Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova Sous Vide an Amazon Deal of the Day

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2016
    If you are on the fence about sous vide you could try the cooler method. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

Another option is to just use the stove and manually hold the temp.  I find I can maintain the temp fairly well using a CI dutch oven and my thermapen or a maverick type probe in the water.  

These methods are only good for shorter sous vide but you can play around with it before you spend any money to see if it is your style.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Sea2Ski said:
    I resisted long enough to miss the deal.

Now I have  "Non-buyers remorse".

It's amazing how much money fear of "non-buyers remorse" has cost me over the years. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I have that unit without the bluetooth. I like it so far. Seems to be well built. Cooking thick pork chops as I type. Steaks and chicken breasts have turned out perfect. Rim to rim perfection doness every time.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    My sous vide unit is sitting on my front porch waiting for me. Can't wait to try it out!
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    You all on this forum spend more of my money than my wife does!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Looks like the deal is over........
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    ^^^^^ Yeah! Missed this thread when first posted. Saved some money!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Mine arrived today!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    RRP said:
    Mine arrived today!!!
    Got mine Sunday.  I already Sous Vide'd my phone on accident :(
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I've been out of town for a few days and arrived back home last night. I was surprised that it was much bigger than expected.  I'm gonna go find some things to SV this weekend and will post results when complete.

I will ask:

If you have some SRF frozens in the freezer, would you need to thaw before SVing?

Thanks for all the feedback on here already!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP said:
    Mine arrived today!!!
    Did you find that the phone retained more of its juices compared to if you'd cooked it at a higher temp in the oven?
  • thetrim said:
    If you have some SRF frozens in the freezer, would you need to thaw before SVing?
    I have read in other threads on here that you can sous vide straight from frozen, however I haven't done so myself yet (mine arrived this past weekend as well). I do not know how much additional time is required to get it to temp though, so be sure to check the internal temp when you pull it to make sure it's cooked all of the way through. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2016
    RRP said:
    Mine arrived today!!!
    Did you find that the phone retained more of its juices compared to if you'd cooked it at a higher temp in the oven?
    Yes, It was much juicer than oven cooking.  I don't recommend it though, I prefer my phones closer to jerky.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You don't need to thaw.  But you do want to salt what you put in the SV.  Not absolutely necessary, but you get a good influx of salt in the meat.  Frozen stuff thaws in very little time.  You can add some time to the SV cook, but generally steaks thaw in 20 minutes, roasts in an hour.
    Me too! Took three reads . . . 
    <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://phillyphoodie.com">http://phillyphoodie.com/</a>
  • thetrim
    You don't need to thaw.  But you do want to salt what you put in the SV.  Not absolutely necessary, but you get a good influx of salt in the meat.  Frozen stuff thaws in very little time.  You can add some time to the SV cook, but generally steaks thaw in 20 minutes, roasts in an hour.
    Ok, thanks for the tips NOLA.  SO it sounds like you wouldn't want to put it straight from the SRF packaging into the SV.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    thetrim said:
    Ok, thanks for the tips NOLA.  SO it sounds like you wouldn't want to put it straight from the SRF packaging into the SV.
    I put mine in the original packaging till it softens a bit.  Then I swapped it to vacuum bag.

Nobody died, so that was good.

• I got mine last Sunday and have used it a few times, mostly just recipes from the app. Best thing by far was chicken breasts. Way more tender and juicy than anything I've had before.  I must have been severely over cooking my chicken previously.  Glazed carrots were great as well.
    Parker, Colorado
  • HeavyG
    thetrim said:
    I did a couple SRF ribeye sous vide then seared a few days ago. Left them in the SRF bag while they were in the hot tub.

Seasoned them after I took them out of the bags and let them set a while before I seared them.

They were fine. I have two more SRF ribeye and I'll probably just leave them in the SRF bag mainly cuz I'm lazy.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited February 2016
    For some reason, I just don't feel I'll use it.  
    Do you ever eat leftovers?  If nothing else it's the ultimate leftover reheater.
    @Thatgrimguy , yeah, we do left overs a lot.  Most cooking is done on Sunday for the week ahead so we don't have to come home and cook.  

Here's my dilemma with that.  Getting home and having to put all the stuff in a bag, then in the water, and setting all that up.  Does it save more time than the microwave?  I get impatient just getting things warmed up in the microwave.  

