Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova Sous Vide an Amazon Deal of the Day

Options

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Just sent you a PM, if you don't mind! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    So I see it says 4-5 gallons. I understand that volume.  Give me an idea of the largest amount of protein you could cook in it. 10 chicken breasts?  20?  Or strip steaks? 5? 10? More? Less?  I know you want "space" between them, but how much is really needed?

Fighting the urge......
    The max volume claims are for higher temps.  If you're cooking at a typical temp - say 147F in an insulated cooler with insulation on the top (bubble wrap), you can probably use a 65qt cooler and easily maintain that temp.  You can cook 50 pounds of meat without a problem.
    Options
    So how do you know when to put the food into the water with one of these things?  Does the food just stay at the temp you need it until the rest of dinner is done?
    War Damn Eagle!
  • grndr420
    Options
    Are you guys using actual cooking pouches or ziplock bags? 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I use foodsaver bags most of the time.  Sometimes ziploc, sometimes whatever it came in.
    Thanks for the info ---very tempting and a great price.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,105
    Options
    This board is brutal!  Ignorance is bliss.  This board is like a great big flashing sign above all the cool toys for cooking.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    We make all our babies food using SV.  
    My eyes were playing tricks on me and I missed the "food" part of your post the first time I read it. I was really confused. 
    Me too!  I was thinging wow, @Thatgrimguy is one kinky mofo.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I like this Chef Steps guide as a reference. PolyScience has a chart too. Recipes on the internet from blogs, etc have times and temps all over the place.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide.

@Fishepa - you bag the food and throw it in for the desired time, at the desired temp. Some like to let the SV unit come up to temp first, or just throw it in at the start and let the unit come up to temp.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I hate you guys .... I'm in for one  =)
    Parker, Colorado
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    fishepa said:
    So how do you know when to put the food into the water with one of these things?  Does the food just stay at the temp you need it until the rest of dinner is done?
    i put my food in as soon as i turn it on.  you can wait til it gets up to temp though i think either way is fine.

yes, however you can overcook with it but it takes a looooooong time to
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Just under 6 hours left... I think I can hold out.  I think I am going to make it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I would be all over this, but my new induction/SV showed up today. If I wind up using the SV feature, I'll be researching a pure SV in the future. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Just under 6 hours left... I think I can hold out.  I think I am going to make it.
    @Sea2Ski don't hold out, pull the trigger and make it happen. I have the Anova Bluetooth, it's a great tool in the toolbox. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    For some reason, I just don't feel I'll use it.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Saturday it is going to be a high of 16* and low of 2*. I have a feeling SV steak might be on the menu.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Do you ever eat leftovers?  If nothing else it's the ultimate leftover reheater.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I've been where you are. Hang in there, you can do it!! =) I think the price  was $120something when I last had the urge, but I resisted. I had already planned to buy a digital temp controller for my crock pot, about $28 as I recall. I did and it works perfectly! I need to experiment more, but it has worked very well with a three hour, 130° strip steak as well as a 48 hr chuckie. Not as nice as the Anova, I guess, but a fraction of the price.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    We make all our babies food using SV.  
    I've been leery of SV, still am not quite ready, but I seem to be veering closer to trying it.  One thing that's still sticking in my craw is cooking food in plastic bags.  People used to think microwaving with plastic wrap was fine, but then, AFTER zillions of people had been doing it for years, they finally discovered that with one type of plastic wrap carcinogens were generated in the microwave.

So now I'm reading about chemicals, including those with "estrogen activity" leaching out of most plastics used in SV cooking.  I wonder what people will have learned about this in 10 or 15 years...

If you're making food for your babies with this thing, you must be pretty confident it's safe.  What are your thoughts?  And what type of bags do you use?

Thanks!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @Theophan

You're talking about BPA (Bisphenol A) in the plastic.  There is none in bags that are designed for cooking.  I'm not sure they put BPA in any food bags anymore, but you can check with the manufacturer.  I encourage everyone to check this kind of stuff often.
    Options
    @Theophan

You're talking about BPA (Bisphenol A) in the plastic.  There is none in bags that are designed for cooking.  I'm not sure they put BPA in any food bags anymore, but you can check with the manufacturer.  I encourage everyone to check this kind of stuff often.
    I did read the other day the BPA replacement may not be safe either.  Have you seen anything in that topic @nolaegghead ?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac no, but I'll look.  might be the BPA manufacturers that are making that claim ;)  I'm a suspicious guy.
    Options
    Ok.  Thanks for the feedback.  I pulled the trigger on the SV as well as the 12L container and top
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Do you ever eat leftovers?  If nothing else it's the ultimate leftover reheater.
    @Thatgrimguy , yeah, we do left overs a lot.  Most cooking is done on Sunday for the week ahead so we don't have to come home and cook.  

Here's my dilemma with that.  Getting home and having to put all the stuff in a bag, then in the water, and setting all that up.  Does it save more time than the microwave?  I get impatient just getting things warmed up in the microwave.  

I'll likely kick myself in the rear soon for not getting one though.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ... I'll likely kick myself in the rear soon for not getting one though.  
    Hi, my name is Jeepster, and I'm a gadget collector.  Been trying to contain it all my life ... but, "I wonder how it would work" is simply too strong a siren call to resist every time.  I lost the battle on this one at the last minute, but have committed to improving tomorrow.

My arguments, as the countdown clock ticked down last night, were:

1)  If @nolaegghead has four, why can't I have just one?

2)  Damn that's a good price ... last year it was on sale for $129 and this year it's up to $139, so it's only going to get more expensive ... got to jump now!

3) Can never have enough shiny tools.

4) Chance to experiment with another method of warming/cooking/etc.

5) Resisted owning a microwave for years ... now wouldn't be without one ... maybe this is in the same category.

6) Can't let @Ozzie_Isaac get ahead of me ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jeepster, and I'm a gadget collector.  Been trying to contain it ...

Hahaha!  I thought you called to see if I got it so you could borrow it.

You had to make sure you kept up with the Jonses!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jeepster, and I'm a gadget collector.  Been trying to contain it all my life ... but, "I wonder how it would work" is simply too strong a siren call to resist every time.  I lost the battle on this one at the last minute, but have committed to improving tomorrow.

2)  Damn that's a good price ... last year it was on sale for $129 and this year it's up to $139, so it's only going to get more expensive ... got to jump now!

5) Resisted owning a microwave for years ... now wouldn't be without one ... maybe this is in the same category.

I agree with your rationale so I ordered one yesterday since I've been wanting to but just had not. Besides I figured I needed to reward myself for not getting on the Blackstone band wagon!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    I was able to resist with help from my wife. :|
    War Damn Eagle!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    RRP said:

I agree with your rationale so I ordered one yesterday since I've been wanting to but just had not. Besides I figured I needed to reward myself for not getting on the Blackstone band wagon!
    I jumped on the Blackstone wagon, just didn't admit it to anyone until now.
    Options
    I resisted long enough to miss the deal.

Now I have  "Non-buyers remorse".

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.