Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Schnitzel, spaetzle, & gravy

Options
It's October so I thought I'd whip up some schnitzel - I always think of it as German style chicken fry. Pounded and breaded some pork, then pan fried it. Then I made gravy with onions and mushrooms, beef broth, and heavy cream - thickened with pan juices and flour of course. Served up some spaetzle and red cabbage on the side. Washed it down with some cold Shiner beer.

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    That is a thing of beauty!!! Schnitzel magic I say!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice cook, one of our favourites. SWMBO prefers au gratins to the spaetzle, I go either way. Lately we've gone with panko crumbs, the grand kids like the crunch a bit better. Ever tied corn flake crumbs, very nice with the cream gravy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Great!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nice cook, one of our favourites. SWMBO prefers au gratins to the spaetzle, I go either way. Lately we've gone with panko crumbs, the grand kids like the crunch a bit better. Ever tied corn flake crumbs, very nice with the cream gravy. 
    I haven't tried corn flake crumbs - I'll give them a try. Thanks!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    You are making me weep.
    A great German meat market/grocery/deli/restaurant opened here in Ogden last May, Berlin's, that I fell in love with.  Today, in the local paper, they announced they were closing, and their fantastic schnitzel and goulash are now.... gone.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Botch said:
    You are making me weep.
    A great German meat market/grocery/deli/restaurant opened here in Ogden last May, Berlin's, that I fell in love with.  Today, in the local paper, they announced they were closing, and their fantastic schnitzel and goulash are now.... gone.  

You have my sympathy. Just have to take SciAggie's lead and make your own!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Looks good. My favorite restaurant in Columbia, Julia's German Stammich, got demolished during the flooding. A few weeks back. So sad. Literally the first thing I said when I returned home from evacuation is "I hope Julia's" made it. Well, they have a gofundme page now. I sure hope she reopens. Literally the best schnitzel and spaetzle I have ever had. This includes the famous Figmuller in Vienna--- doesn't touch Julia's. Thanks for the reminder.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks amazing. Now I want that for lunch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SciAggie
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind remarks. @Chubbs I hope the restaurant reopens. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    ausgezeichnet
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SciAggie
    Options
    ausgezeichnet
    Had to Google it - thanks. It's my inlaws that are German descent; I'm all American mutt.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    looks so good @SciAggie!! Just out of curiosity, did you get out the spatzel maker?
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• SciAggie
    Options
    @allsid For this cook I was lazy. My wife found some packaged spaetzle and we wanted to try it (for convenience.) Like most packaged foods it wasn't as good as home made. When we make it ourselves I just extrude the dough through a colander with a spoon over boiling water. Is there a dedicated tool for making spaetzle?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Great plated shot.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    He perfect dish for Octoberfest. Where the Weisebier?
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @allsid For this cook I was lazy. My wife found some packaged spaetzle and we wanted to try it (for convenience.) Like most packaged foods it wasn't as good as home made. When we make it ourselves I just extrude the dough through a colander with a spoon over boiling water. Is there a dedicated tool for making spaetzle?
    There is- It looks like a cheese grater with a box on it which slides back and forth. You put the batter in the box and slide it back and forth dripping the noodles into the water.  My grandma Hilda had one and she whipped up a lot of spatzel when we were kids. Brought back lots of memories but the reason I asked is when I try to make them from scratch, I mostly make a mess. Will have to give the box a try sometime...
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• SciAggie
    Options
    allsid said:
    the reason I asked is when I try to make them from scratch, I mostly make a mess. 
    I usually make a mess too.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Holy Schnitzel !  :flushed: 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Looks killer.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    He perfect dish for Octoberfest. Where the Weisebier?
    I keep having to google this stuff - lol. I'm the American mutt - I just drink the Shiner from the bottle.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Klatschen!  Makes me feel like I'm young eating something my Grandfather whipped up. Nice work Sir. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL