Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib on the Max

Braggart
Braggart Posts: 238
Bought a small 2 rib prime rib almost a week ago, finally got around to egging it today!  

Got almost a foot of snow Tuesday night and spent the last couple of days digging everyone out. Just couldn't get around to egging anything. 

No pictures of the raw roast this time, but trust that at one time it was exactly that...raw.   

Roast was rubbed with olive oil and seasoned with seasoning salt, granulated garlic, pepper, hot buffalo rub, and whatever else was handy. 

Took it out of the fridge at 330pm.  Started the MMax at 4pm.    15 mins later the temp started spiking to 400-450F.   Inserted the woo/stone/drip pan combo and the temp dropped to 300ish.  About 15 mins later, after everything inside started warming up, the temp read 400F.

In went the roast.  Tried to get the temp to stabilize at 350-375.   Vents we closed a bit, then some more. Then some more.  

Didn't open the top once to look...just trusted that the egg was doing its job. 

About 100 mins later, the thermometer (Digi Q. Just the temp probe) read 120.  

By the time it came out of the egg, the temp was at 125.   It was immediately tented and remained so for about 15 mins. 

It cut a perfect med rare.  

My first roast on the MMax.  Won't be my last.   I think my large egg is starting to feel neglected....

Large BGE
MMax BGE
Weber gasser
3 Dogs
No neighbours 
Living in Canada's bush

Comments