Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whatever your thoughts on climate change, this is BS & would cost all of us.

Options

Comments

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Wood is renewable.  Dude, I said that earlier.  
    What about all the CARBON EMISSIONS you are generating by Egging?  You know..the billowing smoke that comes out of your Egg.  Aren't you concerned about that?

If not, why are you worried about "global warming" supposedly caused by all those evil carbon emissions from cars, power plants, cow farts, etc?

(I don't expect a reasonable answer..pretty typical in my experience trying to have a reasonable debate with a lib).
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I told you but you evidently don't understand.
    edited November 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    Where is brother Haucheritz or the buffalo when we need them?
    Yeah this thread could use a dic pic...
    :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: Good one brother!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokyBear
    Options
    No, you didn't.  You just said "wood is renewable".

BZZT!  Wrong answer!  Thank you for playing.  We have some nice parting gifts for you, including a version of our home game.

Now, why aren't you concerned about all the damage you're doing to the planet and our children's futures by Egging? :)  You're putting off a TON of carbon emissions from that thing!!
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Here's the bottom line of your beliefs. I've asked these questions several times and only had one "angry" answer. 

If you believe in global warming and carbon footprint, what are YOU doing. Smaller house? Prius? No electricity? 

If you believe the govt serves the poor better than any other program...if you live under some guilt or perceived privilege, how much extra tax money do you send in? 

Much like evangelical Christians. If you really believed that the "unsaved" were going to burn for eternity, would you not stop what you're doing and commit all your time to warning people? 

If your really passionate and believe in something you'll adjust your life to an extreme. They say you can look at your expenses to see what's most important to you. Apparently... Mine is my children. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    No dude.  Look up "biomass" and "renewable energy".  Burning wood is burning carbon that's already in the cycle.  Presumably there's another tree growing where that came from.  You need to do some reading my friend.
    Options
    SmokyBear said:

BZZT!  Wrong answer!  Thank you for playing.  We have some nice parting gifts for you, including a version of our home game.

Now, why aren't you concerned about all the damage you're doing to the planet and our children's futures by Egging? :)  You're putting off a TON of carbon emissions from that thing!!
    Clearly you don't understand what is meant by wood being a renewable resource. I see Nola has already tried to help you but I'll go ahead and add this snippet that I dug up for you (it doesn't use a lot of big words so you'll be fine):

For that answer, we’ll turn to Bill Currie. He’s a professor in the School of Natural Resources at the University of Michigan.

“You have to think about, can we replace the carbon back in the pool that charcoal came from? Can we replace it biologically over a reasonable period of time? And with charcoal, the answer is yes, we can re-grow those trees," says Currie.

That’s because charcoal is made out of wood, which is a renewable energy source. So if charcoal is harvested locally in a sustainable way, the re-grown trees can absorb the CO2 - which makes charcoal essentially carbon neutral. So charcoal made out of wood which is renewable. Propane gas on the other hand is made from oil. Not renewable.

“Fuels that are based on coal, oil, petroleum based fuel, it’s not possible to put that CO2 back where it was biologically in a reasonable amount of time. And that’s the big difference,” says Currie.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    No matter what anyone says I'm going to keep burning wood and farting. I enjoy both. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    No dude.  Look up "biomass" and "renewable energy".  Burning wood is burning carbon that's already in the cycle.  Presumably there's another tree growing where that came from.  You need to do some reading my friend.
    It's a good thing you have justification for your noxious pollution!  Now go burn a lot of gasoline in your sports car and boat and top it off by smoking something for supper.  Carry on!
    Flint, Michigan
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    edited November 2015
    Options
    SmokyBear said:

(I don't expect a reasonable answer..pretty typical in my experience trying to have a reasonable debate with a lib).
    Your debates with libs haven't gone real well, huh?  Now there's a shock.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited November 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    . . . bottom line of your beliefs . . . 

If you believe in global warming and carbon footprint, what are YOU doing. Smaller house? Prius? No electricity? 

. . . 

That strikes me as a sillyish strawmanesque type of question, but I'll indulge.  
    . . . just a little.

First of all, there is no "believe in global warming".  Rational people don't "believe in" gravity, electricity, wetness of water, et al.  Likewise, global warming.

Now, questioning individuals' efforts in relation to AGW or any other problem/situation is perfectly valid.

However, to suggest - as did that one guy - that the world's backyard BBQing is even remotely comparable to the world's coal industry requires a level of erudition so low that it would shame even a . . . yes . . .
     . . . It would shame a kindergarten debate team.

And no, Henapple.  My household doesn't do everything possible to reduce our footprint, but we do as much as many - and more than most.
    ( :s  I don't actually know that.  Just guessing.  :|)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Sardonicus
    edited November 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    No matter what anyone says I'm going to keep burning wood and farting. I enjoy both. 
    You worry me.
    Recreational flatulence is a sickness.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm sure conservatives would listen to Al Gore, if only he lived in a tent in the middle of the Amazon, walked to work, and communicated via sea scrolls.

Yeah, probably not.

The idea that only those who are as pure as the driven snow on any given topic are allowed to express an opinion on it is pretty idiotic.

I'm old enough to remember when conservatives actually cared about conservation.  What a concept, right?  Somehow it's now more about making some kind of half assed argument about Al Gore's jet use.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    They all want you to "do as I say. Not do as I do."
    "Son, drinking is bad for you" as Dad slams down his 5th beer in 2 hours.

