokeyPitt ^^^^
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I paid roughly the same with no lump but a Himalayan salt block
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • YukonRon
    Options
    1move said:
    YukonRon said:

The bag I received was a bag of small, fines and dust typical with my experience with Big Green Egg Lump. You got the better deal, by far.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I'm looking to add a portable Egg, but I just cannot justify the MM price tag.  I'm looking at a Joe Jr instead.  

I like, others, would say get a Medium for that price.  The Med is a work horse.  I don't use mine as much as I should.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    Have a L, since I got the MM the L has not been used...although I did stick it in the shed for winter so it will come back out. 
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I'm looking to add a portable Egg, but I just cannot justify the MM price tag.  I'm looking at a Joe Jr instead.  

I like, others, would say get a Medium for that price.  The Med is a work horse.  I don't use mine as much as I should.  
    Matt.....its just money!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

in 2014, the getting the MiniMax became personal to me- I would never let BGE 'work' me to the point where I'd simply continue to wait endlessly with constant estimates of delivery dates being revised.  First it was by Jan-Feb of '14, then in time for Memorial day, then hopefully 4th of July picnic grilling time, then by tailgating season for the fall. Well, in late October I got a call telling me they finally had pricing and I was fourth on the list for the first batch of MM's to be delivered to BBQ Island that they thought they'd have by Thanksgiving.  I remember the call well- I was in Seattle at the public market and gave them my credit card number when they asked if I wanted to maintain my slot in line.  Then, a few weeks later, on Wednesday, Thanksgiving eve, they called and said it was in and that I could pick it up later that day or on Friday as they'd be closed for Thanksgiving.  I raced down there and picked it
    I assembled it and made some pre thanksgiving treats on the MM.

My idea at the time was if it came in by year's end, I'd have been OK with it but if the Road Show showed up at Costco and the Joe Jr. was available at $350, then it was a done deal and I would have canceled the MM spot in line.

But, I am here to tell ya, if you got a KJ Jr, only get it on sale.  But, if you did go get a MiniMax, you'll never look back, nor will you regret it.  I've gotten more kicks out of that sucker than the two XL's and LG that I own.  It's been on the beach in Mexico, at tailgate parties, up in the mountains, etc.  Could I have gotten all this with a KJ Jr?  Absolutely.  But, because of the members and ideas exchanged on this forum I feel as though my allegiance to the BGE brand is well-grounded. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @westernbbq  I remember you sharing those pics on the beach in Mexico.  That was beautiful and the outdoor setup had a perfect spot for your Mini Max.  You making that trip again?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    1move said:
    YukonRon said:

The bag I received was a bag of small, fines and dust typical with my experience with Big Green Egg Lump. You got the better deal, by far.
    Thank you, I figured I did okay. I picked up the MiniMax, PS, Ash tool, rib rack, Himalayan salt block with the tray, BGE table bottle opener, and got some free BGE candles thrown in for $600 I think. I remember it was $550 before I added the other stuff
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • YukonRon
    Options
    1move said:
    YukonRon said:
    1move said:
    YukonRon said:

Thank you, I figured I did okay. I picked up the MiniMax, PS, Ash tool, rib rack, Himalayan salt block with the tray, BGE table bottle opener, and got some free BGE candles thrown in for $600 I think. I remember it was $550 before I added the other stuff
    Killer haul, welcome to the machine. Did you get a money printer with it? You are going to need it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    @YukonRon I have had it for a year now and love it. It gets just as much use as my XL. They are expensive toys that's for sure but you gotta pay to play.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