Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I pull the trigger on a Minimax?

Options
123457»

Comments

• volminimax
    Options

I bought a MM at a cancer walk, that a local dealer had donated for silent auction. I cook on it 2-4 times a week. I have a OK Joe smoker and Gas grill. I haven't used the gas grill since I bought the MM and I only use the OK Joe to start and get a couple hours of good smoke onto butts, brisket.

My next purchase will be a XL for bigger cuts of meat and sides. I'm glad I got the MM first, as I love how portable it is and that when I do get an XL, I will have something to reverse sear on or grill while I am smoking larger cuts.

No regrets with my MM.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    stompbox said:
    So... I wanted a MM, but I am getting quotes for MM is $20 less than a medium.  I am nuts to get a MM right?
    Stomp.....I had the same rational and bought the medium. If it helps, I later got the MM.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • cfuller3
    Options
    You haven't done it yet?  Silly question.  I have the MM and Lge. It's for dragging with me when we go out in the 5th wheel.
    Portsmouth, VA.  LBGE.  Missed all this fun till now.   Update: Minimax added to arsenal. Hint, don't take off camping for a month after getting a LBGE, and leave it home, it'll cost you plenty.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Should I pull the trigger on a Minimax?

what's a minimax?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    My wife got the local dealer to donate (at wholesale) a MM for Fridays Raffle at the local Elementary.  $10 a ticket.

She wont tell me the wholesale cost, she wont 'Buy two' and let me pay for the 2nd one at wholesale.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,032
    Options
    stompbox said:
    So... I wanted a MM, but I am getting quotes for MM is $20 less than a medium.  I am nuts to get a MM right?
    Get a medium for $20 more. Not even a consideration in my opinion. What's a small cost? 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I would not shoot a minimax. I would purchase one and cook all kinds of things on it. That is what I would do.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,321
    edited October 2016
    Options
    stompbox said:
    Stomp.....I had the same rational and bought the medium. If it helps, I later got the MM.
    I formerly had a med, bought a large, then sold my med for a MM. I use the MM the most and absolutely love it. And I'm in Canada, where prices are quite a bit higher, even factoring the exchange. If it was stolen, I would replace immediately without hesitation.