Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hear ye Mortals....incredible scientific discovery on gravitational waves. Massively weigh in here.

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options

Waiting for the explanation about how all this happened in 6000 years . . . 

<Cue the Jeopardy music>

<waiting . . . .>
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    This is no way has anything to do with religion, so I am not sure why you are bringing that up. All you do is try to start arguments on this forum. The fact that you are bringing up religion shows that you have no clue as to what this means. If anything it would side in the favor of an afterlife since it proves that time can indeed be infinite. You must have serious issues if your #1 priority of your life is to consistently start arguments on a cooking forum. FFS get a life man. Again has absolutely ZERO to do with religion. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    oddly, dismissing the climate scientists who are no longer needed will increase the percentage of those non-believing scientists versus those who do believe.

this will reverberate back and forth, as the ratio of non-believing scientists rises (due to shedding those in agreement with science), it will eventually necessitate their rehiring until the superior ratio is reestablished.  whereupon there will again no longer be a need for climatologists, and they will be let go again.

Yes, odd decision.  Remarkably so as Australia is considered "ground zero" for climate change and the Turnbull government is on board with acting on the science.  They are like most every other country (except one) in they aren't fighting about the science.
    Options
    This is no way has anything to do with religion, so I am not sure why you are bringing that up. All you do is try to start arguments on this forum. The fact that you are bringing up religion shows that you have no clue as to what this means. If anything it would side in the favor of an afterlife since it proves that time can indeed be infinite. You must have serious issues if your #1 priority of your life is to consistently start arguments on a cooking forum. FFS get a life man. Again has absolutely ZERO to do with religion. 
    I already apologized.  It's more like my #16th priority, for the record.
    Options
    In the spirit of the space-time continuum, how long before the buffalo creates shock waves with this thread?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @YukonRon - not only a genius but he rode a mean bicycle...thanks for sharing ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    this doesn't imply time is infinite, fwiw. 

the waves measured were from an event 1.3 billion years ago, less time than the age of our planet. although the age of our planet is "debated" by some.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bhedges1987
    edited February 2016
    Options
    this doesn't imply time is infinite, fwiw. 

the waves measured were from an event 1.3 billion years ago, less time than the age of our planet. although the age of our planet is "debated" by some.

It also shows that when two black holes collide time can indeed not exist, therefore is the same thing. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    It also shows that when two black holes collide time can indeed not exist, therefore is the same thing. 

citation required

the LIGO discovery says nothing about the nature of time in /outside of a black hole.

further, time does not "not exist" in a black hole.  your watch would tick when you crossed the threshold and moved toward singularity.  even as you fell to the center, and were torn apart, you would see your watch tick at the same rate as you always did.

but someone outside the black hole would see your watch (if they could) tick slower and slower, approaching zero

time is RELATIVE (that's why it is called the 'special theory of relativity')

c'mon bro, crack a book for me, one time.  well, a different book (if you know what i mean)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bhedges1987
    Options

citation required

the LIGO discovery says nothing about the nature of time in /outside of a black hole.

further, time does not "not exist" in a black hole.  your watch would tick when you crossed the threshold and moved toward singularity.  even as you fell to the center, and were torn apart, you would see your watch tick at the same rate as you always did.

but someone outside the black hole would see your watch (if they could) tick slower and slower, approaching zero

time is RELATIVE (that's why it is called the 'special theory of relativity')

c'mon bro, crack a book for me, one time.  well, a different book (if you know what i mean)

The amount of astrophysicists on this forum is astounding. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    So is the amount of BS.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I'm still having trouble understanding 'infinity.'  If I understand it correctly, there is an unlimited number of 'me' out there doing the same thing I'm doing right now.  That means "yes" to the question, "Is there life out there?"  And if all of the universe's contents are moving outward away from each other at a rate faster than the speed of light, how can we see them moving away?  Their light will never reach us.  As Vinny Barbarino would say, "I'm so confused!"

Spring "I Think, Therefore I Am" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• bhedges1987
    Options
    I'm still having trouble understanding 'infinity.'  If I understand it correctly, there is an unlimited number of 'me' out there doing the same thing I'm doing right now.  That means "yes" to the question, "Is there life out there?"  And if all of the universe's contents are moving outward away from each other at a rate faster than the speed of light, how can we see them moving away?  Their light will never reach us.  As Vinny Barbarino would say, "I'm so confused!"

Spring "I Think, Therefore I Am" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

Don't worry, one of the physics experts that learned everything yesterday will chime in to tell you all you need to know. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    well, it can look complicated when you delve into the first time, but if it is something you have been following for years, it's not all that bad.

trick is not to draw conclusions yourself, because there are scientists and theoreticians way out ahead of us.  that was your mistake.  you inferred something from minimal information (viz: that a press conference about gravitational waves being discovered = proof of lack of existence of time in a black hole = proof of infinite time= proof of heaven = validation/confirmation of personal religious beliefs).

i'm just repeating the current consensus position.

i don't pretend to be at the forefront.

but you go, man.  extrapolate as you wish (and at your peril)

• bhedges1987
    Options
    well, it can look complicated when you delve into the first time, but if it is something you have been following for years, it's not all that bad.

trick is not to draw conclusions yourself, because there are scientists and theoreticians way out ahead of us.  that was your mistake.  you inferred something from minimal information (viz: that a press conference about gravitational waves being discovered = proof of lack of existence of time in a black hole = proof of infinite time= proof of heaven = validation/confirmation of personal religious beliefs).

