Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I pull the trigger on a Minimax?

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Very cool. I use mine when it is just My Beautiful Wife at home. I use the XL for big cooks or big item cooks. I think I have spent close to another $6500.00 since the purchase of my XL, in just under a year. No Kidding.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    For that price I would get a medium.  For tailgating and camping I would get a Weber jumbo Joe for $60.  
    @THEBuckeye Because I concur with SmokeyPitt ^^^^
    Still drunk?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,139
    Options
    For that price I would get a medium.  For tailgating and camping I would get a Weber jumbo Joe for $60.  
    Still drunk?
    That was my thought. This new side of Nola is disconcerting.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • UTAsports
    Options

You would not be disappointed with the MM. Smoked a butt on it at the beach. Smoked 11 hours never had to add charcoal and still had a little charcoal left, it did a great job

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    If your debating right now... Sooner or later you will buy it. Get it over with!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    @westernbbq  I remember you sharing those pics on the beach in Mexico.  That was beautiful and the outdoor setup had a perfect spot for your Mini Max.  You making that trip again?
    it is interesting you ask me that Brothaman.  As a matter of fact, i AM taking the MM to mexico in the next couple of weeks.  We are going fishing, oystering, and of course drinking a lot of cervezas.   Ill get more picts and post when we get back but we are doing pizza right on the beach and of course a pork butt for some carnita tacos.   We plan on making oysters rockefeller on MM as well as those jumbo shrimp tacos.   Itll be a great time enhanced by the bge.   I love taking a vacation and bringing a the MM along.  

One other thing i neglected to mention about the  Minimax.   It is an absolute chick magnet on the beach.  Gals come up commenting on how adorable it is and once they try the rock star food that it produces, look out.   A lot of them even posed for photos with it.  I should get some sent to me now that i think of it....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Apparently I took mine to the wrong beach...
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Too funny.   mexican beaches in sea of cortez this time of year are loaded with spring breakers from all over.  Met a group of delta delta deltas can we help ya help ya help ya last year all the way from Colorado.   Lots of candy to look at and they always like to stop by for a beer and a nibble of some tasty BGE meat.... The wife finds it hilarious that a 46 year old fat guy thinks he is the attraction.   We have fun with it.   All harmless but come down to las conchas or sandy beach, that is if you like beer, beaches, babes and burritos.....
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @westernbbq those are four of my favorite b words. 

Many wife would get a kick out of it too. You only have me by three yrs. I still got it though... :liar: 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Most excellent.  If you ever go to rocky point, youll have an incredible time.   It is pretty relaxing down there and no security worries.   
  • reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options
    Thank you all for taking time to share your thoughts on the MM.  I think I'm going to purchase it this weekend! 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options

reload said:
    Thank you all for taking time to share your thoughts on the MM.  I think I'm going to purchase it this weekend! 
    You won't be disappointed that's for sure!

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Still drunk?
    You betchya, gramps!
    Options
    Git offa mah lawn durn kiddz!!!
    Options
    Still drunk?
    That was my thought. This new side of Nola is disconcerting.
    I'm not sure how to take that. :pensive:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I would get a small/nest combo, have one and love it. MM is very heavy for one person and you will have to set it on the ground or have some kind of a table to set it on.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• westernbbq
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    @westernbbq  I remember you sharing those pics on the beach in Mexico.  That was beautiful and the outdoor setup had a perfect spot for your Mini Max.  You making that trip again?

Like Tessio said, "for old time's sake..."
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Apparently I took mine to the wrong beach...
    this was a few years ago, over on sandy beach. no minimax yet but flocks of chickens were (and still do) constantly walking the beach.  when they get the scent of something rockin' on the BGE, they head over fast. Pizza is probably the biggest attraction for chickens....I dunno why but they love pizza on the beach.  and I love the  MiniMax 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No. Yes. Maybe. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    im in the same boat and cant really decide between the mini max and the small
  • westernbbq
    Options
    While the minimax weighs 90 lb, it is more portable than the small.  The novelty of the MM is a big draw for me.  You get more capacity with S but that extra weight amd height limits storage space for other things.  

Mm is a little bit of a pain to haul but it has been worth it every time we hauled it along.   Plus securing a mm with bungees etc is a bit easier than doing so with a small.   
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited February 2016
    Options
    While the minimax weighs 90 lb, it is more portable than the small.  The novelty of the MM is a big draw for me.  You get more capacity with S but that extra weight amd height limits storage space for other things.  

Mm is a little bit of a pain to haul but it has been worth it every time we hauled it along.   Plus securing a mm with bungees etc is a bit easier than doing so with a small.   
    Minimax does not have less capacity and is only 4 poiund lighter than the small.
    MiniMax
    Specifications:

Grid Diameter: 13 in / 33 cm
    Cooking Area: 133 sq in / 856 sq cm
    Weight: 76 lbs / 35 kgs

Small

Specifications:

• Grid Diameter: 13 in / 33 cm
    • Cooking Area: 133 sq in /856 sq cm
    • Weight: 80 lbs / 36 kgs

Where I imagine (I do not have a MM, yet) the MM is king over the small portability is the squatty-ness of is lowers the center of gravity and it also APPEARS to have a wider base diameter.  Both of which reduce probability of overturning during transportation.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    If you don't get one you hate puppies!  You don't hate puppies do ya? 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • YukonRon
    Options
    We still chatting about this? It is taking time away from my baby seal clubbing....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    We still chatting about this? It is taking time away from my baby seal clubbing....
    Club away. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I have a MM. If you don't, have one you can never be as cool as those that have one.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have a MM. If you don't, have one you can never be as cool as those that have one.
    I'm cool like Ron... B)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I'm not cool. I demand a refund! :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,415
    Options
    I'm not cool-I have SBGE.  The capacity comment comes from the quantity of lump you can initially load in each.   Beyond that I would go to a dealer and give them a side-by-side look.
    Wherever you land you will enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.