Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova Sous Vide an Amazon Deal of the Day

Options
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this but wanted to send it out to the forum folks that have one already to get some feedback.  Usually $179.  Today $139
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=gbps_tit_s-3_3022_a6aa6242?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2292853022&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_all&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=14PJ72R492D2V83VCKFT

Thank you.

=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    jump on it.  like  you i was skeptical but picked one up during the xmas sale.  steak, pork chops, and chicken on it are amazing.  
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I ordered one also. I have a pal that is a foodie and this is one of the three he recommended for a starting unit. I have been thinking about ordering one to try and this is a good way to try the technique.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • gtcharlie
    Options
    Very very tempted.  Anyone here have the same unit?  I would like to get into sous vide and this seems like a good unit.  My question how much of a starter unit is this and will I be wanting to upgrade it in short order?   Hate to make the expenditure twice.
  • tonyled
    Options
    i have had the same one for a while now and no desire to upgrade.  

a couple of good pickups to go with it:  

12 qt container:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R8JOUC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

matching lid:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VAUFD6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

these are perfect for the anova

• Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    Curious to hear what everyone has to say about this model etc...I have been thinking about purchasing one of these for quite some time now but I always wonder if I would use it that much...can anyone share some examples of meals or uses, basically...someone convince me to spend more money haha

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    I have this and I love it.  Not only is it great for cooking meat to the exact temperature you want, but it makes cooking large meals or complex dinners much easier.  For instance, @nolaegghead sous vide 20 lbs of country ribs and brought them to a mardi gras parade, where all we had to do was sear them for a couple of minutes and they were ready to go.  That seriously cut down on time and hassle as opposed to cooking them from start to finish at the parade route.  I also like it because I can put something in it, go to work and when I come home all I need to do is a quick sear and dinner is served.  Lastly, I'm kind of a tightwad and I hate wasting food, with the sous vide I'm able to cook things that would normally get thrown away like broccoli stems and they come out tender and delicious.  Oh, and these are just the benefits to cooking.  I also use it extensively in my brewing, but that's a post for another forum. 
  • gtcharlie
    Options
    Sounds like it is definitely worth pulling the trigger on.  Looking forward to seeing what I can do with this.   Generally speaking what size container or pot is considered best with this unit?  The 12 Quart Rubbermaid linked earlier an ideal size?
  • tonyled
    Options
    depends on what you are cooking.  this has been best all around for me.  i have used it for 1 steak and could probly fit an 8lb butt in it
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. It is tempting, though I do not know why.  Do I really need another method to cook stuff?

This forum is the only thing making me think I want to try sous vide cooking. Never had the desire before, and not sure if I even want to now. 

Damn you people...  :lol: 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Thanks for the heads up. It is tempting, though I do not know why.  Do I really need another method to cook stuff?

This forum is the only thing making me think I want to try sous vide cooking. Never had the desire before, and not sure if I even want to now. 

Damn you people...  :lol: 
    Tell me about it.  Do I really need this?  No.  Do I want it, yes.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options

welp....ordered.

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • tonyled
    Options
    you wont regret it, like i said i was in the exact same boat and couldnt decide whether i needed it or not but after using it a few times absolutely zero buyers remorse.  make sure you thumb through serious eats how-to guides

http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/sous vide
  • coomdaddy
    Options
    Ordered as well.  Justifying by saying that I won't be getting my egg until August.
  • JefCB01
    Options
    Trigger pulled...sale was enough to get me of the sous vide bench and into the ballgame.  Can't wait
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    I pulled the trigger on one as well. Damn you guys are good at spending my money. 

Any recommendations on websites/forums to do some beginner research while this bad boy is on its way to me (aside from the one @tonyled mentioned above)?
  • tonyled
    Options
    reddit has a pretty active sous vide sub

https://www.reddit.com/r/sousvide/
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Do it!  It's the bomb I did one last year at Father's Day 
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    I gave in and bought one. My wife is going to kill me!  =)
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    We make all our babies food using SV.  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Maybe I'll start a gofundme  :o
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Like a lemming - I jumped off the cliff to the tune of $189 as I added the lid for the container as well!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I hate you guys. I have 140 set aside for new IWB holsters and a gun belt....... 

Decisions decisions.....

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• tonyled
    Options
    RRP said:
    Like a lemming - I jumped off the cliff to the tune of $189 as I added the lid for the container as well!
    the lid will help with condensation on long cooks but for short cooks (<4 hours) i dont even bother
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited February 2016
    Options
    tonyled said:
    RRP said:
    the lid will help with condensation on long cooks but for short cooks (<4 hours) i dont even bother
    Thanks - I really bought the $4 lid for sake of storage when not in use. For the long overnight cooks I thought about taking a piece of Plexiglass and cuting a hole in it for the unit. It wouldn't grip like a lid, but instead just sit there by gravity.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thanks been eying one. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tonyled
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks - I really bought the $4 lid for sake of storage when not in use. For the long overnight cooks I thought about taking a piece of Plexiglass and cuting a hole in it for the unit. It wouldn't grip like a lid, but instead just sit there by gravity.
    that works, i think anova sells ping pong balls to do the same thing 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    So I see it says 4-5 gallons. I understand that volume.  Give me an idea of the largest amount of protein you could cook in it. 10 chicken breasts?  20?  Or strip steaks? 5? 10? More? Less?  I know you want "space" between them, but how much is really needed?

Fighting the urge......
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • tonyled
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    So I see it says 4-5 gallons. I understand that volume.  Give me an idea of the largest amount of protein you could cook in it. 10 chicken breasts?  20?  Or strip steaks? 5? 10? More? Less?  I know you want "space" between them, but how much is really needed?

Fighting the urge......
    not much space needed between at all.  think about the smallest space you could squeeze water into, thats pretty tight.  you could do some good size quantities with one
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Dang it!  Just got a $250 gift card from work to Amazon.  Wanted a few things already though. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    We make all our babies food using SV.  
    My eyes were playing tricks on me and I missed the "food" part of your post the first time I read it. I was really confused. 

Little Rock, AR