Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova Sous Vide an Amazon Deal of the Day

Options
124»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP said:

Okay you guys, laugh all you want.  You see this is not his first time threatening/shortening the life of electronics.  He borrowed my Maverick and gave it back short one digit ... dropped it.  Borrowed my mini IR gun and never returned it ... ran it through the washing machine.  Bottom line, @Ozzie_Isaac is h*ll on electronics.
    We are still waiting to hear the anvil story! He must have been one holy terror as a kid!
    We'll save the anvil for later, but I will tell you about the green station wagon.  Let's see, he was maybe four when he decided to become a mechanic.  Pulled my floor jack (3 ton Milwaukee commercial) out of the garage and down the drive way to jack up the station wagon.  Unfortunately he used the center of the gas tank as a lift point.  From that point forward, when the gas gauge said empty, the tank was truly empty.
    HAHAHAHAHA  That's a gem.  Wasn't until I was 5 until I started disassembling all the kitchen appliance.  It wouldn't be until years later that I could reassemble them.
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    thetrim said:
    You don't need to thaw.  But you do want to salt what you put in the SV.  Not absolutely necessary, but you get a good influx of salt in the meat.  Frozen stuff thaws in very little time.  You can add some time to the SV cook, but generally steaks thaw in 20 minutes, roasts in an hour.
    Ok, thanks for the tips NOLA.  SO it sounds like you wouldn't want to put it straight from the SRF packaging into the SV.
    I did a couple SRF ribeye sous vide then seared a few days ago. Left them in the SRF bag while they were in the hot tub.

Seasoned them after I took them out of the bags and let them set a while before I seared them.

They were fine. I have two more SRF ribeye and I'll probably just leave them in the SRF bag mainly cuz I'm lazy.
    Two or three times I've SV cooked in the factory bag - each time it was cryovac - and I ended up with a plastic taste in the food. 

I've done it many, many more times without that problem.  My point is, apparently not all the packaging is suitable for heat, so be forewarned.  I hope I didn't ingest a slug of BPA.  My nuts didn't shrivel up, so I think I'm ok.
    Options
    I've never put something cryovaced right into the hot tub as I would always want to clean or trim the meat first.

The SRF bags "looked and felt like a quality plastic" (a rigorous scientific test if ever there was one) so I didn't worry about any chemical nasties. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk