Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southern Seafood Boil. Dixie Style.

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Wow, it doesn't get any better than that, outstanding SGH.  There's nothing like a sea food boil.  
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    logchief said:
    Wow, it doesn't get any better than that, outstanding SGH.  There's nothing like a sea food boil.  
    Thanks man. And I'm inclined to agree. It just doesn't get much better than seafood. I love the stuff!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Jeremiah said:
    I've honestly never seen shrimp cooked and served whole like that. Is that just personal preference?
    Brother Miah, it must be a southern thing. I don't know of anyone down here that removes the heads before boiling. Even the majority of restaraunts serves them this away. I prefer them head on. The heads give that natural shrimp flavor to the boil. It's akin to cooking crawfish. Crawfish and crabs are both boiled with the heads still on. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wow!!! Beautiful Cook! Thanks for the step by step. Your the man!!!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Fantastic, and amazing looking Brother @SGH ! I have to do a boil soon, it has been awhile, the shrimp are easy to get, I have to go to San Francisco for fresh crab, 12 miles over the bridge(no biggie). You have inspired me! Enjoy the feast!
    :peace:
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    Your the man!!!
    I'm just one of the many ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH

Wow!!! Beautiful Cook! Thanks for the step by step. Your the man!!!
    Thanks for the very kind words my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2015
    anton said:
    Fantastic, and amazing looking Brother @SGH ! I have to do a boil soon, it has been awhile, the shrimp are easy to get, I have to go to San Francisco for fresh crab, 12 miles over the bridge(no biggie). You have inspired me! Enjoy the feast!
    Thank you brother. And speaking of crabs, look what I got thawing in the sink. A dozen soft shells that I'm going to fry up tonight!!

Status- Standing by.

• @SGH The seafood boil looks fantastic.  We have done so,etching similar and it's a great fun meal to have with friends.  Quick question on the soak.  If you get it down to 145 degrees, the shrimp and other foods will just stay warm and not cook anymore?  I made this mistake last time I did it and the shrimp was way overdone.  Thanks and love your cooks. 
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • SGH
    Quick question on the soak.  If you get it down to 145 degrees, the shrimp and other foods will just stay warm and not cook anymore?  
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. As to the question above, dropping the water to 145 degrees stops the cooking process. Once you drop the water temp, you can let them soak almost as long as you want. I have let crabs, shrimp and crawfish soak up to 4 hours without any issue. Just remember this, the longer they soak, the spicier they will be. I use the same pot and the same amount of water almost every time.  As such I figured out that it takes 10-12 pounds of ice to drop 7 gallons of water from a boil to 145 degrees. If you use a different amount of water, just use your thermopen to get down to 145. 

Status- Standing by.

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    YukonRon said:

We do these twice a year, on memorial and Labor Day weekends. My BIL is a tugboat captain in NOLA, and on Friday he fills a couple coolers with seafood and ice and drives up for the cook.

This makes me feel really nostalgic about my barge dispatching days and the parties I used to attend which were mostly pig roasts and crawfish boils.   I used to travel to New Orleans on occasion, and I am still fascinated by the culture.

Laissez le bon temps rouler! 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The recipe would cost about ten grand here in middle Canada but damnit looks awesome!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    The recipe would cost about ten grand here in middle Canada but damnit looks awesome!
    Thank you for the kind words. Cheap seafood is definitely one of the benefits to living on the coast. We have reasonably affordable prostitutes as well ;) I'm only kidding about the prostitutes my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• But ten grand candian is like forty bucks US
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    SGH said:
    anton said:
    Thank you brother. And speaking of crabs, look what I got thawing in the sink. A dozen soft shells that I'm going to fry up tonight!!

You gotta show pics of that, those are incredible.  And yeah you're damn lucky to be able to get that seafood on the gulf, but the summer humidity sucks
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    @SGH thank you brother. 
    I think my time to do this again is getting short with the move to Colorado. Anyway, I think next Memorial Day weekend may be the the last. Anyone interested in one heckuva time, let me know. We will be glad to put you up. It is not wise to try and drive after our events. They may be Bohemian, but by goodness, they are so much fun!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    logchief said:
    You gotta show pics of that, those are incredible.  And yeah you're damn lucky to be able to get that seafood on the gulf, but the summer humidity sucks
    Short of a disaster I will post pics of the crabs. And yes, the humidity certainly sucks down here in Dixieland my friend. And I thank you for the kind words. 

Status- Standing by.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Soft shells are one of my favorites- can't wait to see the results.  Have you ever grilled a soft shell? I haven't but hear it is a great way to cook them as well.
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    Wolfpack said:
     Have you ever grilled a soft shell? I haven't but hear it is a great way to cook them as well.
    It's been quite some time since I have grilled them. And yes they are excellent grilled.  Really soft shells are great prepared pretty much by any method. They are very, very versatile. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Holy Shlt!  Most excellent brother @SGH.  Home run!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    SGH said:
    We have reasonably affordable prostitutes as well ;) 
    I hope they are cheaper than the hotels in NOLA! ;-)
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Holy smokes, I would destroy that.  Nicely done.
    First thoughts, you earned your own double seal brother.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SGH
    Focker said:
    Holy smokes, I would destroy that.  Nicely done.
    First thoughts, you earned your own double seal brother.  
    You are to kind my friend. But thank you all the same. 

Status- Standing by.

• coooltroy
    coooltroy Posts: 207
    @SGH DUDE, you are awesome.  Briefly makes me wish I wasn't on the West coast... that makes me miss the South where I have been on travel!  Great job.  Love the South.
  • SGH
    edited October 2015
    coooltroy said:
    @SGH DUDE, you are awesome.  Briefly makes me wish I wasn't on the West coast... that makes me miss the South where I have been on travel!  Great job.  Love the South.
    Thank you brother. I was born and raised here on the coast. The "south" is in my blood. I have had the good fortune of traveling and getting to work in a lot of places. Both foreign and abroad. In the end, there is no place like home. No matter where home maybe. 

Status- Standing by.

• Very nice! Love a great boil! 
  • Question for you @SGH. I'm not terribly experienced with boils, but have done a few. 32 oz of liquid boil seems like a lot. Never used it before; just heard that it's potent stuff.

My boy gazing at dinner at his 2nd birthday party:

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • SGH
    Very nice! Love a great boil! 
    Thank you brother. I appreciate it. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH

Question for you @SGH. I'm not terribly experienced with boils, but have done a few. 32 oz of liquid boil seems like a lot. Never used it before; just heard that it's potent stuff.

My boy gazing at dinner at his 2nd birthday party:

Fine looking little fellow you have there. And some fine looking grub to boot!! As to the crab boil, you have to remember that I'm adding it to a true 7 gallons of water plus over 15 pounds of food. You are correct about it being potent, but with the volume of water and weight of the food that I'm using, it works out just right. If you were using less water and less food, you certainly would want to cut back a little on the crab boil.  

Status- Standing by.

• Damn! I wish I lived closer to a coast! Looks fantastic Scottie.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.