Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I pull the trigger on a Minimax?

Options

Comments

• reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options
    Maybe a dumb question here, but is it OK to ask the dealer if they will come down on the quoted price?  I have hear that others are paying less than $550.00 which is roughly  $607.00 OTD with a platesetter included.  Call me a tight, I'm good with that, just more money for future accessories. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    stompbox said:
    While the minimax weighs 90 lb, it is more portable than the small.  The novelty of the MM is a big draw for me.  You get more capacity with S but that extra weight amd height limits storage space for other things.  

Mm is a little bit of a pain to haul but it has been worth it every time we hauled it along.   Plus securing a mm with bungees etc is a bit easier than doing so with a small.   
    Minimax does not have less capacity and is only 4 poiund lighter than the small.
    MiniMax
    Specifications:

Grid Diameter: 13 in / 33 cm
    Cooking Area: 133 sq in / 856 sq cm
    Weight: 76 lbs / 35 kgs

Small

Specifications:

• Grid Diameter: 13 in / 33 cm
    • Cooking Area: 133 sq in /856 sq cm
    • Weight: 80 lbs / 36 kgs

Where I imagine (I do not have a MM, yet) the MM is king over the small portability is the squatty-ness of is lowers the center of gravity and it also APPEARS to have a wider base diameter.  Both of which reduce probability of overturning during transportation.

What I meant about capacity is ability to hold more fuel in the Small.  the firebox of S is much deeper ( I don't have dimensions handy and I am too lazy to look them up) but I can tell just by looking at the two side by side.  Also, if you get creative and add  a drop-down spider in the small, you actually can gain some added cooking area (for perhaps a bigger turkey or one or two more home-fashioned grids that could result in more cooking capacity. 

My buddy has a small and the next time I am over there, and sober, i'll snap a pict of his small with the homemade rack system he made that drops down into the firebox.  This can't happen with the MiniMax because the space isn't there.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    oh and I guess the MM weighs 76 lbs.  I said 90  lbs above.  I guess my back feels like the mm weighs 90 when I move it!  I am twice the man I used to be and cast a shadow over my former glory....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @reload Never pay sticker. Absolutely negotiate away especially if you're a return customer. I see nothing wrong with this. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    I myself just order a mini max from dealer impatiently waiting for the call. Curious of the difficulty in assembly. I have a XL it was a bear to assemble by myself but I got it. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Danny71 assembly can be done in under one 6pk
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL ... says the man who has never done anything in under one six pack?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    That's awesome thanks
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    BGE MM MAKES YOU COOL!  Worth the extra $50.00. You will thank me later, and because I am cool, I will say "no problem." Very cool speak for "you are welcome."
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Nope.  You should NOT pull the trigger on the MM.  Can't imagine why anybody would shoot any type of BGE.  :o
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    If you don't get one you hate puppies!  You don't hate puppies do ya? 

We need to talk about your MAN card. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,139
    Options
    Love my MM.  Used it tonight for some cookies, but I love all my eggs so my opinion is suspect.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I've been testing out a small recently. I like that if I let the full firebox go raging inferno it's still manageable. I imagine the minimax is even better in that regard. I don't like the cleanout opening. for the small. The medium is a lot easier. What's the minimax cleanout opening like?

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I've been testing out a small recently. I like that if I let the full firebox go raging inferno it's still manageable. I imagine the minimax is even better in that regard. I don't like the cleanout opening. for the small. The medium is a lot easier. What's the minimax cleanout opening like?

Small
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,139
    Options
    blind99 said:

Cleanout is roughly 13" if you get a KAB.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I'm dreaming of a custom cart with space for two eggs. Large small combo in a challenger seems like it'd be great. And if I hit the powerball it'll have a TV pop up out of the back :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What about my man card @Mickey
    I don't need to light my egg like I'm dropping napalm on a village. MAPP works fine. That's my Son lighting his. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    That is about like asking a bunch of alcoholics if you should have another drink....
    Suwanee, GA
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    @ChuckR that's why I have 2!
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL is that a Smokeware cap on the other one? I was told the one they make for theMM is the same size as the M,L,XL one just with a gasket
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @1move Yep both my & Son's MM sport the Smokeware along with the LG. Yes, the cap is the same just add the adaptor for the MM. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL ... says the man who has never done anything in under one six pack?
    There's a difference between actual and billed amounts. He may complete the task in 5.5 beers but bill for 7.5 beers. Additionally, if he is helping others out, I see no gouging In a 6 pack minimum charge.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What about my man card @Mickey
    I don't need to light my egg like I'm dropping napalm on a village. MAPP works fine. That's my Son lighting his. 
    I use the Mapp for the Mini after burning the crap out of my custom handle on the Mini with the weedburner. Always use the correct tool is my new motto. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I'd love to see a pic, gif or video clip of that^^^ @Mickey :smiley: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggzellent
    Options
    Finally stopped screwing around/waiting for the Joetisserie XL or saving money on the Joe Jr. and picked up the MM today. Decided on the BGE PS/12" stone vs the 13" to have some chance of getting anything up in the dome (probably have to pick up a 10" as well with the woo). Awkward to carry but doable for short distances if you don't mind risking your back or gut muscles. 
    Surprised at how thin the Joe gaskets were as compared to even the short-lived BGE fare (they carry both). 
    If you can get the Conveggtor thrown in with the MM at what is a $100 list difference (without it) it seems to me that you are getting your money's worth for the price difference (YMMV).
    I like it a lot yet it's hard to believe what I paid for my XL (years ago) as compared with what the MM is going for now..which I will instantly forget the first time I fire it up. 

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    @reload it's the weekend!!! Did you get it???
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Get it now. Participate in the current Throwdown. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Eggzellent ... you've got to stop looking back at what you paid for something years ago.  Two points:

1)  If you include the nest, the MM has the same number of parts as the XL ... almost the same labor costs to produce them ... almost the same cost on the BGE truck to ship them.  The only savings is a little on basic materials ... not much in the scheme of things.

2)  Bought a Valentine's day card for my wife earlier this month.  Told the gal at the counter that the card cost about what my marriage license cost.  Stuff just plain costs more today than yesterday.

Cheers ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options

1move said:
    @reload it's the weekend!!! Did you get it???
    Not yet.  Unfortunately,  I had to work this weekend.  I plan on getting the MM Monday morning!