It's easy to criticize those who do not see the world through the same window as you.
    Changing their opinion is a fruitless venture. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Five beers in two hours? Slacker....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Wow - that's some twisted logic you guys use to justify pumping the ozone layer full of noxious fumes and carbon from your Egg.

Regardless of how you attempt to "justify" your (completely contrary to your political position) actions, the fact remains you are pumping a LOT of smoke and garbage into the ozone - you know..the very thing you guys are railing against those big, evil capitalistic companies for doing.

Debating with you is pointless - you're "true believers" and can't even see the obvious in front of your face.

BTW, the personal insults are so typical of liberals (and straight out of "rules for radicals") - when they can't win, they choose to degrade to name calling.  I won't even bother to respond to that as it's not worth the effort.

Enjoy the Thanksgiving.  But don't eat too much Turkey.  Their flatuence could lead to the end of life as we know it on the planet.  I'm sure the temp will raise at least .000001 degrees over the next decade or so as a result.  Be careful - and buy lots of sunscreen!!!
  • Sardonicus
    edited November 2015
    Options

You're funny.
    (In a good way, of course!  B))

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @henapple ... I didn't want to get too extreme in this thread.  =)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It's a good thing you have justification for your noxious pollution!  Now go burn a lot of gasoline in your sports car and boat and top it off by smoking something for supper.  Carry on!
    Fred: I am not against fossil fuels.  You cavemen always make that assumption.  I take great pleasure in driving my sports car, truck, etc.  I'm terribly sorry I'm burning the remnants of Dino and the bedrock biomass.  But the world must go on.

We need to transition to a cleaner existance.  Pissing in the bed gets nasty after a while.  Yeast, them little creatures without brains responsible for yummy beer and bread reproduce until their own piss kills them.  Kinda reminds me of you.
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    Wow - that's some twisted logic you guys use to justify pumping the ozone layer full of noxious fumes and carbon from your Egg.

Regardless of how you attempt to "justify" your (completely contrary to your political position) actions, the fact remains you are pumping a LOT of smoke and garbage into the ozone - you know..the very thing you guys are railing against those big, evil capitalistic companies for doing.

Debating with you is pointless - you're "true believers" and can't even see the obvious in front of your face.

BTW, the personal insults are so typical of liberals (and straight out of "rules for radicals") - when they can't win, they choose to degrade to name calling.  I won't even bother to respond to that as it's not worth the effort.

Enjoy the Thanksgiving.  But don't eat too much Turkey.  Their flatuence could lead to the end of life as we know it on the planet.  I'm sure the temp will raise at least .000001 degrees over the next decade or so as a result.  Be careful - and buy lots of sunscreen!!!
    LOL!
    We have all read "rules for radicals", ever since Obama insisted on it in the black helicopter training camps.
  • Sardonicus
    Options
    We have all read "rules for radicals", ever since Obama insisted on it in the black helicopter training camps.
    I had it tattooed on my johnson.
    Complete with illustrations.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Hahahaha
    Mine just says, "Ru" :confounded: 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    When relaxed, mine says M I T
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    It's on brietbart.  99% chance it is not true
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to the climate change debate, too busy just surviving and having a little fun now and then, but it seems to me the root issue with meat is we have too many heads of livestock running around to feed the people that demand meat...maybe the true ROOT cause of increased carbon emissions is not the food that people eat but the number of people in the world.  People eat food, people produce waste, people's food creates waste...now maybe there are just too many people on earth?  Add to that there are more everyday, we can cut cow emissions but how do we cut people emissions?
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SmokyBear said:

Clearly you don't understand what is meant by wood being a renewable resource. I see Nola has already tried to help you but I'll go ahead and add this snippet that I dug up for you (it doesn't use a lot of big words so you'll be fine):

For that answer, we’ll turn to Bill Currie. He’s a professor in the School of Natural Resources at the University of Michigan.

“You have to think about, can we replace the carbon back in the pool that charcoal came from? Can we replace it biologically over a reasonable period of time? And with charcoal, the answer is yes, we can re-grow those trees," says Currie.

That’s because charcoal is made out of wood, which is a renewable energy source. So if charcoal is harvested locally in a sustainable way, the re-grown trees can absorb the CO2 - which makes charcoal essentially carbon neutral. So charcoal made out of wood which is renewable. Propane gas on the other hand is made from oil. Not renewable.

“Fuels that are based on coal, oil, petroleum based fuel, it’s not possible to put that CO2 back where it was biologically in a reasonable amount of time. And that’s the big difference,” says Currie.

Well lets just grow some dinosaurs.... Boom give me a billion dollars I just solved our problem.... Somebody get me John Hammond on the line.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Fred: I am not against fossil fuels.  You cavemen always make that assumption.  I take great pleasure in driving my sports car, truck, etc.  I'm terribly sorry I'm burning the remnants of Dino and the bedrock biomass.  But the world must go on.

We need to transition to a cleaner existance.  Pissing in the bed gets nasty after a while.  Yeast, them little creatures without brains responsible for yummy beer and bread reproduce until their own piss kills them.  Kinda reminds me of you.
    @nolaegghead - A lot of folks here think you're a great guy.  Sadly, I only see a douche.
    Flint, Michigan