I'll likely kick myself in the rear soon for not getting one though.  
    @Tarheelmatt. You do all the vac sealing in mass after you get done cooking on a sunday. I'll break butts or brisket into 1lb bags and seal them up and freeze them. Then I just get home and throw it in the SV while I play with my baby / do my nightly routine. An hour later it's ready to eat and even If I don't get to it for 2 hours, who cares. It may not be faster, but it's definitely more hands off.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    thetrim said:
    I've cooked lots of stuff in the original packaging and it's all still tasted great. Season heavily before the sear.  Made a frenched rack of lamb that way tonight.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • thetrim
    HeavyG said:
    thetrim said:
    I did a couple SRF ribeye sous vide then seared a few days ago. Left them in the SRF bag while they were in the hot tub.

Seasoned them after I took them out of the bags and let them set a while before I seared them.

They were fine. I have two more SRF ribeye and I'll probably just leave them in the SRF bag mainly cuz I'm lazy.
    So you took it out of the bag after the SV but before the sear???
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    I SV'd a brisket in its original package for 48 hr...came out great!!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    RRP said:
    Mine arrived today!!!
    Yes, It was much juicer than oven cooking.  I don't recommend it though, I prefer my phones closer to jerky.
    Okay you guys, laugh all you want.  You see this is not his first time threatening/shortening the life of electronics.  He borrowed my Maverick and gave it back short one digit ... dropped it.  Borrowed my mini IR gun and never returned it ... ran it through the washing machine.  Bottom line, @Ozzie_Isaac is h*ll on electronics.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• HeavyG
    thetrim said:
    HeavyG said:
    thetrim said:

Uhhh....yes.

Took the frozen SRF ribeye still in the SRF bags and put them in the hot tub. After a couple of hours-ish removed them from the hot tub and removed the steaks from the SRF bags. Put them on a plate. Seasoned them. Let them set for a while till I was ready to sear them.

Seared them. Ate them. Exclaimed "That's some damm fine beef!".

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    RRP said:
    Mine arrived today!!!
    Okay you guys, laugh all you want.  You see this is not his first time threatening/shortening the life of electronics.  He borrowed my Maverick and gave it back short one digit ... dropped it.  Borrowed my mini IR gun and never returned it ... ran it through the washing machine.  Bottom line, @Ozzie_Isaac is h*ll on electronics.
    This reminds me of my brother and my dad growing up.  My brother was always rough on things and toting tools off and either leaving them where ever or not putting them back.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thatgrimguy
    HeavyG said:
    thetrim said:
    HeavyG said:
    thetrim said:

Uhhh....yes.

Took the frozen SRF ribeye still in the SRF bags and put them in the hot tub. After a couple of hours-ish removed them from the hot tub and removed the steaks from the SRF bags. Put them on a plate. Seasoned them. Let them set for a while till I was ready to sear them.

Seared them. Ate them. Exclaimed "That's some damm fine beef!".
    I do the same basic thing. I don't even let them sit very long. Maybe 20 minutes, which is more to cool the meat down a bit before the sear than to let the seasoning soak in.

I've even vac sealed packages from the grocery that still had that weird pillow and forgotten about it. Called my wife at lunch and asked her to grab a couple chops out of the freezer and just throw them in the SV. Well wouldn't you know she grabbed the two that still had the styrofoam tray and nasty pillow thing under the meat and threw it all in the SV at 140 and there it sat for 3 hours. 

I took it all out when I got home, seasoned and seared and couldn't tell any difference from not having those things in there.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

We are still waiting to hear the anvil story! He must have been one holy terror as a kid!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    get some 1" thick cut pork chops if you really want to see the anova shine.  sear in cast iron with some butter and you are set
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    RRP said:

We are still waiting to hear the anvil story! He must have been one holy terror as a kid!
    We'll save the anvil for later, but I will tell you about the green station wagon.  Let's see, he was maybe four when he decided to become a mechanic.  Pulled my floor jack (3 ton Milwaukee commercial) out of the garage and down the drive way to jack up the station wagon.  Unfortunately he used the center of the gas tank as a lift point.  From that point forward, when the gas gauge said empty, the tank was truly empty.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max