No, I am just trying to put to rest that this has absolutely nothing to do with religion. People here are posting as if this disproves what some may believe when this in fact has nothing to do with religion. Every single discovery there is some left-wing nut who claims it disproves everything the GOP says or believes( classifying them all the same, such as Nola here does) Same with the Higgs discovery. As Neil Tyson said " People are trying to use this as a way to put creationism to rest, but oddly enough, looking at it from our perspective, this favors in the side of creationism,  however this is merely just the first step is discovering the unknown." Source: one of his many interviews.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited February 2016
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
    I've visited here,  the nuclear test area north of Las Vegas.  There are all kinds of huge craters everywhere, where a nuc was fired off deep underground; as the blast vaporized the rock and spreads out into a spherical shape, it eventually runs out of energy, leaving a large vacuum, and the ground above gives way and collapses, leaving the crater.  There was one area that was heavily cordoned off, for whatever reason the ground did not give way, so they're very careful not to let anyone out on it.  

We also took a mining cart down into the side of (iirc) Yucca Mountain, where the tunnel was tapered larger at the entrance and small right where the nuc was waiting, and "shelves" were cut into the sides of the tunnel, facing the blast point.  Different experiments were mounted and wired up to measure the waves that came off the initial blast, before the physical blast obliterated the tunnel (at that time, air bursts were no longer allowed by treaty but underground testing was still going on, this was ~1988).  

Also got to the the "structures" testing area, which you've all seen in school (where the blast hits buildings, and the return blast obliterates anything that survives the first wave).  They built all kinds of structures for testing: homes, factories, hangers, bridges, and storage igloos.  

That was the coolest job I'll ever hold, nuclear weapon safety engineer for five years.   B)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    if it has nothing to do with religion, then let's not make the leap in logic that it proves the existence of heaven.

and your use of "quotes" implies Tyson actually said those words.  please link to the source, because its unlike anything he has ever said.  if he said it in "many interviews", you should be able to quickly find it.

• bhedges1987
    Options
    if it has nothing to do with religion, then let's not make the leap in logic that it proves the existence of heaven.

and your use of "quotes" implies Tyson actually said those words.  please link to the source, because its unlike anything he has ever said.  if he said it in "many interviews", you should be able to quickly find it.

Then please don't make the leap in logic that it doesent. Show me where I ever used the word heaven? I can show you where people said it disproves. However I can't see anywhere I said it proves heaven. Only stating it has nothing to do with it, therefore it should not be brought up. I said the time relatively favors in some beliefs. Did I say he said it in many interviews or one of his many interviews? Reading comprehension bro.... Learn it.....

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• nolaegghead
    Options

No, I am just trying to put to rest that this has absolutely nothing to do with religion. People here are posting as if this disproves what some may believe when this in fact has nothing to do with religion. Every single discovery there is some left-wing nut who claims it disproves everything the GOP says or believes( classifying them all the same, such as Nola here does) Same with the Higgs discovery. As Neil Tyson said " People are trying to use this as a way to put creationism to rest, but oddly enough, looking at it from our perspective, this favors in the side of creationism,  however this is merely just the first step is discovering the unknown." Source: one of his many interviews.
    I put people that make up quotes in the same category as thieves.  Not that I care one iota about your opinion - you are free to voice it as I am mine. 
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    bhedges1987 said: "If anything it would side in the favor of an afterlife since it proves that time can indeed be infinite."

sorry, i confused your use of the word "afterlife" with "heaven".  i don't know how that happened.  maybe the part where everyone else seems to use those words synonymously.

you'll notice though, i didn't use quotes.

you used quotes for a statement you said was by Tyson re creationism.  the guy has never once supported creationism, nor even implied it had any remote validity

he never said it.

perhaps you saw it in a facebook post or a forwarded out-of-context email. 

but your quote does not exist in the wild. 

you give me grief for paraphrasing you (substituting one word for its synonym), while you feel no qualms about completely making up a quote and attributing it to someone with a known opinion exactly opposite what you 'quoted'

this is on par though with people who deny science or like to pick and choose from it whenever it fits their beliefs.  they tend to manufacture evidence, and dismiss real evidence proposed by others.

this diminishes the credit we can give their argument, but they don't seem to comprehend that, unfortunately.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Don't worry, one of the physics experts that learned everything yesterday will chime in to tell you all you need to know. 
    some of us have been paying attention to this stuff before yesterday.

that's how education works.  it's something you have to do every day.

you don't just wait for someone to tell you what to think.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Yes you do.... It's called college. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    dammit @henapple - we're saving this thread for tonight.  GIT OFF!
    cool.  so you only learned stuff while in college, and did so by just being told what to think?

suddenly this 'college' thing sounds easy.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    College makes you smarter.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky