Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southern Seafood Boil. Dixie Style.

Options

Comments

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Now that is a thing of beauty. Love the addition of mushrooms, asparagus, and lemons. Well done!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Nice snack!

Quick question ... your seafood boil process is different than any I've seen 'cuz you boiled to time and then pulled the food.  Up until today, every one I've participated in kept the food in the water ... you simply dipped and plated the food.  Some words of enlightenment please.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @SGH ... as expected, you provided a great explanation.  Thanks.

My job has always been to come in at the end and eat 'till stuffed.  Wasn't aware of what came before.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Now that is a thing of beauty. Love the addition of mushrooms, asparagus, and lemons. Well done!
    Thank you for the kind words. The mushrooms and asparagus are always a huge hit. A word of caution though, they really pick up the spice. They will be MUCH hotter than the shrimp and crabs. But this is how I like them =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My job has always been to come in at the end and eat 'till stuffed.
    I'm I pro myself at eating until stuffed my friend =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Goodness gracious... I need that for breakfast. :how_interesting:  Nice cook! 
    Thank you sister. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @YukonRon Always feel free to post anything that you want on one of my threads. Especially when it looks that good. That is some outstanding looking grub my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Looks awesome. I have never included crab before but will now. How many people you think that pot feeds in mixed company?
    The pot I use is somewhat large (120 quarts). You can load it with 60 pounds of 30 count shrimp or 80 pound of crawfish. If you load it up heavy, you could easily feed 25 people or 15-20 heavyweights pretty easily. 

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Again, very nice.  I love mushrooms as well but your warning is spot on - they become little nuclear bombs, really soaking up the pepper into those ribs.

Quick question on the dwell after the cook, the cook times seem so precise, but then it all sits in near boiling water for another 60 min.  I would think the softer veg and the shrimp and crab especially would more than cook just in the 60 min of dwell.  Does the front end timing really make that much difference other than for the potatoes?
  • SGH
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Legume said:
    Quick question on the dwell after the cook, the cook times seem so precise, but then it all sits in near boiling water for another 60 min.  I would think the softer veg and the shrimp and crab especially would more than cook just in the 60 min of dwell.  Does the front end timing really make that much difference other than for the potatoes?
    When I turn off the fire, I immediately pour 10-12 pounds of ice into the hot pot. This stops the cooking process immediately. I pour ice, again usually 10-12 pounds to drop the temp of the hot water down to 145 degrees. This will cause all of the seafood food to sink and really absorb the spices. The sudden shock of the ice causes the shells to slightly separate from their bodies allowing them to pick up more spice. But you are correct, if you don't drop the water temp, the seafood would continue to cook while soaking and come out over cooked. I always cool the water to 145 for the soaking. Either by pouring in ice or spraying the outside of the pot with a water hose. I prefer the ice method as it works much faster. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    The longer you let them soak, the hotter that they will be. 
    20 minutes=mild
    35-45 minute=spicy. 
    1+ hour=Hot.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Legume said:
    .  Does the front end timing really make that much difference other than for the potatoes?
    The front end timing makes all of the difference in the world for the crab and shrimp. If you over boil shrimp, they are gummy and very hard to peel. Over boiled crabs are mushy. A mere 60 seconds on shrimp is huge my friend. Have you ever had shrimp that you just couldn't hardly peel? They were over boiled. 

Status- Standing by.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I love seafood boils. Well done
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    SGH said:
    Legume said:
    .  Does the front end timing really make that much difference other than for the potatoes?
    The front end timing makes all of the difference in the world for the crab and shrimp. If you over boil shrimp, they are gummy and very hard to peel. Over boiled crabs are mushy. A mere 60 seconds on shrimp is huge my friend. Have you ever had shrimp that you just couldn't hardly peel? They were over boiled. 

Yes, your answer with ice cleared this up for me.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Wow, SGH needs to open a restaurant.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Can't top a seafood concoction like this!  Very tasty looking grub my friend.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SGH
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    Can't top a seafood concoction like this!  Very tasty looking grub my friend.
    Thank you brother. Seafood is honest to goodness one of my very favorites. I love the stuff. 

Status- Standing by.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    You are a BAD Man and I mean this in the nicest way, this looks AWESOME!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Dang-doesn't matter how you get there the end-result is what counts.  A friggin banquet for the ages (or dinner for @SGH :) ) right there.  Most eggcellent.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Bravo! Makes me miss Louisiana where I gee up. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    You just earned your very own ...

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    Options
    You just earned your very own ...

You are to kind brother Ozzie. Thank you my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    It's like he lives near the Gulf and really knows this ____.  Impressive. i'm hungry for seafood.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • SGH
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    It's like he lives near the Gulf and really knows this ____.  Impressive. i'm hungry for seafood.
    Thanks brother. I feel lucky to have born and raised on the gulf. We have access to fresh seafood almost year around. I have some snapper and softshell crabs soaking in milk right now for tonight. 

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    As above, the restaurant business is tough and cut-throat.  Last I checked around 80%+ are gone within two years.  Deep pockets and finding a niche market with staying power is about the best you can do.  Full props to anyone who can get in and survive.
    Hopefully @badinfluence beats the odds as I know he is busting his ba--s just to make it go.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    You sure know how to hurt a land-locked guy in the middle of the country!!! THAT looked heavenly!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Sweet!    Love a seafood boil.  When we had a beach house a few years back we had and old table that was to be used for nothing but pouring the low country boil onto.   Nothing is better than a low country boil and cold beer!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    You sure know how to hurt a land-locked guy in the middle of the country!!! THAT looked heavenly!!!
    Ron, if you ever find yourself around the coast, say just this side of Biloxi, give me a shout my friend. I will whip up something similar to this and also will send you home with a load of fresh shrimp. On the house of course.  

Status- Standing by.