Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon

Comments

• mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    lousubcap said:
    A new bourbon crusade for me.  Can't be as difficult as finding Van Winkle. 
    I was expecting it in Chicago last month, but it hasn't made it here yet. They seemed to have plenty when we visited the distillery, and there shouldn't be any problem making as much as they want.
    Fair warning, they also released a 'sweet mash' that is far less interesting. I was glad I only bought one bottle of that one. But I was bitter I didn't buy more of the double double.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Phatchris said:
    4Runner said:
    I believe 1 stipulation to be called bourbon is at least 50% corn. Woodford is my favorite. 
    I believe it's 51%.. =)
    Yes, should be >= 51% and aged in new oak charred barrels.   Forget the proof but something like no more 80.  Bunch of other stuff too to distinguish from other whiskey or whisky.  :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Single favorite drink is technically a rye, but High West A Midwinter Nights Dram is something special. 

As far as regularly available,  Old Weller Antique, Eagle Rare, Wild Turkey 101, or any 4 Roses especially the Barrel Selects. I've got an OBSV that's really good now. 
  • Buckeye79 said:
    mrw123 said:
    mrw123 said:
    lousubcap said:
    Not @4Runner- but I have found that the Woodford Double Oaked is worth the difference.  Smoother and a more smokey flavor in my experience.  I do have Woodford's Single Barrel in house and find the Double Oaked to be a more enjoyable taste for me.  YMMV-
    Bottom-line it is all good.
    Have you tried the double double oak yet? If you haven't, I suggest looking for a bottle. I tried it last month and thought it was great.
    Wouldn't that be quadruple oak?  Additive or multiplicative it's the same answer. 
    I literally laughed out loud on that one.  

I would love to get my hands on a bottle of the double double. 

• Buckeye79 said:
    mrw123 said:
    mrw123 said:
    lousubcap said:
    Not @4Runner- but I have found that the Woodford Double Oaked is worth the difference.  Smoother and a more smokey flavor in my experience.  I do have Woodford's Single Barrel in house and find the Double Oaked to be a more enjoyable taste for me.  YMMV-
    Bottom-line it is all good.
    Have you tried the double double oak yet? If you haven't, I suggest looking for a bottle. I tried it last month and thought it was great.
    Wouldn't that be quadruple oak?  Additive or multiplicative it's the same answer. 
    I literally laughed out loud on that one.  

I would love to get my hands on a bottle of the double double. 

I will have to keep an eye out for it. 
  • This is one of my all time favorites. Elmer T. Lee single barrel. For those that don't know, Elmer Lee was (now retired) the master distiller/taster at Buffalo Trace distillery which also produces other great bourbons like Blantons and Pappy Van Winkle. This is his own private selection. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend you do!
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Woodford is my standby as well but that one time (not in band camp) that my cup found PVW 23 was heaven.  Agree with several other posts on the BH as well. 

LBGE 2014..... 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

I haven't bought a bottle (yet, maybe), but I had this at The Blackheart in Austin and it's probably the single best whiskey I've ever had.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    This is one of my all time favorites. Elmer T. Lee single barrel. For those that don't know, Elmer Lee was (now retired) the master distiller/taster at Buffalo Trace distillery which also produces other great bourbons like Blantons and Pappy Van Winkle. This is his own private selection. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend you do!
    One of my favorites, he passed in 2013, which made the bourbon a little more scarce IMO... I can still get it pretty regularly at $27 a bottle... Knock on wood

edit; my packy was all out today... :o
  • Phatchris said:
    This is one of my all time favorites. Elmer T. Lee single barrel. For those that don't know, Elmer Lee was (now retired) the master distiller/taster at Buffalo Trace distillery which also produces other great bourbons like Blantons and Pappy Van Winkle. This is his own private selection. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend you do!
    One of my favorites, he passed in 2013, which made the bourbon a little more scarce IMO... I can still get it pretty regularly at $27 a bottle... Knock on wood

$27 a bottle?!? Where are you located? I haven't seen it under $50 a bottle in my neck of the woods - Upstate South Carolina...
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Makers Cask Strength
  • Went through the Chattanooga Whiskey micro brewery yesterday-  you must try the Cask at 113 proof... Awesome!  
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Elmer T. Lee?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

I'm told it's Buffalo Trace's "Lexus". Who knows?  How bad can it be?  Not gonna last as long as that B.A. bottle of Knob with the cork bumping along the bottom (R.I.P.), but expect to get into it tonight while the brined turkey is drying out in the fridge.  Something around here ought to be drying out anyway. 

Cheers!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Phatchris said:

$27 a bottle?!? Where are you located? I haven't seen it under $50 a bottle in my neck of the woods - Upstate South Carolina...
    Just paid 37 at the spensive place. I bet it's 29 at our liquor outlet (Total Wines and Liquors). Home of tax free shipping, too, here in The First State. 

Never had had it, but am VERY encouraged by your posts!  Tonight's the night!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Phatchris said:

Just paid 37 at the spensive place. I bet it's 29 at our liquor outlet (Total Wines and Liquors). Home of tax free shipping, too, here in The First State. 

Never had had it, but am VERY encouraged by your posts!  Tonight's the night!
    Let us know what you think. 
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    SRFShane said:
    I joined a whiskey club this year, so I've gotten to try a few that I wouldn't normally.  My two favorites so far:

bourbon

If it's good enough for @SRFShane , I figured I'd give it a whirl. 

• I am a single malt scotch whisky guy but for my friends and the Thanksgiving Day Turkey its Knob Creek. What ever you enjoy raise a glass for those who serve our country.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris said:

Phatchris said:

Phatchris said:

I'm about 10 miles North of Boston, it disappears for a while, then resurfaces.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    One of these guys will get called to duty once the bird goes in the Egg. Soon!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Lowflyer said:
    Impressive! Just remember they ain't just for show. Enjoy!
  • @HendersonTRKing - What did you think of the Elmer T Lee?
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Lowflyer
    @pgprescott very true. Acquired them rather quickly so trying to save for special occasions like today and in Dec. 
  • Phatchris
    Lowflyer said:
    Whoa... Can I come over =) and help you out...
  • @HendersonTRKing - What did you think of the Elmer T Lee?
    The ladies wanted cocktails last night so we used Bulleit (+ splash of apple cider + splash of ginger beer + dash of bitters + apple garnish). Wouldn't "waste" Elmer on that venture.  Ladies were happy and the drinks were very nice. 

TONIGHT for sure.  Will let you know!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • mrw123
    Lowflyer said:
    Is that 2015 stagg? I've been scrambling to find one. Any interest in trading anything for it? 
  • Lowflyer
    @mrw123 yes it's a 2015. I'm still looking for a ER17 and WLW. No interest in trading. Thx
  • Lowflyer
    Decided to crack this guy. Tasty and different. 

• mrw123
    Lowflyer said:
    @mrw123 yes it's a 2015. I'm still looking for a ER17 and WLW. No interest in trading. Thx
    Good luck! I have WLW on the way. That and stagg are by far my favorites of BTAC. Enjoy! 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Decision made.  After great Thanksgiving feast.  Cheers to you all!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga