Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon

Options

Comments

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    The entire four roses line for me. Single Barrel or Small Batch when we have folks over but I enjoy the regular, less expensive stuff more than all the other big names. The reason you can't find the Single Barrel "by the barrel" anymore is because they ran out of juice. All the 20 somethings have turned bourbon hip. Sucks for us old farts who were drinking it before it was cool.

But for a really special occasion it's this. My liquor store manager calls me when it's available, which isn't very often.

Orphan Barrel Whiskey Distilling Company Releases Rhetoric 21-Year-Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • sandman98
    Options
    Another vote for Woodford. I try as many as I can, but keep coming back to it. 
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Four Roses discontinued at the LCBO in Ontario so I've been on the hunt all over Toromto to pick up as many as I can find for a buddy.  Found a handful and also finally found Woodford Double Oaked.  Have to admit it is mighty fine.  I'll mark that ballot.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    My liquor store manager calls me...

The idea that your liquor dealer has you on speed dial made me laugh.

Phoenix 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    blasting said:
    ksmyrl said:
    My liquor store manager calls me...

The idea that your liquor dealer has you on speed dial made me laugh.

Yeah, it's a little scary. But good spirits has always been a, shall we say, hobby of mine. I don't drink much beer, hardly any; and I don't smoke cigars any longer. So Ive devoted all my vice knowledge into spirits...mainly bourbon. He knows that he can call me with a "hey I have a new bottle of so and so..." and I'm in for at least a bottle or two. He saved his last case from the Four Roses Single Barrel barrel program for me. He said it was his gift to me for being such a good friend...errr customer. It's a fun hobby and I'm never out of booze.

My wife said it is really bad because she was in there recently and he asked to see her ID, he said "are you related to ksmyrl..."
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • TrailRunner
    Options
    @4Runner can you tell the difference between the regular Woodford and the DB? Is it a big difference? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Not @4Runner- but I have found that the Woodford Double Oaked is worth the difference.  Smoother and a more smokey flavor in my experience.  I do have Woodford's Single Barrel in house and find the Double Oaked to be a more enjoyable taste for me.  YMMV-
    Bottom-line it is all good.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TrailRunner
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Not @4Runner- but I have found that the Woodford Double Oaked is worth the difference.  Smoother and a more smokey flavor in my experience.  I do have Woodford's Single Barrel in house and find the Double Oaked to be a more enjoyable taste for me.  YMMV-
    Guess I'll have to pick up a bottle of DB to compare. Thanks. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I agree with @lousubcap. I would add that if you are new to drinking these spirits, your pallet will likely be much different than someone who has been drinking them for years. Might want to avoid the fuller flavored choices and cut it with a splash of water and ice. Cheers!
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    @4Runner can you tell the difference between the regular Woodford and the DB? Is it a big difference? 
    I like it but not worth the every day sip for me.  More for special occasions in my opinion.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Have you tried the double double oak yet? If you haven't, I suggest looking for a bottle. I tried it last month and thought it was great.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    mrw123 said:
    lousubcap said:
    Have you tried the double double oak yet? If you haven't, I suggest looking for a bottle. I tried it last month and thought it was great.
    Wouldn't that be quadruple oak?  Additive or multiplicative it's the same answer. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sippin a little Basil Hayden's, sorry to be so simple.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Sippin a little Basil Hayden's, sorry to be so simple.
    Top five for me, if not the top. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Basil Hayden was also the name of UK basketball's first All American.
    I keep it on the shelf.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    With you @pgprescott,  still awaiting the mother load.  When I land it, you'll need a plane ticket brother =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • TrailRunner
    Options
    mrw123 said:
    lousubcap said:
    Wouldn't that be quadruple oak?  Additive or multiplicative it's the same answer. 
    I literally laughed out loud on that one.  
  • wbradking
    Options
    @YukonRon he started at my alma mater before UK though!  I keep him on my shelf too.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I'll have to go with my family's (grandmother's) Old Forester Kentucky Straight Bourbon.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @Phatchris good luck finding Elmer T Lee all the hipsters found out about it and now the price has tripled and no where to be found in my area 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Danielson
    Options
    Weller's is a good bourbon for the money, Maker's Cast Strength is my new favorite. 
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    I joined a whiskey club this year, so I've gotten to try a few that I wouldn't normally.  My two favorites so far:

bourbon

Image 1

• matt121966
    Options
    First choice Angels Envy then Jefferson's Ocean, Weller 12.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    mrw123 said:
    lousubcap said:

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    McStew said:
    @Phatchris good luck finding Elmer T Lee all the hipsters found out about it and now the price has tripled and no where to be found in my area 
    I've heard that... I get it pretty regularly at $27 a bottle.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    4Runner said:
    I believe 1 stipulation to be called bourbon is at least 50% corn. Woodford is my favorite. 
    I believe it's 51%.. =)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Big yeti fill of Woodford now.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Buckeye79
    Options
    mrw123 said:
    mrw123 said:
    lousubcap said:

I would love to get my hands on a bottle of the double double. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    A new bourbon crusade for me.  Can't be as difficult as finding Van Winkle. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.